Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Railcar Simulator

Just a quick update: half of the downloads have been taken, but I don't know which ones, so you may need to try several times to find a free one. Anyone who buys, or has already bought, a copy before the free downloads run out, will get a significant discount off Version 2 in the future!

Hi, thanks for the free key. I used the first link. I will later test it. Unfortunately, right now only have mobile access. Just wanted to let others know which key I used.

At least the mods here are faster than those at UKTrainSim who still haven't approved my initial announcement.
    They still don't seem to have put anything up about it, shame on them. There's more to train simming than Dovetails products which is what UKTS seems to largely exist for these days and why I'm happy to support and encourage ongoing development of Oskari's sim.

A Class 120 would be excellent, particularly if you could emulate the famous exhaust "rasp" on pullaway and a route editor would be the icing on the cake - Central Wales line anybody?
    Vern.

Hi, I now have experienced it a bit. Game seems intelligent enough to adjust itself to user errors. On the quick start I passed the stop signal, the game recognized that and guided me to go back. Better than MSTS which would've ended the activity. I liked that DRS notifies about crossing trains number, this can be handy later when activity editor is released. It's also nice that it has warmer sunlight color. Performance, UI, graphics are ok to me.

Not complaining, well only a little bit

One thing i would like to see in the next version, is the un-tethering of the mouse to the camera, except if the right mouse button is held down.

Mike.
    Remember always that a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    A Class 120 would be excellent, particularly if you could emulate the famous exhaust "rasp" on pullaway and a route editor would be the icing on the cake - Central Wales line anybody?
    Good news, I've just been provided with a massive amount of original audio recordings free for use, including the exhaust rasp for a Class 120 and other types as well, so adding one is definitely feasible.

Even though the route editor is planned for version 2, having one for DRS would be useful for maintaining interest until v2 is ready. It could be a simple mini route editor akin to the one in Jens Schubert's original RailSim.

I've decided to release a number of smaller free updates to the sim until Version 2 is finished. They don't tax the v2 development because the updates are mostly improvements I'd have to make for v2 anyway, i.e. they're "side products" of the v2 project.

Here's what I have in mind:

v1.1 (Aug-Sep): I'm going to start with a thorough clean-up of the codebase and make several optimizations. The intended result is that the sim should start and run faster and more smoothly. For higher end systems there will also be more graphics options for increased graphics quality.

v1.2 (Sep-Oct): This will be a sounds update to incorporate the realistic audio I've received. In addition the underlying audio system will be improved to enable more sounds to be played simultaneously and with effects such as reverb.

Here are some further planned items. The order, timeline and details become more clear after the first updates have been released:

* Class 120
    * Some loco with goods wagons and Mk1 coaches (might be AI-only)
    * Ability to add custom services to a timetable
    * New routes
    * Mini route editor
    * Smoother terrain with hi-res textures
    * More realistic sky
    * Improved track/signalling/station infra
    * Better scenery (roads, buildings etc.)

In addition each update may contain various smaller fixes and features which I'm gathering from people's e-mails and comments onto my todo-list.

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Many thanks for the free key (I think) I used the a73RFj.... key!
    I've only tried it with the simple controls up to now, but it looks very promising, and I love the sounds and the cab-sway.

I'll certainly purchase a copy, very soon.
    Thanks!

All the free downloads have now been used! Regarding the discount promise I made earlier, I have the e-mail addresses of everyone who bought the sim while the free downloads were offered. Once v2 is ready for sale (a year or two from now) I'll e-mail you the discount codes in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapioware View Post
    Good news, I've just been provided with a massive amount of original audio recordings free for use, including the exhaust rasp for a Class 120 and other types as well, so adding one is definitely feasible.

Even though the route editor is planned for version 2, having one for DRS would be useful for maintaining interest until v2 is ready. It could be a simple mini route editor akin to the one in Jens Schubert's original RailSim.

I've decided to release a number of smaller free updates to the sim until Version 2 is finished. They don't tax the v2 development because the updates are mostly improvements I'd have to make for v2 anyway, i.e. they're "side products" of the v2 project.

Here's what I have in mind:

v1.1 (Aug-Sep): I'm going to start with a thorough clean-up of the codebase and make several optimizations. The intended result is that the sim should start and run faster and more smoothly. For higher end systems there will also be more graphics options for increased graphics quality.

v1.2 (Sep-Oct): This will be a sounds update to incorporate the realistic audio I've received. In addition the underlying audio system will be improved to enable more sounds to be played simultaneously and with effects such as reverb.

Here are some further planned items. The order, timeline and details become more clear after the first updates have been released:

* Class 120
    * Some loco with goods wagons and Mk1 coaches (might be AI-only)
    * Ability to add custom services to a timetable
    * New routes
    * Mini route editor
    * Smoother terrain with hi-res textures
    * More realistic sky
    * Improved track/signalling/station infra
    * Better scenery (roads, buildings etc.)

In addition each update may contain various smaller fixes and features which I'm gathering from people's e-mails and comments onto my todo-list.
    Good evening folks,

I'm pleased to let people know that I'm the chap who has sent several audio files over to Oskari, with the hope of improving the sounds in this already-excellent new simulator .
    DMUs have for a long time been the poor relation in the various Simulators released thus far. This looks like it'll put the others to shame .

Thanks for releasing this Oskari .

Very Best Wishes,
    Bob.

I just bought this and it is downloading now (Thursday afternoon, Aussie time).
    I've also watched the video on YT. Vern, guess what this reminds me of in a small way?

Looking forward to the progression of this sim....it appears to be very promising indeed and all the best to the developer.

UPDATE.
    After running the sim a couple of times I find it to be very enjoyable....particularly with the sound turned up!
    Might I suggest that the mouse be untethered and one of the buttons be pressed in order to activate it? At the moment it is most disconcerting to nudge the mouse and have the view suddenly veer off centre!
    (I just noticed Mike had mentioned the same thing!)

I'd love to see this sim move away from the fictional environment and into a real-world situation......maybe with v2?

Great fun! Well done to the dev.
    Last edited by seagoon; 07-27-2017 at 01:58 AM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I've also watched the video on YT. Vern, guess what this reminds me of in a small way?
    Our old friend Zusi 2 but with much improved graphics.

Hopefully sales of V1 will allow investment back into V2, I see someone has now posted in the "Other Train Sims" section at UKTS, largely positive too but still no official announcement on the front page there. Actually on that subject, wonder if it's worth Oskari dropping a PM to Nels and asking him to put an announcement on the TS.com front page?
    Vern.