Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel Railcar Simulator

I've generally used the OS DEM data from UKTS for anything UK, though I believe it may have been superceded in terms of quality and resolution. US DEM I either use the NASA SRTM but the old stuff is not always seamless and needs patching or there is another site (name escapes me as not posting from the development computer) which doesn't always work but when it's up has hi-res seamless. Rest of the world I use the Viewfinder DEM site, http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html which is generally good enough.

As regards what works well you could write an essay about that and the response will vary from user to user. What I like about Trainz is the ease of carrying out basic operations and terrain painting also relatively easy to get new assets and terrain textures in there too. However the MSTS tile terrtex is good too especially for doing large areas. Railworks has the worst implementation in that respect. Track laying - I do like the Railworks system though it is sometimes hard to control the curve radius but there are times where fixed geometry points as in MSTS would come in handy.

Outside the DEM and mapping support, the other main thing I would suggest is a good initial stock of useable assets. Many of the routes in Railworks now have custom large assets, e.g. a complete station rather than individual components and therefore unsuitable for other use. While it does risk the possibility of identikit routes (at least at first) a reasonable collection of assets covering most areas of track and scenery would be of benefit. Exporters to the relevant format from the popular 3D modelling packages (3D Crafter, Blender no sure about Max) also pretty much essential.
    Vern.

I've just spent two hours in this sim and just have to compliment the developer on the thought he's put into it.

When I first fired it up yesterday and tried it I did so in the "Easy" mode, so that I could become familiar with the requirements of operating a DMU.
    All this requires is to use the Up and Down arrows.

This afternoon I tried the realistic mode of driving the DMU lash-up and was blown away by how much thought the dev has put into how to arrange the controls for the reverser, the brakes, the gearbox, the throttle and the horns: everything can be done by the left hand flicking between Q,W,E, A, S, D, Z, X and C.
    Nine keys, three fingers.....and for the AWS, a simple flick of the thumb on the [Spacebar].

To help become familiar with the controls, he has provided little pop-up prompts, which can be turned off when no longer needed....along with five other "helps" which make the job of easing into the sim very easy.

All credit to the man....the amount of thought he's put into this is outstanding.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Sad to hear you only have 3 fingers on your left hand Bruce.

Seriously though everything you said i fully agree with.

Very well thought out controls and the HUD is excellent. Particularly for someone like myself, with a memory span of 90 seconds.

I love the "Watch Mode" and being a passenger. Something i really miss when running TS20xx.
    Remember always that a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust

Loving the simulator, I think it's excellent. Is there plans to have a more open world mode? Basically, where you can start up (for example) a 24-hour timetable and just fly around watching the trains or take over any services you wish off the AI? Also, how about a map of the whole route to get an idea of where you are?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Rest of the world I use the Viewfinder DEM site, http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/dem3.html which is generally good enough.
    Thanks, the Viewfinder site was new to me. So to summarize: DEM, OSM & model importing, track laying, terrain painting and plenty of standard 3d-models are some of the key points to get right in a route editor. I've experimented with some of this stuff already and have a couple of possibly novel ideas as well to make these easier.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    I've just spent two hours in this sim and just have to compliment the developer on the thought he's put into it.
    Thank you, I'm glad the effort I put into it was not in vain! Watching some Youtube videos of non-train-enthusiasts playing the sim also seems confirm this, although they're confused with basic concepts like signals and stopping markers which are mostly familiar to everyone here. Need to figure out something to do about that.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    I love the "Watch Mode" and being a passenger. Something i really miss when running TS20xx.
    I was wondering if anyone tried the watch mode, nice to see it has found some use! It's really useful for testing out stuff as well, possibly your own routes in the future. You can also observe some of the finer points of the AI in action, namely the way it does not have full immediate knowledge of the signal ahead until it's close enough to 'see' it. It's also possible to mess with the AI, for example by holding down the brake release key to see how it copes with overrunning a station stop.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Class92 View Post
    Loving the simulator, I think it's excellent. Is there plans to have a more open world mode? Basically, where you can start up (for example) a 24-hour timetable and just fly around watching the trains or take over any services you wish off the AI? Also, how about a map of the whole route to get an idea of where you are?
    Thanks! It should already be possible to do some of what you describe. Just select one of the services and go to 'watch mode' to enable computer control. You can freely change trains in this mode and if the run stops and goes to the evaluation screen, just select 'continue watching' (and change trains). To take over an AI train, press ESC and go to the 'driving settings' screen and select 'drive'. Relinquishing control works the same but select 'watch' instead.

Free-roam camera mode is planned for the next free update in a few months. I've also made note of the map idea to my todo-list.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapioware View Post
    .....although they're confused with basic concepts like signals.....
    Mr. Lapioware (sorry, I don't know your name) you have raised a point regarding signals......which have me puzzled (the signals, that is).
    I am used to the light systems used in the various sims and have not seen semaphores for some time - last was in (I think) MSTS on a British railway route.

Firstly, are the semaphores animated in DRS?
    Secondly, what is a clear-to-proceed signal.....arm raised, arm horizontal or arm lowered?
    Thirdly...the AWS sounded (and I reset it okay), I was approaching this gantry, with the signals as seen, sailed past and then all hell broke loose and help pop-ups went berserk!
    So I followed the instructions, reversed, and sat, waiting for the signal to do something.

DRS.jpg

But it didn't, in which event I backed out to the Main menu, restarted that route, received the AWS warning again, pulled up at the signal, sat there waiting for it to "change", which it didn't. So I proceeded past it and nothing happened...I just continued on my way.

What am I doing wrong?
    When the AWS sounds, I assume that this means a signal ahead is set against me. Is that correct?

I am somewhat confused by these semaphores; there's no escaping the meaning of a red light but these antiquated devices bemuse me.
    Last edited by seagoon; 07-30-2017 at 07:18 AM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Hi seagoon,
    Simple! If the signal is red and white (Home or Starter) and arm is horizontal, it means stop. If the signal is yellow and black (Distant) and the arm is horizontal, it may be passed as it means that the next signal is possibly at stop, otherwise, it indicates that the next signal is also clear. In all cases, if the arm is raised (or lowered in older times!), it means the route is clear, at least to the next signal.

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 07-30-2017 at 06:15 AM.