Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: SESSION: Run8's 5th Anniversary Session!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Valhalla Tower
    Posts
    71

    Default SESSION: Run8's 5th Anniversary Session!

    Hello everyone!

    Just wanted to invite you to a very important session in Run8 history!

    For those that don't remember, Run8 Train Simulator was first released on August 25th, 2012. On August 27th 2017(or 28th we're not entirely sure yet) we will host what we hope to be the largest session in Run8 history celebrating the 5th Anniversary of Run8 Train Simulator!

    All details can be found in the link below. To sign up for the session, you MUST have an account on Run8Servers.

    Hope to see you all there!

    Click Here To Sign Up! http://run8servers.com/s/58

    "Skippy Granola's groovy dreamcatcher is pickin' up some bummer vibes." -Rell Julian. Bulletstorm
    Run8 Western Site Founder www.run8western.com

  2. #2

    Default

    Sorry you are not using TeamSpeak. I tried multiple times to figure out Discord and never succeeded. Sorry to miss your session.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Valhalla Tower
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flarrfan2 View Post
    Sorry you are not using TeamSpeak. I tried multiple times to figure out Discord and never succeeded. Sorry to miss your session.
    Discord is preferred but not required for the session. Using Run8's text chat is fine. Teamspeak would be used for the session if my server could hold more than 32 people.

  4. #4

    Default

    I want to be a part of this session, and have been looking at the bid board. Is there somewhere I can learn how to read the train symbol/name (i. e. "Z-LACNYC") and tell what route it will take? (does "Z-LACNYC" indicate a destination of New York City?)
    Thanks,
    -Glenn

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Valhalla Tower
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gltech View Post
    I want to be a part of this session, and have been looking at the bid board. Is there somewhere I can learn how to read the train symbol/name (i. e. "Z-LACNYC") and tell what route it will take? (does "Z-LACNYC" indicate a destination of New York City?)
    Thanks,
    -Glenn
    Absolutely!
    You can find the three letter BNSF Symbols here http://www.qstation.org/bnsf/bnsfsymbols.html

    And you can find the two letter Union Pacific Symbols here http://www.uphs.org/trainsymbols.htm

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digitrax83 View Post
    Absolutely!
    You can find the three letter BNSF Symbols here http://www.qstation.org/bnsf/bnsfsymbols.html

    And you can find the two letter Union Pacific Symbols here http://www.uphs.org/trainsymbols.htm
    Thank you digi. Is there a way to get a world or train file ahead of time so I can "try out" my train/route?

    Thanks,
    -Glenn

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Valhalla Tower
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gltech View Post
    Thank you digi. Is there a way to get a world or train file ahead of time so I can "try out" my train/route?

    Thanks,
    -Glenn
    I can send you the worldsave if you'd like to try out any train in the session for yourself.

    Check your PMs.

    I see you've signed up on the session, but you can change trains anytime before the day of the session.
    "Skippy Granola's groovy dreamcatcher is pickin' up some bummer vibes." -Rell Julian. Bulletstorm
    Run8 Western Site Founder www.run8western.com

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digitrax83 View Post
    I can send you the worldsave if you'd like to try out any train in the session for yourself.

    Check your PMs.

    I see you've signed up on the session, but you can change trains anytime before the day of the session.
    Thanks again digi -- I got the world file, great!

    A little more advice please -- I've ran as single player, and casually on most of the servers, for quite a while. I'm pretty sure I can handle the train itself. What I don't know is what is otherwise expected on a session like this. Is there documentation somewhere that explains stuff like:
    >Do I need to communicate with the dispatcher to start moving? (different for a CTC signal/switch vs. entering CTC track via a non-CTC switch?)
    >What signals do I call? (seems like I recall that different railroads have different rules)
    >Do I need to use tones? If so, how can I learn about that?
    >What's the procedure if I break a coupler or suffer a defect? (to minimize disruption)
    >Anything else like this I need to be prepared for.

    Thanks,
    -Glenn
    Last edited by gltech; 08-13-2017 at 02:04 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Valhalla Tower
    Posts
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gltech View Post
    Thanks again digi -- I got the world file, great!

    A little more advice please -- I've ran as single player, and casually on most of the servers, for quite a while. I'm pretty sure I can handle the train itself. What I don't know is what is otherwise expected on a session like this. Is there documentation somewhere that explains stuff like:
    >Do I need to communicate with the dispatcher to start moving? (different for a CTC signal/switch vs. entering CTC track via a non-CTC switch?)
    >What signals do I call? (seems like I recall that different railroads have different rules)
    >Do I need to use tones? If so, how can I learn about that?
    >What's the procedure if I break a coupler or suffer a defect? (to minimize disruption)
    >Anything else like this I need to be prepared for.

    Thanks,
    -Glenn
    The main rules I'll list right here:

    1. Golden Rule: Please be respectful of staff and each other
    2. Obey all Speed Limits. If you don't know the limit, please ask. (Or use Left Shift+N)
    3. Use the appropriate Discord Channel based on your trains location (CH 12, CH55, etc)
    4. Dispatchers will use the DS boards and voice communication to dispatch trains.
    5. Please DO NOT adjust the Hump Controller Tags.
    6. Only choose a local if you know how to run it. (I.E. Boron Local, Cadiz Local, Edison Local etc) Many members of the community are familiar with some of these trains and will help you out if you are struggling with a local.
    7. This is NOT a "bring your own train" session. But if you have a prototypical consist that the staff approves of you will be allowed to spawn it in. Consist Editor Permissions will be disabled by default.
    8. If you do not own a microphone, please use Discord's Text Chat or Run8's built in chat. (TAB Key)
    9. If you wish to contact the dispatcher, please Tone him/her or use the text chat if you don't know how. (We will teach you if you don't know)
    10. If you need to fix something in the hump/bowl, please disable the HUMP Controller & Pinpuller.
    11. Request Dispatcher Permission BEFORE moving.
    12. Have Fun!

    As for defects they are handled realistically. For hotbox's and dragging equipment (HiWides dont work yet) th offending car(s) will need to be set out at the first opportunity and and be tagged with the defect on the destination tags.

    Broken Couplers work a little differently. To avoid disruption, broken couplers can be repaired at no cost for the first 20 minutes of the session. After that, couplers that are broken, stay broken and the offending units must be sent to service for repair. If a train brakes more than 5 couplers at once, and could potentially create a massive traffic delay, then all couplers may be repaired (The host can see how many Couplers a player has broken).

    Quote Originally Posted by flarrfan2 View Post
    Sorry you are not using TeamSpeak. I tried multiple times to figure out Discord and never succeeded. Sorry to miss your session.
    Highball saw my response to your post and they have offered to let us use their 50-slot Teamspeak. So that's good news for you.

    Their info is on the session page.
    Last edited by digitrax83; Today at 05:53 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •