Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools Still some Way Off

Default Tools Still some Way Off

For anyone still interested in this train wreck, picked up on this nugget at the fan club (UKTS):

http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtop...f=386&t=148007

This is looking more and more like alt-World Of Subways as time goes on.
    Vern.

Read that a day or two ago Vern. My interest went from 0 to -10, buddy.

36 mile route, no tools, no real innovation over TS20xx, except for passenger mode.

Still in beta, it is getting more like TANE every month.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    For anyone still interested in this train wreck,.......
    What an appropriate term!
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Don't worry, Trevor, the TSW fanboy, will undoubtedly be along soon with some soothing words to placate those of us who now feel ripped-off after spending good money on this pre-order to learn that there are still no tools and no editor after 3.5 years devlopment, can I get a refund on a pre-order one asks oneself?

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

This time I decided not to pre-order, partly for all the reasons previously stated and partly that I deal with Paddington to Reading on a daily basis at work (along with the rest of the Western) so a bit too close to home.

When they're selling it off for £5 at Christmas, I might take a look.

Regarding refunds, Ex, I presume the usual Steam arrangement applies - if you have played less than 2 hours (in the current situation 0 hours) you should be able to get your money back.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    .... can I get a refund on a pre-order one asks oneself?

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.
    I took mine out, put it on the railway line and let a train flatten it.
    Makes a good frisbee.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Vern --

But you gotta ask yourself "Are we who want to construct, change, fiddle, share, ... the minority?" I suspect we are and Dovetail have concluded, probably correctly, that it's the visuals that count and drive sales, both of the base product and the over priced DLC.

As for the comment above about TANE -- nope. It works for me, it's fun, it allows me to indulge my fantasies, ... . It actually provides me with great satisfaction to spend about a week of part time effort and come up with something like the video of the "Cilie Oldphartz Railroad" (go back a couple of screens in your web browser and go into the trainsim Trainz Forums).

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    "Are we who want to construct, change, fiddle, share, ... the minority?"
    Even if the editors were limited to activity and consist construction only this would surely boost sales for anyone on the fence (as well as those looking to expand their route portfolio with official content). Without even the basic means to tinker and share, this sim is dead or nearly there.
    3DTrains - Home of the Feather River and Sherman Hill routes for MSTS

Signature

Precisely, they should be looking at a scenario editor if nothing else. I compared with world Of subways, but at least that title gives you a timetable for the whole day to choose from and when you finish one run you can jump into the next departure and drive that. If TSW ships with even a dozen scenarios, it's not going to take very long to work through them. The recently released Diesel Railcar Simulator also offers a scrolling list of all trains in the timetable negating the immediate need for a scenario editor.

As regards routes, well way back when they announced TSW and the use of UE4 I had misgivings about what that mean for sandbox level route creation. Maybe a solution will emerge but I do see some merit in what Phil says. DTG already took the view that staff time documenting for public use procedures and changes to the TS20xx editors wasn't worth it, which is why we have pretty much been left to figure things out for ourselves.
    Vern.

TANE might be fun, but it is a pile of unrealistic doggie doo. AWS still does nothing apart from ring a bell or sound a warning. Still no correctly functioning vacuum brake system, either single or twin pipe. Most of the cab views are years old and unrealistic. The graphics engine which was supposed to be going to be all singing all dancing and fit for the 21st century. Is unfit for purpose and pales in comparison to the graphics even in TS20xx, which are built on a graphics engine at least 10 years old. It might be fun but it's nothing more than a toy train set, it is most definitely NOT a simulator.
    Yma O Hyd