Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Meanwhile in Minnesota...

Default Meanwhile in Minnesota...

Thought I'd start a new thread with some of the things I've seen in the last few months.

Last thursday, in poor light and even poorer weather, an SD60M equipped for remote-control service (switching with SD60Ms?), with two newer Ferromex units a long way from home trailing
    BNSF_1417.jpgFXE_4055.jpgFXE_4660.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, a pair of SD40-2s made a semi-rare appearance leading a train on Staples Sub. Note 1623, the second unit, which has green BNSF lettering on the hood
    BNSF_1787.jpg

A very unusual-looking GP38-2, with some modifications made last December or so to fit PTC equipment on the roof (or so I'm told), leading what may have been one of the last St. Cloud locals. That service was discontinued some time in July.
    BNSF_2352.jpg

If I am not mistaken, isn't that a GP35?
    Nice oddballs with that SD60M. In the H3 paint, it almost looks like a modded version of the unit.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

If I am not mistaken, isn't that a GP35?
    2352? That's one of the many ex-Frisco GP38-2s. According to RRPA, it was built in March '72 as SLSF 682

Tagging out...I apologize, I typed 2532 when looking up the engine. Obviously, a wrong number
    Neil

A few more...

An SD75M, freshly pulled out of storage, rebuilt, and unfortunately, repainted.
    BNSF_252.jpg
    I had two leading with an SD40-2 behind them a few weeks ago, and my camera malfunctioned and I didn't get any of it. Fortunately, there were a horde of photographers out whom I never saw that got it for me. is actually about a hundred yards over my left shoulder.

The only time I've ever seen a KCS unit lead a train here. I've sen a few before, but they've always been trailing
    KCS_4785.jpg

An interesting train, showing three older paint schemes
    BNSF_5711.jpg
    That third unit, 4703...is a warbonnet? I thought those were only in the 599-799 series
    BNSF_4703.jpg

The SD75's - they store and un-store these units so much, I can't even keep track anymore
    I think the rebuild/repaint is a bit of an ugly duckling.
    Neil

I love the look of the SD75M #252!

As for #4703, was built in 10/1997, two years after the merger. Received the Warbonnet scheme, with BNSF lettering.
    the #600 series were built in 1994 for Santa Fe with "Santa Fe" on the side, a year before the merger.
    http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System

"I love the look of the SD75M #252!"

Ahh Shawn, wipe your safety goggles off! LOL
    Neil

From CSRX -

As for #4703, was built in 10/1997, two years after the merger. Received the Warbonnet scheme, with BNSF lettering.
    the #600 series were built in 1994 for Santa Fe with "Santa Fe" on the side, a year before the merger.
    I kind of suspected that, but it's odd that they went back to the bonnet after doing the H1s. My guess is that they were still working on what would become H2, since probably less than 20 got the bonnet

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    "I love the look of the SD75M #252!"

Ahh Shawn, wipe your safety goggles off! LOL
    Haha, to be fair I always enjoyed the look of the simple "H1"? Scheme. The Nike style logo I could do without though, To me that looks better on the freight cars than it does the locomotives.

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    I kind of suspected that, but it's odd that they went back to the bonnet after doing the H1s. My guess is that they were still working on what would become H2, since probably less than 20 got the bonnet
    A shot in the dark, and don't quote me, but it could have been an order that ATSF had made, prior to the merger, that may have not been fulfilled until sometime after the merger..

Maybe a AT&SF history buff could be able to let us know. I only know most of Maine and parts of New Hampshire and Vermont.
    http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System