Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Meanwhile in Minnesota...

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    Haha, to be fair I always enjoyed the look of the simple "H1"? Scheme. The Nike style logo I could do without though, To me that looks better on the freight cars than it does the locomotives.
    Couldn't agree more. The swoosh looks great on their army of hoppers. But on engines, I think H1 was perfect on standard cab engines and even on the Dash 9s, despite the fact that it looks like it doesn't fit on the nose. H2 worked on widecab engines very well. I never got into H3 all that much, probably because all the interesting stuff is too old to be in those colors.

Maybe a AT&SF history buff could be able to let us know. I only know most of Maine and parts of New Hampshire and Vermont.
    Yeah, who do you Eastern types think you are, acting like you know everything!? (as I try not to burst out laughing while I type this)

A shot in the dark, and don't quote me, but it could have been an order that ATSF had made, prior to the merger, that may have not been fulfilled until sometime after the merger..
    It was a valiant effort, but I'd say unlikely. That order appears to have been placed after the corporate parents had merged and after the ICC gave their approval. Besides, paint isn't something that's unchangeable once the orders start rolling.

Alright, a few more photos:

One of a few cars on the Builder with "your link to (something)" written on the side. I've also seen "your link to the slopes"
    Builder_1.jpg

I've never noticed how much dust comes off loaded coal trains. Loaded ore trains can do the same thing, but usually only when a lot of pellets are dislodged from the cars, which can happen when they are filled to the brim and the slack runs in
    Coal_Dust.jpg

The one and only Republic Locomotive RD20. It was tried out by UP in the early '90s, but because it never worked well, they went with gensets instead. There are some better shots of it at http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/Loc....aspx?id=34103. It has sat at Independent Locomotive Service in Bethel, MN for the last few years. The picture was taken using a pair of binoculars as a sort of zoom feature, since my phone's zoom feature isn't all that.
    LETX_20.jpg

A trainload of windmill parts, in this case just hubs and generator housings
    Wind_1.jpgWind_2.jpg

The BNSF story goes that in the early years right after the merger BNSF was going to use both paint schemes at the same time. Then eventually the settled on using just the one ( orange and green) scheme. I am thinking that the cost had something to do with it.

Ron