Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Death Valley Railroad

Default Death Valley Railroad

I see Brian Smolke's Death Valley Railroad is available for download. Has anyone any recommendations for suitable stock?

Small stuff - 4-4-0, 2-6-0, maybe 2-8-0. The real thing didn't have much new equipment. See Railroads of Nevada & Eastern California (v.2 iirc). Later on, they got some small diesel/gas locomotives and even a gas-(mechanical iirc from the book) passenger car. If the route goes far enough, they did tourist trains for a short time using, essentially converted mining equipment.

You can probably buy a copy from Amazon (very used; bring lots of money), or check out the reference section of a large public or university library. Some local public libraries can get it on interlibrary loan from the larger repositories. I was able to get them through the Link+ system (mostly California libraries).

Try Baldwin 3-foot gauge 8-18C 4-4-0: Eureka & Palisade #4 and #5, also Nevada County Baldwin NG 2-6-0. Can be downloaded from Train Sim. Looks great on the Death Valley Railroad. tomsierrarr

Quote Originally Posted by tomsierrarr View Post
    Try Baldwin 3-foot gauge 8-18C 4-4-0: Eureka & Palisade #4 and #5, also Nevada County Baldwin NG 2-6-0. Can be downloaded from Train Sim. Looks great on the Death Valley Railroad. tomsierrarr
    Thanks Tom, I am downloading those three now. Have you any suggestions for freight wagons and passenger cars?
    Last edited by dforrestc; 08-21-2017 at 05:41 PM.

Lots of NG wagons and passenger cars on Train Sim just search using the words Narrow Gauge in search field. Examples: drgwgon2, ngboxpk, ngtankers, rgpipega, uintahc1, SV-Reefer_6, svry2014, and D&RG Western Passenger Car 320. Also check out Florence & Cripple Creek narrow gauge lots of stuff. Good Luck Tomsierrarr

The Death Valley Railroad operated a couple oil burning Baldwin 2-8-0s. The closest available locomotive I could find was Jon Davis' White Pass & Yukon #69, available in the file library. I couldn't find anything similar to the metal hopper cars the railroad used, so some gondolas would need to fill in. The railroad also had a caboose, a passenger coach, and a small assortment of second hand boxcars, flatcars, and tank cars. As previously mentioned, in later years the railroad used a gas powered Brill motor car.

Quote Originally Posted by CivilEng View Post
    The Death Valley Railroad operated a couple oil burning Baldwin 2-8-0s. The closest available locomotive I could find was Jon Davis' White Pass & Yukon #69, available in the file library. I couldn't find anything similar to the metal hopper cars the railroad used, so some gondolas would need to fill in. The railroad also had a caboose, a passenger coach, and a small assortment of second hand boxcars, flatcars, and tank cars. As previously mentioned, in later years the railroad used a gas powered Brill motor car.
    Thanks Brian. Any suggestions for reasonably typical freight wagons and passenger cars?

Quote Originally Posted by dforrestc View Post
    Thanks Brian. Any suggestions for reasonably typical freight wagons and passenger cars?
    Are there any suggestions for suitable stock? It would be good to run the route with something looking prototypical.

Far as I can tell, you will need a couple of 2-8-0 steam engines, some flats and gondolas. A Brill railcar was added in about 1928 to convey tourists.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

OK, this route really intrigues me. There are some nice NG steam engines over at Elvas Towers for American lines. I'm having a hard time finding NG diesels here. several of their diesels look like this. Is it suitable? I'll continue looking here, but the search phrase "narrow gauge" doesn't seem to do much.
    ng_diesel-express_goose_#3_-_1946.jpg