Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fictional Railroads 8

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Been testing some trains lately over my MEC Mountain Division, trying to get a some what accurate tonnage rating for the "modern day" operation. I think I got it a little close. GP38/40's will have a 700 tonnage rating per unit, from Bartlett to Crawfords. That is an average of 50 cars, with six units, so that's not bad at all for the operation over the heavy grade.

http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System

The second pic sure looks like the topping of Crawford Notch along Rts 302 near Hart's Location.

So looking forward to this route.
    Russ G

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." James Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by woodfyr View Post
    The second pic sure looks like the topping of Crawford Notch along Rts 302 near Hart's Location.

So looking forward to this route.
    The route is already in the library. It is Paul Charland's DAR V2 with modifications.

Last edited by pnrailway; 01-29-2018 at 07:58 PM.
    Paul

Nice collection of shots, Paul.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Very nice shots there Ross. I'm trying to pinpoint the route - South Oz thereabouts with some scenery tweaks or your own route creation?
    Cheers,
    Damo

I apologize the scene in this photo is rather bare, I haven't gotten to this section yet for scenery, just wanted to get a quick grab before I fall asleep. 2am shift is starting to get to me.

Anyways..
    The order of four SD70M-2's have made it to the WMRC, Passing through East St. Johnsbury, an SD70M-2, SD30ECO(2x), SD70M-2 lash up, pulls two offline SD70M-2's, 36 loads, and 14 empties over the Mountain Division. 401 and 403 will be "turned" in Portland so that they face west rather than east.

http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System

Default MDL&P across the Rocky Mountain Division - East

MDL&P across the Rocky Mountain Division - East
    Route - Milwaukee Road RMD East

The MDL&P power for the Great Falls Grain Pull poses next to the power of it’s parent company during the early Summer hours in Deer Lodge, Montana.

The Milwaukee, Deer Lodge & Pacific (MDL&P) was set up in 1970 as a subsidiary of the Milwaukee Road to operate the various branchlines and local customers of the Rocky Mountain Division (RMD). This was meant as a cost saving maneuver to keep the Milwaukee Road's all important transcontinental freight line open while the MDL&P provided more efficient service to the local customers on the RMD than the cash and power strapped Milwaukee Road ever could do during the 1970s-1980s.

The biggest source of income for the MDL&P was the multiple grain elevators on the Milwaukee’s former Great Falls branches north of Harlowton. During the peak of grain harvest season, the Great Falls Grain Pull would run three times a week with loads of Eastern Montana grain to Deer Lodge.

This set of slides documents the movement of the MDL&P’s Great Falls Grains Pull from Deer Lodge to Lombard, MT, circa 1976. At the time of these photos being recorded the Milwaukee Road had been de-electrified for two years now; although the artifacts of electrified railroading , such as the gantries, wires, and substation buildings, were still intact.

Having already cut it’s loaded hoppers here in the yard at Deer Lodge the previous night; the MDL&P power waits for a westbound Milwaukee Road manifest to pass before picking up empty hoppers to return east.

The MDL&P crew gets started on building their train on the eastern limit of the yard at Deer Lodge.

After leaving the yard limits of Deer Lodge, the MDL&P crew is free to open up their throttle at the aptly named town of Racetrack, MT; where the Northern Pacific and Milwaukee Road run directly parallel.

At Finlen, the MDL&P F7s and RS11s begin to climb into the grade at Sliver Bow Canyon. In Silver Bow Canyon, three railroads; Milwaukee Road, Northern Pacific, and the electrified BA&P cut through the canyon within sight of each other all the way to Butte.

The ex-Milwaukee Road rib side caboose on the end of the Grain Pull rolls through Sliver Bow, MT. The MDL&P crew soon get a call from the Butte Dispatcher informing them to take the siding at Newcomb for a high priority westbound which is about to tackle the eastern side of Pipestone Pass.

Thus we quickly cross over to the eastern side of Pipestone Pass just in time to catch the high priority westbound beginning its 2.0% climb at Vendome. MT. This heavy train will soon be in Notch 8, winding around a horseshoe curve, and climbing to the track in the foreground.

Just to give an idea of how the Milwaukee Road liked to run these high priority westbounds, long; in the background is the caboose of the same train that is leading up the hill in the foreground.

Please look out soon for Part 2, where we catch this westbound crossing the summit at Donald and then chase the MDL&P east back over the summit all the way to Lombard.