Page 168 of 171 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 1702

Thread: Various screenshots with no particular theme... Part 3

Another shot of the train I posted earlier.
    "Great expectations lead to greater disappointments." - Me

[QUOTE=wcl;1958243]
    Quote Originally Posted by anderson martins View Post

Where did this guy come from?

They say around, I left nowhere, just to make the forums and train groups work as they should.
    "dead" users .... always come up asking questions like yours.

show me what you simulate and don't ask "dumb" questions.
    Chimbica Dash8

CP Spence Yard switchers
    Open Rails 2019-10-22 08-46-45.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

After switching to Open Rails about five years ago I've been revisiting older routes I put the shelf for one reason or another. One is Cascades Crossing. The terrtex and trees are admittedly dated. But the eye is drawn to the train entering the superelevated curve. There is a sense of speed, of actual motion.

What may have been a plain vanilla screenshot in MSTS becomes a bit more lifelike in Open Rails. I don't think Cascades Crossing is going back on the shelf anytime soon.

Uncle E
    Whatever's cold in my fridge is the Official Beer of Open Rails.

5. Default

On that same note, converting the route to USTracks can also enhance the look of a route, as also seen with Cascade Crossing:

The downside, though, is that it requires some modification on the users part beyond the initial conversion (and the method of conversion that was used). You'll find that the terrain clips through the tracks at various points, leading one to go into TSRE and skim the entire route for these blemishes. Also, if you're using a method that bypasses having to convert every piece of dynamic tracks to static objects, you'll need to set up a track profile for the route that accounts for these changes and allows for super-elevation. Even then, especially for older routes like this, it can create a jarring contrast between highly-detailed looking tracks and dated textures and scenery items.

Personally, I can tolerate such a contrast, and I've slowly been going through the routes I have downloaded over time and applying this change to those that I feel could benefit the most from this fairly light overhaul.

What better way to end a Veteran's Day than to run a Troop Train on the Monon.

​Enjoy.....
    - Mark -

Quote Originally Posted by ThatSolitaryGuy View Post
    On that same note, converting the route to USTracks can also enhance the look of a route, as also seen with Cascade Crossing:

The downside, though, is that it requires some modification on the users part beyond the initial conversion (and the method of conversion that was used). You'll find that the terrain clips through the tracks at various points, leading one to go into TSRE and skim the entire route for these blemishes. Also, if you're using a method that bypasses having to convert every piece of dynamic tracks to static objects, you'll need to set up a track profile for the route that accounts for these changes and allows for super-elevation. Even then, especially for older routes like this, it can create a jarring contrast between highly-detailed looking tracks and dated textures and scenery items.

Personally, I can tolerate such a contrast, and I've slowly been going through the routes I have downloaded over time and applying this change to those that I feel could benefit the most from this fairly light overhaul.
    Hi Folks,

Nice...

In that vein - since you’re in TSRE already - you should find a seamless texture that approximates the look of your ballast - and use TSRE’s “Auto Paint” texture feature to paint that naked ROW - you can paint miles in a single mouse click... it’s so easy - I typically layer two or three different textures on top of each other - varying widths - to paint mine - makes a vast improvement - and bumps it up a to a whole new level...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some of us are there. I actually preferred more of the original look with fewer Sinclair 'flashbulb' trees, yanno, its the pacific northwest, people, it is supposed to look dark, drab and rainy.....

Now all we need are some track fixes (missing industry) and a new updated equipment pack.

Cascade really pretty much needs a total makeover. New or replacement trackside details (switchstands, signals, etc.), newer buildings, elimination of "buildings in a cow pasture" landscape detail, .etc., etc. The same is true of many of the early routes--Shuswap, Kicking Horse, MSTS default routes, etc. Sadly, I doubt that those upgrades will come to pass as long as the semi-living corpse of MSTS is still hanging around. What would finish off MSTS would be a truly integrated and workable Route Editor and Activity Editor for OpenRails. Goku's existing TSRE and AE, especially the latter, are still just a little too "clunky" to move OR to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Folks,

Nice...

In that vein - since you’re in TSRE already - you should find a seamless texture that approximates the look of your ballast - and use TSRE’s “Auto Paint” texture feature to paint that naked ROW - you can paint miles in a single mouse click... it’s so easy - I typically layer two or three different textures on top of each other - varying widths - to paint mine - makes a vast improvement - and bumps it up a to a whole new level...

Regards,
    Scott
    I agree Scott. It is one of the best features in TSRE. Makes a lot of the older routes I still love to run really "Pop !"

I use it also on roads to create "Soft Shoulders". Been doing that on the Blue Comet redo that I will release next years. It really brings those old roads through the Pine Barrens come to life.
    - Mark -