Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38

Thread: Various screenshots with no particular theme... Part 3

Re-learning how to weather. First layer of dirt. Beginning to look like a typical Soo Line locomotive (i.e. like garbage).

Trying hard not to overdo it... 375 was fairly clean in 1980.

The last Soo Line locomotive I did was in 2009 or 2010 and I remember the process of getting the white paint and the weathering to look half decent was a nightmare. It's been much easier this time around. The more coherent layer structure probably helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I do must say, that loco sure brings back some memories. Nice to see when you have a WC boxcar hooked up to it, knowing that's who took over the SOO and Lake States back in the day. Great work as always!!

Funny enough, the WC boxcar came with the last Soo locomotive I did. Speaking of which:

To me, there's just no comparison. The GP7 just looks so much more consistent in terms of detail level, mesh resolution, and texture resolution. I think the textures also just look better. 4449 was definitely a CRT-era texture job. It doesn't hod up on an LCD screen at all.

I don't think "took over the Soo" is necessarily the right phrase; the Soo Line as railfans know it has always been under CP control (and the pre-1961 MStP&SSM had been under CP control since the 19th century). WC did buy some lines that CP abandoned in the late 80s. They also bought up the FRVR, which is another railroad I remember from my early days in east-central Wisconsin, with a roster consisting mostly of heavily-worn CNW chop-geeps.

EDIT: wow, there really is a big difference in height between a GP7 and a GP38s stepwells. That explains why that first step onto MNTX 559 was such a pain.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Erick_Cantu; Yesterday at 11:47 AM.

NWL in Greenfield. Testing Ossie's new .dds hoppers CP rail in foreground. CN in background. All CTC.
    nwl1 by CN Edmonton, on Flickr

Another one east of Spruce Grove
    nwl0 by CN Edmonton, on Flickr
    Rory

I'm not so sure about those hoppers but everything else in those shots look superb Rory!
    Cheers!
    Pete