Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Tile Corner

Default Multi-Tile Corner

I need some advice from route builders - my prototype track roadbed goes right through the point where 4 tiles meet.
    BlueJunction.jpg
    I know laying track on that line is asking for route corruption. My question is: how far do I need to shift the track to be safe? I'd prefer to make the curve tighter and shift the track to the left.
    Thanks in advance
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Hi,

If it was me, I'd make the radius a bit broader. MSTS does not like a piece of track crossing 3 tiles.

By going broader, you stand a better chance to put a set of blue poles and track vector ends in the tile to the right, than you would trying to enter the tile on the left.

Both blue poles need to be in the right (or left) tile, and from my experiences, the pole closest to the 4 corners should be two meters away from the 4 corners.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

Hi Chris,

As Doug suggests, never have a single track section bridge across 3 of more tiles.
    You will have MAJOR difficulties in the future and the problem is the trouble will appear at some other random location in the route.
    The problem will manifest itself with corruption in either the track or road database files.

Markers in MSTS are well known to be not accurate at all being off as much as 100 or more meters depending on geographic location so close marker to track location does not make sense at all.

I don't know if editing with TSRE5 will help or hinder but for now I think it's best to be safe re track/tile crossing.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

I would go broad with the curve. You do not need to be a lot further to the right of the
    intersection, but I would try to make my joint, on the right-hand tile, about 20m to the right
    of the intersection. I have seen, as little as 10m used, but I would make it 20. Truth is nobody
    but you will notice the difference anyway. My "GAP" route has at least 2 such locations, fixed as
    I indicate, and the RMD-WEST has one such location near Missoula.

landnrailroader

Thanks for all your input. Went wider as below. No problems with tdb, saving or running trains Thanks for the wise advice. Yellow and red represent individual track pieces.
    BlueJunction2.jpg
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    I would go broad with the curve. You do not need to be a lot further to the right of the
    intersection, but I would try to make my joint, on the right-hand tile, about 20m to the right
    of the intersection. I have seen, as little as 10m used, but I would make it 20. Truth is nobody
    but you will notice the difference anyway. My "GAP" route has at least 2 such locations, fixed as
    I indicate, and the RMD-WEST has one such location near Missoula.

landnrailroader
    To touch on this, sometimes, it is necessary to take some artistic license with the track layout of a route to save what little hair & sanity you may or may not have left. Track laying, especially when it concerns tile boundries and the track's interaction with other objects (signals, platform/siding markers, etc.) is probably the most touchy aspect of route building. I have seen first hand, from my own experience, and seeing it with others, months, even YEARS of hard work wiped out by an errant track piece joint a little too close to a tile boundry for MSTS's liking.
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there's footsteps on the moon..

--Josh--

Very rarely will you have to make large adjustments in alignment to get through a tile issue as is depicted above. All that's necessary is for the track piece entering the corner to end in the corner tile, and the next to begin in the corner tile. A direct overhead view (camera pointing down), and in wire frame mode will show you exactly where the track is in relation to the tile borders. I've used 1d curve pieces/whatever to make sure there is not a single track piece spanning the tile corner. From what I see in the first picture in this post, I'm confident I could have laid the curve through that tile junction using the map overlay (note there is a mismatch in the topo data) on the top tile and there would not have been a tile crossing issue.

As for errant track trashing a route: Tracks spanning tiles that result in unsuccessful tdb rebuilds can be found and fixed. No biggie.

Cool No biggie??

Quote Originally Posted by Coonskin View Post
    Very rarely will you have to make large adjustments in alignment to get through a tile issue as is depicted above. All that's necessary is for the track piece entering the corner to end in the corner tile, and the next to begin in the corner tile. A direct overhead view (camera pointing down), and in wire frame mode will show you exactly where the track is in relation to the tile borders. I've used 1d curve pieces/whatever to make sure there is not a single track piece spanning the tile corner. From what I see in the first picture in this post, I'm confident I could have laid the curve through that tile junction using the map overlay (note there is a mismatch in the topo data) on the top tile and there would not have been a tile crossing issue.

As for errant track trashing a route: Tracks spanning tiles that result in unsuccessful tdb rebuilds can be found and fixed. No biggie.
    Andre, I respect your comment, but there are three locations in the MCOA2 route that I am working on that I could not
    fix and get a successful rebuild. One made no sense at all as it was a 100M piece crossing a single tile boundary at
    almost 90 degrees. My solution was to just keep these "gaps" in until the very last thing before I add linked items,
    likely next spring, and then put in the problem pieces. The route will go out with a note to the effect that If anyone
    attempts a rebuild, I don't know them.

J. H. Sullivan
    (aka landnrailroader)

Hi Jerry:

My comment was primarily about spanning a tile without a track junction.

Like you, I have come across two situations (one on the StL&NA route, and one on the Ozark Northern route) where an unsuccessful rebuild was traced down to a particular piece of track that seemed to harmlessly cross a border tile. Also like you, simply removing that one piece resulted in a successful tdb rebuild. Thus, before I would rebuild, I would remove that one piece of track.

Still though, that IS a "fix", just not a permanent one.

Hope you and yours are faring well in both health and current natural malady in your part of the woods.

This is where I come to appreciate Scalerail...

Using some of the 0.5d and smaller curve sections, it's entirely possible to have the track follow the imagery and still span no more than two tiles per section.