Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Initial Impressions

Default Initial Impressions

Graphically quite pleasing, particularly in the twilight and rain. However the trains themselves are a bit too clean, needs weathering. My I7 and GTX950 struggling a bit on higher detail, lots of pausing and stuttering when the HST up to 125 MPH. Those little circles detailing upcoming signals are quite obtrusive, tried switching off in options but not changing. It should be possible to slide them down to the corner, not have them blocking the actual windscreen.

Sounds - not great. I tried the scenario where you catch a local service into Paddington then work the 1930 HST. There was no audible engine noise at all sitting inside the Class 166 DMU. On the HST I could only get one note to sound on the horn.

Scenario wise - if you're going to have the driver sat in the cab for 10 mins waiting to start, for God's sake have a timeskip or fast forward key. And it's highly unlikely a HST or any other service at Paddington would have a green signal 10 mins prior to departure, nor should a train on adjacent platform be started against a red signal before coming to a stand at it.
    Vern.

So basically it's a case of "same, same", Vern....albeit in a new location?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Thanks for that Vern, i am so pleased i wasn't tempted by the pre-release offer.

Back to JT WML, at least i can mod that back to the BR Blue era.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Vern, what about the physics; any improvement here? A poster on Steam mentioned that the "traction" for both GW Mainline and CSX were greatly improved, but he was the only person to mention anything remotely concerning physics.

Cheers,

Dave

I've only driven the HST which as noted elsewhere has the same wildly inaccurate ammeter readings as the CSX locos. It seemed about right, up to 125 MPH in Notch 5 then throttling back to Notch 4 was holding speed at around 119 - 120 MPH. The next test will be the Class 166 Turbo DMU to see if it has the same cruise control effect as applied to the DMU's in TS20xx.

The main problems as I see are the length of the route, I'm suspecting the scenario I played was designed to make it seem longer than it is, by having you travel "on the cushions" into Paddington then a 10 min fester before the actual 25 min drive. There didn't seem that many scenarios either and with no means to make your own, replay value will be very limited.

Incidentally for anyone not familiar with the GWML, the half finished electrification beyond West Drayton is probably an accurate snapshot of when they surveyed the route, though in reality it has now been finished to Maidenhead for several months and Reading should be going live very soon.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Those little circles detailing upcoming signals are quite obtrusive, tried switching off in options but not changing. It should be possible to slide them down to the corner, not have them blocking the actual windscreen.
    CTRL+1 Toggles the in-world objective marker
    CTRL+2 Toggles the in-world next speed limit marker
    CTRL+3 Toggles the in-world next signal marker
    CTRL+4 Cycles the next speed limit / signal information panel in top right
    CTRL+5 Toggles the speedometer panel (or clock/compass while walking)
    CTRL+6 Toggles the Score Display
    CTRL+7 Toggles the passenger stop marker on the track
    CTRL+8 Cycles the centre dot transparency (off, 50/50, white)

From the manual which is available at http://cdn.edgecast.steamstatic.com/...f?t=1505408710.

Paul

Someone on the other forum who is from Slough, related that the route is completely inaccurate in that area.

I haven't lived in Langley for a long long time, so i cannot comment.
    Yma O Hyd

I'll make a note of that, Paul. No command to speed up time, though!

I guess for now the best way to approach this as DTG's equivalent of World Of Subways, enjoy it for what it is and if you want a more expansive experience including editing the "big three" continue to be the goto sims.

Someone on the other forum who is from Slough, related that the route is completely inaccurate in that area.

I haven't lived in Langley for a long long time, so i cannot comment.
    In the twilight at 125 MPH I guess they hoped no-one would notice, Mike!
    Vern.

Well, I'm sorry, but, what a waste of ten quid, absolute bloody tosh. Boring, boring, bloody boring.......More bugs than the Australian Outback and dreadful texture glitches on every scenario that features an HST, which is just about ALL 420 of them, absolute crap. An HST that can get up 40 mph in notch 1 in 12 seconds, c'mon, you've got to be kidding me, no physics, no proper ear piercing hornsounds and after 10 minutes in both the 66 and the 166 the horn doesn't even work, passengers feet sunk underground, some pasengers even floating above the platforms, again, no tail lamps on any freight train whatsoever STILL, glorious sunshine in heavy rain showers, many scenarios pathed to crossing tracks faster than a ballroom dancer, the River Thames that looks like a swollen, muddy ditch, low res houses, nearly all the trees look the same with 25 foot trunk circumferences, and the fanboys think this is the best thing since sliced bread, blind as chuffin' worms, obviously.
    Let the XBox kiddywinkies play with this garbage, I'm on TS2017, more variety, more fun, proper sounds, more enjoyment, more realism, authentic 3rd party assets of all description to enhance the game, more variety, oh, I've already said that,.....it's just unbeatable against TSW, Paul Jackson and his merry men should be deeply embarrassed for releasing this utter tripe after 4 years work on the UE4 engine and this is the best they can come up with, after 4 years, of teasing, marketing and hyping this up out of all proportion, a total bunch of bloody amateurs, arcade gaming for kids with their controllers at its finest, nothing else.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 09-15-2017 at 11:29 AM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

More observations...

On resuming the scenario, many bugs evident...

Traction sound non-existent in the HST cab, despite being in Notch 4. It returned when I changed throttle position to 5 but disappeared completely at idle, cutting in and out intermittently.

Between Maidenhead and Twyford I got checked down by a double yellow signal but the next signal at single yellow was less than 600 yards. This would not have given sufficient time to stop if the third signal had been at red. I was getting random signal checks from Twyford all the way to Reading with no evidence a train actually ahead - DY - Y - back to G again.

None of the oncoming trains were displaying headlights.

After finishing the HST run I picked a Class 166 drive from the Services list. Once again this suffers from the waiting around situation, arriving at Twyford a good 5 minutes early on the listed time. The sounds on the Class 166 are awful. Agree you wouldn't get the full engine roar in the cab but, as noted previously, there's none in the passenger saloon either. These trains are fitted with Perkins underfloor diesel engines which have a lovely melodious roar, when heard inside the train.

Graphics don't look nearly as nice in stark daylight and the tearing of graphics up from the ground others have mentioned, very noticeable.

IMHO this needed a lot more beta and QA testing.
    Vern.