Thread: Resizing SketchUp textures

Default Resizing SketchUp textures

Hey you guys. I am not a SketchUp artist myself (for now at least), but I have been planning a route project where I discovered that an artist had made a building that I could use. So I asked for permission to use it in my route.

hus1.jpg

Now here is the thing. I downloaded SketchUp, which runs fine.
    I downloaded the Train Simulator extension file, which converts the S and SD files I need.
    The problem is the texture.
    I assumed that the solution was to export the texture as an .dae file, and then convert the texture .jpg files to BMP and THEN convert those to .ace files.

The problem is that after getting converted the texture is WAY too big.
    hus2.jpg

For the SketchUp experts here, how can I work around this problem?

Use a jpg foto to use as a SU material to 'paint' the model. The texture MUST be sized square power of 2. That's 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 ect.
    Use the same jpg that you use to paint the model to create the .ACE file needed by MSTS.
    I use the SU PushPins to align the photo texture to the model.

If you have a shortcut on your desktop for AceIt,exe you simply drag/drop the jpg you used in the SU materials folder to the AceIt shortcut. You'll get a message Ace file created in the folder where the source jpg is located.

For instance, if the jpg used to paint the model is in the SU Materials folder, then that's where the new ace file will be created. Temporarily move the ace to the desktop. I export my SU models to the desktop so it's easy to check them out before moving the sgape and ace file(s) to their respective MSTS folders.

Oh, as regards to SketchUp; Be sure to run through the tutorials! Very important.

regards,
    Last edited by Vince; 09-20-2017 at 10:59 PM. Reason: spelling, format, new info
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Added feedback : Having spent the last 3 months, solid..., in "converting" lots of... Sketchup models, such as from the 3D Warehouse, ( Sketchup ) models, which were never meant..., for MSTS , and are very far, from "compatible", the issue of 'recycling" the provided textures, is a Big issue, although, you do get better, and faster, doing so.

What I do, is to "fetch" the required textures, from the Material palette, of Sketchup.

I "save as" those textures, but using only the .BMP image file format .

With this "saved" image, I now do all the Editing, texture corrections / enhancements, and also have managed to reduce or just-about eliminate, many photographic image "distortions", using the Helicon Filter photo-editing tool.

With the image closer to "ideal", I can now.., make a dedicated... . ace texture, with this.

If the original image is not... in a "square" format, in the sizes as explained by Vince, what I do, is to "slap" ... the revised image, onto a ( usually solid black" layer image, of the required MSTS dimensions) .

If the original image was, say, 215 pixels wide by 187 pixels high, I would "paste it" as a layer, onto a solid black 256 X 256 image ( I prefer solid black, as the very same texture, can be used, for making alpha channels, as needed ).

With the "fused" images, if the image will require an alpha channel portion, to the final .ace file, I would save this image, as a .tga format ( only format suitable for the free Sketchup earlier versions ). Same for any alpha channel "images" ( used to make an alpha channel-only, starting file ).

I usually save in .bmp format. I also immediately compress this image, into an .ace file ( ahead of even re-texturing the model, once back in Sketchup ! ).

In Sketchup, I now "Create material"..., from the Materials palette, and apply it to the model.

Note that I strongly resist "stretching"..., a texture onto a model, as you will lose a lot...of ( photographic ) "resolution" ( by "stretching to non-quare... dimensions... ). I prefer to "edit" material, ( from the Sketchup Materials palette ), and "fine-tune the basic dimensions, of the image , itself.

Lately ( and out of laziness... ) for such as windows, I simply applied the texture to the "window ( poly outline ) in the model, made a 'group" of just that poly, and "scale" the poly, itself..., to required dimensions ( although if I had to re-texture the poly, itself, I' d be back to square one, as far as dimensions ).

The long and short of it, is that, Yes, you do need, one ( or a few... ) good photo-editor programs. Note that not all programs are "created equal" / some have "features", not available on others and vice-versa / I regularly need to use 2 or 3 of such "tools" to get the desired / final result ).

Learning the method to "Create Material"..., from the Sketchup Materials palette, is the key, to all I'm outlining.

Now, starting my 11th year.. with ( free ) Sketchup, and for me, overall, for Route Building..., this is what works best for me.

Jean Brisson (MSTS only ) Route Builder

I've been using Sketchup exclusively for at least 10 years. I never use any textures that come with Sketchup. I never use any models from the warehouse.

As Vince explained, MSTS requires texture files to be square and in a specific multiple.

There are two ways to making the textures "fit" on a face: You can do edit texture, grab one of the corners and stretch it. I never do this. Or you can specify a dimension when you first create the texture (you can edit that later on if you need to). I always do this. It keeps the size consistent everywhere you apply it and there is little chance you'll goof anything up doing it that way. In those rare cases where you need one texture to be sized two different ways, just import the original art file, give it a unique name and set its size values to what you need.

The "big deal" about Sketchup that's an important lesson is if you do not use components you are almost guaranteed to create a model with a huge number of polys. There is a good tutorial about this at Elvastower; If you are not a member over there then look for Youtube videos on using components. What components do is isolate the lines and points of whatever is in the component from everything that is on the outside. What SU does (w/o telling you) is intersect each crossing of lines (including T joints) to create ever more polys. It can be a real model killer. Here are two examples of my work:
    Clipboard0717.jpg
    Clipboard0042.jpg
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

Hi,

On the original post, what can happen is the original modeller resized the texture using the push pins. When bringing in a texture to Sketchup, the default values that appear are 1 foot, and not many spend the time adjusting the numbers.

grab0.jpg

To change these, drag the cursor over the numbers to highlight it blue, and type in what you need. The chain to the right indicates Sketchup will adjust the other figure to keep the proportion. Clicking on the chain can break the chain, and the other figure can be adjusted if necessary.

Only option here is to return to the Sketchup model, remove the textures from the faces, and start over.

For those with the "extra textures", well okay, but you really don't have to.

Ubiquitous 1920 - 1960 grade warning sign for USA.

grab1.jpggrab2.jpg

Notice there are only two textures.

grab3.jpg

This is the result of stretching the RR xing texture using the green pin only, and then moving the texture to center it on the back of the sign. Then I used the eyedropper in the material pane to sample the back, and then "paint" the ribs and pole.

Red Pin, is the "origin" of the texture. It scales and rotates about that pin.

Moving the Green pin will cause the texture to "scale" in both directions. The green pin is also used to rotate the texture. Only fail I've encountered is rotating a texture exactly 45 degrees. the exporter tiles the texture nearly an infinite number of times in 1'. So don't rotate exactly 45 degrees.

Blue pin can be tricky. moving it will scale in that direction, without moving it along the green pin. About 33% of the time, it skews the texture though. Best I can figure is that's a Sketchup problem related to which direction the camera is aimed. If it skews, and I undo the adjustment, then move the camera around a bit, 90% of the time I can then get the adjustment I want with the Blue pin.

Yellow pin. Skews the texture. 100% fail with the exporter. adjusting this pin is useless as far as MSTS ORTS TSRE5.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.