Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vermont Railway Northern Sub

Default Vermont Railway Northern Sub

I drove myself into a corner and ran myself dry with the MEC Mountain Division, So I decided, why not have a break and have some fun. I really love the new TSRE, it's so much easier to work with than the original RE. Here is a look at the Burlington Yard.
    My initial plan really was to build the portion I work on, Burlington-Middlebury, it's only 33 miles of track, so it's a good start base. If I feel like it, I may expand north (Island Line) or South, rest of the Northern Division, towards Rutland.

The yards are typically the hardest part of route building.

http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System

I can tell where that is even if you hadn't explained it!

Except, man, those rails are all so straight!

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    I can tell where that is even if you hadn't explained it!

Except, man, those rails are all so straight!
    I can only imitate so much of the real one, but the yard does actually look a bit more like my above photo after the recent "yard work" has been done, tamping, new rail in some spots, and fresh ballast on the ground versus cinders and broken ties.

The most time consuming part of this location is of course Burlington itself including the waterfront. Thankfully by rail you can only see a small portion of the rest of the towns, such as Vergennes, Middlebury, etc.

Ballast! Now there is a modern innovation!

"Spotting" Global Industries LLC.

You do this daily in real life, yet you want to do it in V-scale too?

Regardless, I'm glad to see this finally exist for ORTS. Well done my dude!
    Maxwell Brisben
    President of Northern Vermont Locomotive Works
    Photographer at Hollow View Photography
    Texture Artist at BLW Productions/Zosa Trains

There's a real joy and great sense of satisfaction in modeling something you do in real life. Not only that, it tends to be more accurate the more familiar with it you are. Keep up the good work Shawn and I am looking forward to some good results on this route when it's done.
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Seeing the Pacific Northwestern themed routes made me want to come out here and work. Now I live and work for the RR in the Pacific Northwest. Now I can see things in extra dimensions.

Uh, Vermont Railway, and the Northern Sub, are in the NorthEast region of the United States, specifically the state of Vermont, with a section in NorthWestern New York.

As for the route building, well you see, I blame Mr. Paul Charland for doing the CV Winooski Sub, and sending me the beta of it. That got me thinking of the Rutland based portion, and then I started work for Vermont Rail System itself, and that sealed the deal.

Personally I want to design a route that runs from Burlington, VT down to Rutland, VT and maybe extended down to Hoosic Jct, NY. Though already I have ran into a little flaw where as, in reality the line is straight from the yard to the yard limit board, however in the game, due to some misalignment strangly in the yard, I have to throw a curve here and there to keep it on the pattern, without it going off center too much a no longer being aligned to the correct terrain it is suppose to be. Looks messy but alas it seemed to have been a problem with MSTS for years, what really doesn't help and you don't have the very tiny curves to offset it, like you do the straight sections such as 03m.

Oh well.. Still working and learning, really enjoying this new TSRE over the old one though!

By the time you plot your markers in Google and have Route Riter convert them to show up in a route editor (MSTS), there is a noticeable skew. When I plotter the streets of Cornwall ON it was 5 degrees, when I plotted Cornwallis NS it was 11 degrees. Makes those 90 degree intersections a little hard to lay and I'm sure that's the problem with the curve in the track that shouldn't be there.

Paul :-)