Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Vermont Railway Northern Sub

Shawn,
    With over 1600 views and only 30 posts, it seems that I am not the only 'Lurker' hiding in the shadows and eagerly anticipateing the release of your next en-devour... as well as silently appreciating your experiences and knowledge.

Regards,

wd watterson

Well I haven't made much progress as of late. I have been transferred to the Rutland Terminal of the Vermont Rail System, so I am a bit busier than normal. Currently placed five days a week, four days on the Rutland Switcher, and one day on the Florence Switcher.

Haven't seen this many Limestone Slurry cars since I worked at the paper mill several years ago..
    http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System

Pleading complete ignorance, can you explain what Limestone Slurry is used for with regards to a paper mill?
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

One of limestone slurry uses is to whiten paper and another is in the manufacture of drywall . There are many other uses also not related to paper.

As mentioned, limestone slurry is used to whiten the paper during it's process. It's very messy at both the paper mill and the Omya facility, coats more than just paper, it's coats everything, even clothing, haha.

Limestone Powder, which also comes from the Omya plant, is used for items such as drywall, and even toothpaste. They also package them into bags on pallets, which then boxcars come in play. Slurry, is just adding water to the powder to make it liquid form for uses such as paper mills.

thanks guys!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

I removed all track in the Burlington Yard Limits location, and relaid it, so that it's not off balance of the path it was suppose to be on. Looks much much better now, and adding water to Lake Champlain. God mode isn't as fun as it is in SimCity.

You can click-drag while placing water and it will go pretty quickly. If you think Lake Champlain ids bad, try filling Lake Superior...

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    You can click-drag while placing water and it will go pretty quickly. If you think Lake Champlain ids bad, try filling Lake Superior...
    That did the trick! Thanks.

Local job out of Burlington, passes by the small siding in Shelburne, with the MOW only stub track, and the long siding in Charlotte.

Slowly laying track towards Middlebury, the half way point between Burlington and Rutland. Once there, I think I will start laying out some scenery, and buildings for customer tracks, such as BlueLinx, Shelburne Transload, Feed Commodities, and Phoenix Feeds..

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    Uh, Vermont Railway, and the Northern Sub, are in the NorthEast region of the United States, specifically the state of Vermont, with a section in NorthWestern New York.

As for the route building, well you see, I blame Mr. Paul Charland for doing the CV Winooski Sub, and sending me the beta of it. That got me thinking of the Rutland based portion, and then I started work for Vermont Rail System itself, and that sealed the deal.

Personally I want to design a route that runs from Burlington, VT down to Rutland, VT and maybe extended down to Hoosic Jct, NY. Though already I have ran into a little flaw where as, in reality the line is straight from the yard to the yard limit board, however in the game, due to some misalignment strangly in the yard, I have to throw a curve here and there to keep it on the pattern, without it going off center too much a no longer being aligned to the correct terrain it is suppose to be. Looks messy but alas it seemed to have been a problem with MSTS for years, what really doesn't help and you don't have the very tiny curves to offset it, like you do the straight sections such as 03m.

Oh well.. Still working and learning, really enjoying this new TSRE over the old one though!
    What type of curved sections would be ideal for these problems? I am researching a extension to Xtracks and taking notes of shapes needed.

Goku's procedural track will most likely replace the need for fixed shapes in the not too distant future.

Robert