Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Vermont Railway Northern Sub

Shawn,
    With over 1600 views and only 30 posts, it seems that I am not the only 'Lurker' hiding in the shadows and eagerly anticipateing the release of your next en-devour... as well as silently appreciating your experiences and knowledge.

Regards,

wd watterson

Well I haven't made much progress as of late. I have been transferred to the Rutland Terminal of the Vermont Rail System, so I am a bit busier than normal. Currently placed five days a week, four days on the Rutland Switcher, and one day on the Florence Switcher.

Haven't seen this many Limestone Slurry cars since I worked at the paper mill several years ago..
    http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System

Pleading complete ignorance, can you explain what Limestone Slurry is used for with regards to a paper mill?
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

One of limestone slurry uses is to whiten paper and another is in the manufacture of drywall . There are many other uses also not related to paper.

As mentioned, limestone slurry is used to whiten the paper during it's process. It's very messy at both the paper mill and the Omya facility, coats more than just paper, it's coats everything, even clothing, haha.

Limestone Powder, which also comes from the Omya plant, is used for items such as drywall, and even toothpaste. They also package them into bags on pallets, which then boxcars come in play. Slurry, is just adding water to the powder to make it liquid form for uses such as paper mills.
    http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System

thanks guys!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.