Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Vermont Railway Northern Sub

Modern may be a good era for this route, especially with the AllEarth RDCs being a thing now. It leaves you room to develop this route alongside what is actually happening.
    Maxwell Brisben
    President of Northern Vermont Locomotive Works
    Photographer at Hollow View Photography
    Texture Artist at BLW Productions/Zosa Trains

Quote Originally Posted by CSRX View Post
    Not sure about back dating this route. I like the modern era of very little customers and knowing if it will exist the next day.
    Then backdating to the late Rutland era would be perfect!

In fact, at one point the Rutland didn't exist another day!

Sorry... couldn't resist. Just that I like the Rutland and when I first started watching this thread, I thought: RUTLAND!!

Well, it's the granite quarries I'm particularly interested in the historical perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Coonskin View Post
    Then backdating to the late Rutland era would be perfect!

In fact, at one point the Rutland didn't exist another day!

Sorry... couldn't resist. Just that I like the Rutland and when I first started watching this thread, I thought: RUTLAND!!
    Except it wasn't the Rutland that operated on the M&B. It was the Montpelier & Wells River.
    Maxwell Brisben
    President of Northern Vermont Locomotive Works
    Photographer at Hollow View Photography
    Texture Artist at BLW Productions/Zosa Trains

To be honest I have far more knowledge of the line in it's current status. That is why I am focused on that versus backdating it to the 1960's.

Honestly for example, only reason I backdated the MEC Mountain Division route to the 1940-1950 era, is, the majority of equipment that was used, can be found in MSTS/ORTS, as where if I stuck to the 1970/1980 version, only the GP38's that I made would be available as no one seems to want to build and release a U18B. Don't give me the answer "Build an MEC route and it will come" because MEC wasn't the only owners of U18B's!

Anyways...

Granite Industries in Barre, which takes granite blocks, and converts them into the tombstones for the Arlington Cemetery, will average 10-15 cars every month. Usually it's all at once. Loads come in from Montpelier Jct, and usually a single locomotive can pull these to Barre. part can be unloaded that day, or all unloaded the next, and empties returned soon as finished.

Allen's Lumber, typically will get a boxcar every 2-3 months, depending on the demand. Load comes in from Montpelier Jct, engine runs out, grabs it, and runs it back to Barre, spotted on the track, and unloaded. Returned either that same day, or the next.

Trono Fuels, also in Barre, received a car or two a week. Loaded from Montpelier Jct, have to grab a spacer out of the Barre Transfer siding before grabbing the fuel cars. Brought to Barre, spotted, and typically is unloaded within 24 hours and returned to MJ the next day or so.

Scrap Granite out of Websterville. This was normally 14 cars every day, sometimes 5, sometimes 25. Depended how much volume was needed to go. At the time this was 5 days a week, Monday through Friday, with on duty time in either Barre, or MJ at 0600. grab the empty cars in MJ, head to Barre. Cut off cars to leave you will only 7 going up the hill. Head up the hill, and then you end up pushing 7 cars up through the switchback and spot them at the granite loading area of Websterville. return to down the hill for 7 more empties. Bring the up the hill, spot them on the passing siding. head up the the granite loading, grab the 7 loads, come down the hill, cut off, and swap to the empties and shove them up to the granite. Cut off, come down, push against the loads down the hill, pull them into the siding in Barre, and run back up the hill for the other 7. Come back down with those, double over and take all to MJ, or if time gets close to 1500, tie down in Barre and return the next day to take the 14 loads to MJ, and swap for 14 empties.

As of right now, not much is going on. Which is okay. the occasional running on the line is fine. Believe me.
    http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System

Few more details to work on for the Barre Engine Shed and Trono Fuel Depot.

Need to rework the layout of Montpelier Jct, hence why it's no longer shown, but I have pushed the track further towards Barre. About another 2 miles from the engine house, and another 4 miles before the big 6%-8% hill, and switchback!

Not that anyone seems to care..

Expanded the line further to the lower switchback. I need to go back and edit some of the grades though as I realized they are too much of a climb, rendering the top of the hill flat. Whoops. That is not like that in real life!.

Will show better once there are trees in play in the background, but one of the sections that actually hits a 8% grade, and you are limited to 5mph on this hill both, going up, and coming down.

I care. Whoop, whoop! I am very glad you are doing this unique piece of railroading.

Shawn,

I have been following what you are doing closely as well, just haven't said anything.
    Paul