Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Bristol: My New Adventure

Default The Bristol: My New Adventure

Howdy folks! Let me introduce you all to my new route building and modeling adventure: The Bristol Railroad.

This railroad was chartered by the town of Bristol, Vermont in 1890 in order to connect the town with the Rutland Railroad, 6 miles away in New Haven Junction. It was abandoned when the Great Depression hit in 1930.

But... What if it wasn't abandoned? What if it survived the depression? Flash-forward to 1973 and the Vermont Railway has taken the long suffering Bristol Railroad under its wing, bringing with it new power, track upgrades, and new business, provided by Jackman Fuels, Drake & Smith Furniture, Bristol Lumber, and local farms bringing in feed.

So, here we are on a chilly Autumn morning at the single stall Bristol engine house. S4 #6, an inheritance from the Vermont Railway, and a former B&M caboose sit on opposing ends of the engine house, awaiting orders. In the background, a remnant of the Rutland is still visible in the form of a 40' PS1 that is now used for storage.

Thanks to the money influx from the VTR, tie replacement and track maintenance is a regular task now, as we see some fresh ties awaiting installation.

As far as the route goes, this is the real thing. I used track charts, Google Maps, and my own personal knowledge of this area to construct the route. Its short enough that I did all of the trackwork, roads, and terrain last night. I'm now well on my way with scenery. The businesses I listed actually existed in the 1970s and some still do. A friend of mine that lives in New Haven actually has part of the Bristol's roadbed as his driveway.

So, climb on board and follow me through my chronicling of the protolanced Bristol Railroad.
    Maxwell Brisben
    President of Northern Vermont Locomotive Works
    Photographer at Hollow View Photography
    Texture Artist at BLW Productions/Zosa Trains

Max,

I can't wait to see how this little route turns out.
    Paul

Thanks Paul! I feel the same way.

Our journey begins in the (by Vermont standards) sizable town of Bristol, which has been a hub of industry in the general area for decades. Its not much, and the track layout hasn't changed since 1890, but its enough to warrant almost daily activity. The track directly to our left is the engine house lead. Front left is Jackman Fuels, which is a major distributor of heating oil. They get especially busy once it starts getting cold out.

The freight house can be seen in the center of the image. Bagged feed is offloaded here for local farms. Finished lumber gets shipped out, along with the rare extra carload of what-have-you. Historically, it was potatoes and mail. I know someone who grew up in Bristol, who used to go down to the yard and release the handbrakes on the loaded potato boxcar, sending it rolling down the hill into New Haven.

To the right is Drake & Smith Furniture. They ship out fine furniture products and coffins on a daily basis. They're the busiest customer on the line, generating 1-2 car loads daily.

Further right is the town of Bristol. Passenger service has entirely died off, but the occasional excursion can still be had.

Maxwell Brisben

A look around the yard as we assemble our train, starting at Jackman where we have a pair of empty tankers to lift.

Next its off to Drake & Smith. They have two loads for us today.

Tacking on an empty CV feed boxcar, we now run around our train to put the caboose on the end.

All dressed up, brakes checked, time to head down the hill! We should make it in time to meet the VTR southbound BDRD (Burlington - Rutland) in New Haven Junction.

Maxwell Brisben

Beautifully crafted, Max. And, fantastic pictures to back your story line.
    Great stuff!
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Max, really enjoying the development of this route. The screenshots look amazing!
    Many thanks,
    Damo

Thanks Damo and Neil!

This is as far as I've gotten with scenery; The town of Bristol and about a half mile outside. More to come later in the week! For now, here's our train making its way down the hill with one of the many farms in the background.

Maxwell Brisben

Max, can I make a small suggestion.

Tall switch stands for mainline switches only, and short switch stands for anything off a secondary track. For example, Burlington Yard, all switches on the main have tall switch stands, while the rest of our yard has stands that are basically on the ground. This alone I think will bump the realism even more.

Oh and try to make em Rutland style. Green circle with a white outer ring, and a red arrow.
    http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System

Amazing!

Looks realistic. I'm particularly interested in your approach to the trees. I've not seen any other route with as realistic an approach to an autumn look. Can you offer some insight into how you achieved that?

Kevin B

Shawn, I'll see what I have in terms of switch stands. No shortage of prototypes around here!

Kevin, it took a lot of experimentation to achieve the perfect late autumn look I wanted. I started with whatever is in the SLI Scenic Sub and edited them as I saw fit.
    Maxwell Brisben