Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Update for Cajon and SD45-2 release

Quote Originally Posted by WesternDivision View Post
    Having brought Pack 1 today I was a bit surprised by this need to now activate this locomotive pack and possibly all future rolling stock and probably route addon's.

There is no mention of this requirement on there website when purchasing the new packs.

I understand the need to Activate the main program, since there have been some individuals in the community who would like to ruin the RUN8 development team and there right to make a bit of money.

My concern is what will happen in a few years time when and if RUN8 V3 is released.

Will the add on Packs and there activation be compatible with RUN8 v3, especially if one decides to buy a new computer or the next version of windows.
    I believe those questions could be considered answered by V2. All V1 content was upgradable to V2 for free outside of the routes that were included in V2. As far as whether or not they will need to be verified, I hope everyone is saving their Transaction ID numbers for every purchase as well as their downloaded installation files. I have done so by saving a Word Doc. with a copy of every purchase email from Run 8. It has not been hard to do and I have them all. Would it be a huge pain in the arse to have to reinstall and enter all of those? YES. But it would be doable.

As far as new computers, Run 8 will send you new activation codes for new machines if you contact them. I don't know how they are going to handle that for multiple codes for purchased products. Hopefully they will consider that and maybe make some sort of porting program for such instances to ease the pain of moving to a new machine with multiple ID codes required. We'll hear what John G. has to say when the number of required codes continues to increase.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

I hated Steam not that long ago. But I'm finding that more and more content is being purchased downloaded by me on a regular basis.

I already know people "personally" who have had issues with Run8 and pass codes who have purchased even more than me. Yeah I get it, there are bad people out there, and they have a right to do whatever they want. It is their intellectual property, and their business as I've said all along.

However, that being said they aren't making it easier for their customers. I've been on the record of saying this 3rd update, may have been the best update since the addition of the hump yards. Unfortunately I haven't had the drive to test that theory just yet, though it's in the process.

The lack of updates to the general community (not just select forums). Very few website updates etc. The overall secrecy of Run8 in general. I mean really nothing out there can touch Run8 as much as they boast pretty graphics and the ability to do so. But we still don't know what is in the future, unless you are on certain forums or a member of the team.

I think when you add that all up, not only is this going to become an added hoop for customers, but a IT and admin headache for the developers themselves.

Anyways my 2 cents, on whatever that is worth in other though currencies

Thanks

Sean

I will always hate that drm infested hole called steam.

In my opinion run8 should set it's site up like most online stores I purchase from.
    Everybody has individual accounts and when you log in all your personal info is available to view. Passwords, purchase order numbers etc.

That way everything is in the one place.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_FX View Post
    ......In my opinion run8 should set it's site up like most online stores I purchase from.
    Everybody has individual accounts and when you log in all your personal info is available to view. Passwords, purchase order numbers etc.

And it is possible to add multiple items to ones "cart" before paying.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Yep.

As I'm new to run8 I am slowly building rolling stock and then it's hard to remember what I've purchased and what I need.
    Have to dig into my hd to double check

Not sure why I hated Steam so much. Wasn't a big fan of it at first, seems to work fine for me. What issues do you find, perhaps my memory needs refreshing on why I hated it at one time as well.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    And it is possible to add multiple items to ones "cart" before paying.
    Uh, how? I can't seem to figure out other than buying one R8 item at a time. Very annoying.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
    calrouteprojectmstsorts.weebly.com/
    californiapacificrailroadorts.weebly.com/
    Cheers, S. J. Hjellum

It's just the idea that you have to be connected and they are constantly trawling my computer Sean.

These companies are too invasive and they don't need all my systems information so I can play a game.
    I get that owners need to protect their work but companies like steam take it way too far.
    I don't know about nth America but here in Australia we can't use telephone lines any longer, all our numbers have been sold off to Nigerian scammers.
    All since internet sites began collecting personal info.

I don't trust them and uninstalled steam years ago. A by product of that was losing RW/DTG and that can only be a good thing.

When it starts interfering with my life they have crossed the line.

Quote Originally Posted by demando View Post
    Uh, how? I can't seem to figure out other than buying one R8 item at a time. Very annoying.
    You can't currently.

Seagoon and I were discussing about how nice it would be to have that option.

Originally Posted by Aussie_FX
    ......In my opinion run8 should set it's site up like most online stores I purchase from.
    Agreed Aussie_FX this would be the best way to go.

Besides RUN8V2 I have several other games from STEAM, and some WW2 strategy games from BATTLEFRONT installed on my computer.

The interesting thing about BATTLEFRONT is that they are a very small company having only 3-4 programmers, similar to Run8 team in terms of company size.

You set up an account on their website, purchase what you want from their range, and receive a download link and product key.

The great thing about their website is that if you lose the game or key, you just log in to your account and retrieve them,because the download links and keys never expire.

Their games do require activation which is allowed up to 3 times, and one activation is renewed each year.

So basically I have installed the games twice on two different computers over the last 4 years, and still have my 3 activation's per game.

They also have a forum and and participate occasionally in it, as well as giving some insight into what they are developing, something the RUN8 developers don't do.

This in my opinion is how the RUN8 developers should be setting their website up.

Originally Posted by Aussie_FX

It's just the idea that you have to be connected and they are constantly trawling my computer Sean.
    You don't have to be connected all the time.

STEAM has a offline option in its menu allowing you to play your single player games offline for up to several weeks.

It does require that you occasionally log back in and very rarely it will request you, to confirm your email address.

My dedicated games computer that has RUN8 installed on it as well as the WWII games mentioned and several games from STEAM, is for the majority of the time not connected to the internet.

I only connect it when buying games or DLC for those games.

STEAM also allows you to install your games on a second computer provided that both computers are not connected to the internet at the same time and both computers have the same IP address.

I did have STEAM installed on my old computer several years ago and found it unstable, constantly updating for hours on end and no way of playing games offline.

But with my new computer, I could not resist trying Euro and American Truck Simulator as well as some Formula one games, and must say I have had no drama what so ever with STEAM.

Cheers

James C
    Last edited by WesternDivision; 10-14-2017 at 04:59 AM.