Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Patch V3

Wow they update their site just to show dates. Kind of reminds me of a genie in a bottle, what are the next 2 wishes

Their about us 1st paragraph hasn't changed in 6 years that I'm aware of. Yet they seem to constantly change their beta teams, personnel, and titles. Lots of people being shown as route developers.

Here are some questions for that genie that is watching:

How is Alaska coming? What's next?

If they can edit a line to indulge us, I'd love to just see something EVERYONE can see who has invested into Run8 over the past 6 years. Time and money are those investments. Personally I got my money's worth a long time go, no complaints here. HOWEVER, as good as this year has been we seen rapid progress in the V1 years. Since V2 released with all the amazing new stuff I haven't seen much in updates of the core program. What I have seen is lots of new payware, be it routes, engines, and cars.

My last purchase was Waycross and it is an amazing route. But some issues are currently holding back the routes potential. The hump is capable of being filled to prototypical levels, but the amount of trimming required (which is not prototypical) to avoid broken couplers for me has made Waycross hump not capable of meeting my own personal expectations I had.

So I know this is a bug that is known and will be addressed. I also have heard rumors of LA coming. Heard a rumor a couple months ago about editors. Heard another one about the AI spawner.

There was a time where someone like Crossties or TSW provided a serious threat to be both the eye candy as well as everything Run8 was that makes it great. But those failed miserably. To me and this is just my 2 cents (and I got lots of change floating around) this feels like a franchise that has no competition.

So it's either concern over someone beating them to the next secret recipe of awesomeness, but I think it might be something else. Read that 1st paragraph in about us. To me they have lost any threat of competition so now they are just doing whatever they want to do. Perfectly fine because after all they work jobs, and it's their business.

But from an investment perspective, when you hold a stock or portfolio in something and you don't see growth. That is usually the time to sell. For me I see it as a whole other opportunity, and maybe it's time I go back to what I was going to do 6 years ago before Run8.

Until then I look forward to whatever it is they can produce. But my expectations are much lower now. It's been a great 6 years, and lots of fun! We'll have to see what 2018 has in store. But this market is ripe for a new simulator to step up.

Thanks

Sean

From "rumblings" I've heard from folks who are closer than I am, they're getting "close" with the LA route. I think Alaska is probably not going to happen in the foreseeable future. I think it was proposed by a potential 3rd party (just like the defunct Chicago route). Jason has already announced that Hyrail's next route will be the Thomasville Sub from N. Bolen to Thomasville GA.

Meanwhile, while perhaps not as much volume as past years, since the original release of V2, we've seen shadows as a major update, along with several bug fixes. I'm not too concerned that most of what they seem to be doing is new payware. We have to remember that it IS a business, and they need something to keep the cash flow moving. We must remember that Run8 caters to a very narrow audience than Train Sim, Trainz, etc. Those of us who want realism in their simulation are very much in the minority compared to those who just want to run the "pretty choo choo's".

My hope is that the Run8 folks do something that will make it more attractive for additional 3rd party development of content. I'm sure with a bit of thought they can come up with a way to preserve and enforce quality, and not give away their intellectual property.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by byelen View Post
    Jason has already announced that Hyrail's next route will be the Thomasville Sub from N. Bolen to Thomasville GA.
    Just wanted to clear up a little misinformation but the next HRS release will be the Fitzgerald Sub from Bolen to Manchester Ga, not the Thomasville Sub. There will be more info to come on that...

Exactly Bruce

I totally get that they need money. I've been on the record of saying the last update for me was one of the more important updates.

But here is something that I knew would happen. I still support Run8 regardless of this decision, but it's a bit sad that FANS just like FANS of a sports team that might be critical of a coach's or player's decision is met with such resistance or content to the overall franchise.

RTS is still a community, a dying one but still a community. If you look on run8's website today, we have a great new holiday update. I don't expect freebies but it's nice of them to do things like this from time to time, and I do appreciate it. What I don't appreciate (and I knew this would happen even when trying to be balanced in both my praise and concerns for Run8) is no longer recognised by Run8 as a community. Not a big deal like it used to be, because despite not having a 24/7 server we are a small community now. Once the patches are made I'll probably get the southeast going again. As more improvements come then I'll probably go even deeper back into Run8. But for now I'm simply waiting to see before investing further.

My YouTube channel last I checked had 350 subscribers which is nothing, but still is something. I got 2 new subscribers in the last 24 hours, and there are many active who LOVE to see more Run8 content. Some of these people don't yet own Run8, but are looking to purchase it down the road. Some don't have routes such as Florida, but again the more I highlight it, the more they may be inclined to give it a try.

My point is you answered it and that is RUMORS. All we seem to get unless you are part of the right forum and group are RUMORS. A site that was taken time to be nice enough to add a FREE update, yet take the time to remove a community who has expressed concerns of Run8's future? Yet no new information on the product and what is to come in the immediate future.

What I do for the community is currently FREE and has been. Just like what others continue to do to try and promote Run8 by providing services, software, support, and promote their products. In fact if I'm not mistaken this thread started with my praise for Patch V3.

If people are happy that's great I'm glad they are happy and Run8 is everything for them. But I've done much more support, and building up of sales for Run8, than anything I could say to possibly hurt their product. It's up to Run8 to develop a product that gets the popularity and lack of negative reviews. It's not up to FANS who may or may not like certain aspects.

Very simple, add the editors as an add on just like MSTS "UNSUPPORTED" or as Early Access and charge a small price (or whatever they think is fair) and myself and other WILL BUY IT. For me personally knowing another region is on the horizon and not just another expansion, I will likely BUY IT. There are others out there who are willing to spend money, and believe me money is tight right now for me. Nobody is suggesting they should just keep giving like they just did with the holiday bonus. But having a sense of Run8 community, and being part of the ENTIRE community WILL boost their sales.

But at the end of the day like I always have said. This is THEIR business not mine. If me being vocal or passionate about something I love hurt's their feelings, then they are only pushing me further away. I got my moneys worth a long time ago. It's not up to me to promote Run8, that is THEIR BUSINESS. But despite having my own feelings hurt in the past, removing RTS from a list really doesn't hurt me any longer. For now run8servers has not had their feelings hurt, and that is a good thing. YouTube has not had their feelings hurt, and 350 subscribers seem ok with my stance.

But as long as I'm in the rules, and have a voice, I'm still going to be both supportive and critical of the product I love. I've paid my price, and even if I didn't we are all entitled to our opinions.

Thanks

Sean

Obviously I'm a bit geographically challenged. I thought it was the Thomasville Sub north of Bolen, then the Fitzerald sub north from Thomasville. Regardless, I know it's going to be good!

Default Myth and Reality

Dear Sean Murrell,

Please don`t take this the wrong way,

I question your subtle polemic re: Post #34

In one breath you shower Run8 with praise and subtle admonition. Admirably you express thankfulness for Run8, on the other, you lament about their development cycle and release doctrine, Sean wrote; “RTS is still a community, a dying one but still a community . . . What I don't appreciate (and I knew this would happen even when trying to be balanced in both my praise and concerns for Run8) is no longer recognized by Run8 as a community.”

Clearly RTS is co-dependent upon Run8`s development cycle. Maybe this is the unhealthy source of your frustration even though you contribute a great deal to the Run8 community. RTS in reality is Sean Murrell. In the past you often expressed your particular incentive concerning MP which was about you first and community second. I get this, but such a public attitude never goes over well in any community even if it is FREE as you claim, Sean wrote; “What I do for the community is currently FREE and has been.”

Nothing in life is free. Free is a myth. Free has no conditions otherwise it is not free. Here I go philosophizing again.

I watched good people come and go indiscriminately in the so-called free RTS community in the past two years at the peak of Run8 upgrades. Maybe AI had something to do with it. That says something about the chief RTS developer as well. Nothing is free Sean; everything has a price and a failure point—even railroads.

Failure is reality. Free is a myth.

Ezra
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ezra; 12-07-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Money and time are both resources. Read the forum posts that supported me on my forums. These are people who got into Run8 apparently because of my dedication. Don't need to prove that to you. I suppose the other side is did something I say hurt Run8. That is theory, and unless I see the proof can not verify.

As far as my butt hurt feelings about being removed from a magical list, so be it. I'm having fun once again. Unlike the V1 days where advertising was critical, I'm doing just fine. YouTube subscribes continue to climb, and the videos though not a peak viewership still have a good following.

The forums is the community and anyone can talk about what they want. Unlike some places that forbid conversations, or critique of a program. People advertise their non-RTS servers all the time. They are free to critique Run8, myself, or anything because of one fact.
    I don't own the RTS Wikia, I'm just the founder. That sir is a community.

I think the issue you have is a personal one with me. As for your comments keep on philosophizing. It's very amusing

As for failures, I've admitted to my own. I wouldn't call our 24/7 a failure, I passed it on. Others who have also been very grateful to me moved on to their forums and I support their cause. RTS can go on regardless of the Run8 development cycle, absolutely. However without Run8 there would be no RTS (at least not in this form). Want to know my failures, here is the list and it DOES NOT include 24/7. RTS V1 software also was NOT a failure. It's a success that is inspiring another programmer with my blessings to take my concepts and apply them to Run8 V2. Again that is a success and something I contributed to the entire Run8 community free. Anyone could download it at any time, not catches for FREE.

But the failures, sorry need another paragraph. When I backed out of 24/7 to develop V2 any ideas I had and pushing towards it was a failure. Fortunately I didn't do much, so lost very little time. RTS Bakersfield Project was a failure. RTS Selkirk project was a failure. Development for Waycross I don't think counts as a failure. Since I've moved over to Sanford Sub it could one day be used. RTS Sanford Sub is in place because I learned from said failures. That is what all successful people do, because that is how you learn. The failures wasn't because of anyone in my community it was simply boredom. The former RTS servers live on with very little change on their own forums now for SE and SW. They are not a failure.

Just because I want more out of something doesn't mean it's going to happen. Just like if you wanted more out of RTS, it apparently didn't happen. Our community is doing just fine, both people who run sessions with me, and those who simply participate in the forums.
    Run8 is the best simulator on the planet and has kept me very busy for 6 years. Just because I don't like the direction of something, doesn't mean what I do is a failure. We've had about 1 year to see what V2 has to offer. It has changed 24/7 in many ways to the point I'm not interested in it. The pros outweigh the cons. I have stressed how I would like to see something smaller. I have also mentioned editors, and fixing the spawn system. Really that is all that concerns me, not much of a big deal. But it's the communication coming down the pipe that I don't see. Where are the Run8 developers on TrainSim? I've seen Mikey, Jason and Jim. They have always reached out. But they can't speak to any direction of the program itself. Again I've found happiness in Florida in the last 24 hours. Perhaps I'm just bored and burnt out too. Not a big deal.

I come here almost daily just like my forums and try to help others, that is a community. Just like I do the same in my emails, and my own forums. Now if the server and any rules is not to your liking, yes I have the ultimate decision to decide the direction. Just like Run8 had the ultimate decision to decide their direction.

Is any of that getting through to you? Like I said seems to me your disgruntled because RTS didn't fit what you expected. Your welcome to post to our forums any time and debate your theories and ideas. Nobody is pulling the plug on you. But when I'm running a server, that I own. Yes I have the ultimate decision. Run8 can also decide who they want to sell something to, they've done it in the past. That is a privilege of owning something.

Thanks

Sean
    Last edited by SurvivorSean; 12-08-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: failures

Wow,

Sean wrote: "Is any of that getting through to you?"

Did you even read my short simple post (#36)? before you went on another long winded pedantic argument which lacks coherence. Obviously you took it the wrong way as I prefaced in the column. There is your proof.

My point is easy, you slam and praise Run8 in the same breath and it`s getting ridiculous. Then you call it personal?

Is any of that getting through to you?

Jeesh. Unbelievable.
    Last edited by Ezra; 12-08-2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Coherance

In other words it's not getting through to you, so that is the definition of "failure, and a waste of time". Hopefully I learned that lesson too.

Here is a shorter post to try and get to the point with substance. No Ezra I answered your question of how I could be praising yet critical (there is a difference). My point is I'm not worried about what you or anyone else thinks. Yet I care enough to try yet again, which is stupid on my part as it's a waste of time. I was simply offering my own analysis. It's called a discussion. I simply countered your arguments since you wanted to go there. What might be ridiculous to you, is not to me. Since I didn't try and explain my actions, I am clearly wasting my time trying. I guess that is my proof as you say, mine is already on the record.

So I answered your concerns, and countered with some of mine? Are you the only one that can "question your subtle polemic"?

I did take the time to answer you post. Since you didn't respond to my questions or concerns, not sure if you did mine. You already made your point. Not one counter argument from you so we can have a discussion. Nobody here is going to care about this personal issue between you and I. I don't need to justify my feelings or passions, yet I tried and obviously I'm wasting my time.

This thread has been a good discussion with lots of interaction. Nothing personal Ezra as you suggested.

Have a nice day.

Sean
    Last edited by SurvivorSean; 12-09-2017 at 12:33 AM.

Default End of the Line

Fair enough Sean. I think we have said enough. Keep rolling on.

No hard feelings.

Ezra
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ezra; 12-11-2017 at 12:53 AM.