Thread: Patch V3

Default Patch V3

WOW, Just WOW is the only way I can describe the new V3 Patch.

I have not had much time to fully check it out, and test it but the new filters in the AI traffic generation menu are huge improvement added to this sim.

The ability to select individual Train Symbols that can be added to your train now gives greater control over how we can set up trains and how they appear.

This is a big deal especially for manifest freights, which used to spawn in some very unrealistic combinations at times.

Selection of train symbols coupled with the selection of wagons in the Industry Configuration filter introduced in the V2 Patch back in June now gives us the tools to make more region specific trains, something I talked about in one of my other posts.

I got a feeling that it's going to be a very long weekend coming up, testing and building trains.

The other new feature of the Train Roll Volume slider for in cab is great too.

The sound to me gives the impression of weight, that heavy metal on metal sound, and I'm glad they did not add any extra clikey, clak track sounds to it because I have a few in cab videos of Dash 9 C44W real trains, and it's a sound that you don't hear much at all.

I will end this post by saying a big thank you to the RUN8 Team for listening to the community and taking on the features that people have requested.

You guys keep pushing the realism bar on this train sim further up all the time.

Cheers

James C

Agreed, I've commented on my video last night that this is potentially the best update since the hump came out to V1.

Now there may be a catch on this one however. I'm still playing around setting up the logistics. I have made fake industries to represent locations out of world now. This allows even more freedom to have trains that not only have bridge traffic but serve industries as well.

The catch is going to be the random number generator issue. I've never seen it mentioned as an issue fixed, or even understood but it's painfully obvious from a programmer like myself who had the same issue with RTS.

This is also why the random AI train generator (at whatever time) sucks! Once you actually put this many potential industries into the system (and I'm likely going to have a pool of say 2500 daily calls for cars) the random number generator will be challenged. Now 2500 is not going to be my total for each train. It will move stuff in regions and perhaps only have certain trains on it etc. to try and keep the craziness down. But it's very likely I could have 1000 cars to choose from. This gives each car a 1 in 10 chance of spawning.

The reason why the random number is flawed is because it's based on the CPU clock. If you call random numbers in sequence and computers are so fast now it creates patterns. The good news is if you spawn these in yourself you executing it will at least avoid the CPU clock from doing it. The bad news is once that train goes into a spawn routine, Those 100 cars will likely be in a sequence of random calls. Chances are it will form a pattern, and the true randomness of a 10% chance of calling each car will dwindle. Those with higher call numbers in patterns will likely get even more numbers of calls. Where as smaller industries may be ignored.

Anyways I have to test this out, will report more in about a weeks time. I'm hoping it's not too drastic.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by WesternDivision View Post
    The other new feature of the Train Roll Volume slider for in cab is great too....
    Yeah, that's a nice addition...BUT.......
    They have yet to address the "head out" sound level being exactly the same as the "head in" level.
    The slider for cab volume changes the external volume as well.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

the sounds of an open window (outside engine sounds) are what some of us would like to hear while inside the cab. i have been suggesting this for months........

Where is the new patch?

For the life of me I can't see it.
    All I see on the updates page is an update to Cajon that is dated 10/3/2017
    Is that 10th of March or in American lingo the 3rd of October 2017?

I'm confused!

EDIT: Hang on, I think I see it. Is it the 105MB one?
    And do I need Cajon?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_FX View Post
    Where is the new patch?

For the life of me I can't see it.
    All I see on the updates page is an update to Cajon that is dated 10/3/2017
    Is that 10th of March or in American lingo the 3rd of October 2017?

I'm confused!

EDIT: Hang on, I think I see it. Is it the 105MB one?
    And do I need Cajon?

Thanks.
    Everyone needs the 3rd sim upgrade dated for October 2nd but only those who have the Cajon route will need the Cajon upgrade.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

.....I'm confused!
    That's because Run8's "shop" and update menu is one of the most non-intuitive sites I've ever come across.

You only need the Cajon update if you have that route.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by dab1068 View Post
    Everyone needs the 3rd sim upgrade dated for October 2nd but only those who have the Cajon route will need the Cajon upgrade.
    Thankyou.

I keep forgetting to use the US date format.
    It seems my senility knows no bounds!

I keep forgetting to use the US date format.
    Easy to do when they are about the only nation which uses the m/d/y format when most of the world uses d/m/y. (They are so backward in many respects. )

Well there you go, I thought we and the poms might have been the backwards ones.

Oops better chuck in kiwis too. Haha.