Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Inviso-Car/Loco Ghost Consist

Default Inviso-Car/Loco Ghost Consist

Hello, I did a search on here first to try and find out about the "Inviso-Car/Loco" and the relationship of the "Ghost Consist" used in some older Activities.

I see they seem to have "disappeared" over time, but why were they used inn only some activities?

I recently ran into (literally) a Ghost Consist that would not move in the Q114 Southbound Part 1 for Bala 2.0. It was listed in ConBuilder as a "Ghost.con" and when approached it would not disappear nor would it move. I ended up removing all traces of the consist and then the activity worked properly.

What was the purpose of using these? I did a search in my routes and consists and found a few of them. I am running Open Rails, does OR treat these consists differently than MSTS did?

Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    Hello, I did a search on here first to try and find out about the "Inviso-Car/Loco" and the relationship of the "Ghost Consist" used in some older Activities.

I see they seem to have "disappeared" over time, but why were they used inn only some activities?

I recently ran into (literally) a Ghost Consist that would not move in the Q114 Southbound Part 1 for Bala 2.0. It was listed in ConBuilder as a "Ghost.con" and when approached it would not disappear nor would it move. I ended up removing all traces of the consist and then the activity worked properly.

What was the purpose of using these? I did a search in my routes and consists and found a few of them. I am running Open Rails, does OR treat these consists differently than MSTS did?

Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiosity.
    The Invisocar is used to make AIs blow their horns.

The Ghost Consist forces a signal to hold at Danger until it passes, however, you can't see it, giving the impression that there is a delay.

Thank goodness we don't need them anymore to make AI blow their horns.
    Excerpt from manual:
    10.16.2 AI Train Horn Blow
    This feature requires selection of the Extended AI train shunting option.
    Horn blow by AI trains is achieved by inserting into the AI train path a waiting point with a waiting time
    value between 60011 (1 second horn blow) and 60020 (10 seconds horn blow).
    The AI train will not stop at these waiting points, but will continue at its regular speed.
    If a “normal” waiting point follows a horn blow waiting point, the horn blow must be terminated before the
    normal waiting point is reached ( just in case).
    On the other hand, a horn blow waiting point may be positioned just after a normal WP (thus achieving
    the effect that the train blows the horn when it restarts).
    10.16.3 AI Horn Blow at Level Crossings
    If the line:
    ORTSAIHornAtCrossings ( 1 )
    is inserted into the activity file following the line:
    NextActivityObjectUID ( 32768 )
    (note that the number in the brackets may be different), then AI trains will blow their horn at level crossings
    for a random time between 2 and 5 seconds.The level crossing must be defined as such in the MSTS
    route editor. Simple road crossings, not defined as level crossings, may also be present in the route. The AI
    train will not blow the horn at these crossings. Examining the route with TrackViewer allows identification
    of the true level crossings. If a horn blow is also desired for a simple road crossing, the feature AI Train Horn
    Blow described above must be used.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Ok, thanks guys! The one I encountered was way past the signified delay point, it had a reduced speed from 60mph to 15mph for a signal malfunction.

Now that I know what it is for and that I can do away with it, I have learned about some other new things.

Thanks again.

Invisocars are also used on the tail end of AI trains to simulate real world delay to CTC switches being thrown and signals being cleared. The downside is unnecessary switch frog battering sounds in OR related to them. OR has not been updated yet with accurate signal delay features to abolish their need in those situations. Its on the board to be done, but has been given low priority.

Do happen to have a bug report # for that Geepster? I looked but maybe I missed it. Just wanted to read more about it. Seems kinda necessary to the need for accurate signals, no? Thanks.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Hi, I have not had any instance like what Geepster describes. The AI's seem to go on their merry way when all is cleared for them to do so.

Even three way meets like the one in the Q114 Southbound activity presented no issues with trains clearing signals, including the AI that I was following. The signalling kept me a safe distance behind at a reduced overall speed, 30-35mph instead of the posted 50mph.
    That was after eliminating the Ghost.con as well as the Inviso-Car.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Thank goodness we don't need them anymore to make AI blow their horns.
    The AI horn function has been a great addition to ORTS and comes in very handy for train spotting near crossings but I find it a bit labour intensive for doing multi-train, multi-crossing activities. If there was a way to "hard wire" AI horns to blow at crossings at some point, that would be really excellent.
    Cheers!
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by ossie View Post
    The AI horn function has been a great addition to ORTS and comes in very handy for train spotting near crossings but I find it a bit labour intensive for doing multi-train, multi-crossing activities. If there was a way to "hard wire" AI horns to blow at crossings at some point, that would be really excellent.
    It'd also be nice if they just blew their horns whenever encountering another train, be it player or another AI.

Quote Originally Posted by markyisri View Post
    It'd also be nice if they just blew their horns whenever encountering another train, be it player or another AI.

But that rarely happens in the real world. It only happens in Run8 world. In the real world, crews just converse via the radio IF they have anything to say, many times they don't.