Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Inviso-Car/Loco Ghost Consist

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    Hello, I did a search on here first to try and find out about the "Inviso-Car/Loco" and the relationship of the "Ghost Consist" used in some older Activities.

I see they seem to have "disappeared" over time, but why were they used inn only some activities?

I recently ran into (literally) a Ghost Consist that would not move in the Q114 Southbound Part 1 for Bala 2.0. It was listed in ConBuilder as a "Ghost.con" and when approached it would not disappear nor would it move. I ended up removing all traces of the consist and then the activity worked properly.

What was the purpose of using these? I did a search in my routes and consists and found a few of them. I am running Open Rails, does OR treat these consists differently than MSTS did?

Thanks in advance for satisfying my curiosity.
    I'm a little late to the party, but I guess I'll take a shot at answering this question. It's been years since I've posted here on TrainSim. I believe the idea of the Inviso-Car actually started with an idea I had for the Facing Point Media Pacific Surfliner route back in the day. Up until that time, I had never seen, nor heard, of anyone attempting to do it. I wanted to fashion a way for actual voices and sounds to be triggered in the sim at a certain place or time (instead of text) during an activity and this was the only way that I could come up with. My idea ranged from placing an invisible car on the front or rear of a train, to setting invisible tracks below the terrain mesh that you could put a static invisible car on. These cars would have specific wavs that they would call in their sms files that would play (one shot) a specific distance from the player train. I called it Dynamic Audio. Unfortunately, I bowed out of the development of the Surfliner route not long after the trainsets were completed, but not before describing to Andrew Held how to accomplish this. He took the idea and ran with it, pretty much the same way I would have if I had done it myself. Other designers took note and you started seeing it pop up in both freeware and payware products after that, including the Inviso-Car coined later by someone else, I can't remember who.

Also, as Geepster said (btw, how are ya geepster?) we wanted to delay the signal change and turnout throw during an activity. The only way to do this? Add invisible cars to the back of a passing train with no shadow drop and no sound files associated with it. Once the last visible car was past you, you wouldn't be able to tell that there were still several 'cars' passing by you, delaying the signal change and throwing of the turnout. As in real life, there can be quite a bit of time between when the last car of the passing train passes and the signal for you clears up. The minimum amount I ever saw was about 30 seconds and that was probably pre-set by the dispatcher.
    Regards,
    Dan Zollner - 3DTrains

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/image.php?u=57004&type=sigpic&dateline=1198006966

Thank you for that explanation Dan. The way you have described this function now makes sense for the delay of switches etc.

Now with the way OR works, there is no need for these?

Thank you for that explanation Dan. The way you have described this function now makes sense for the delay of switches etc.

I have no idea! I have not done anything with MSTS or OR in the last decade. Sorry.
    Last edited by deejay1020; Today at 12:43 AM.
    Regards,
    Dan Zollner - 3DTrains

https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/image.php?u=57004&type=sigpic&dateline=1198006966

If you really want to see how poorly OR handles this... try running in Auto-Pilot. The player train starts moving before the AI train is completely through the switch.

Personally, I think that the Inviso-Cars are a much better option ( Thanks Dan ) than the coding that Gerry Steele posted earlier. That option would be better utilized if Goku included it with his Route Editor.

Just my opinion...

Peter
    Last edited by peterman; Yesterday at 11:39 PM. Reason: Grammar

Quote Originally Posted by peterman View Post
    If you really want to see how poorly OR handles this... try running in Auto-Pilot. The player train starts moving before the AI train is completely through the switch.
    Personally, I think that the Inviso-Cars are a much better option ( Thanks Dan ) than the coding that Gerry Steele posted earlier. That option would be better utilized if Goku included it with his Route Editor.
    Just my opinion...
    Peter
    Geeze, Peter (aka Peterman), you should edit your posts for more than grammar.

First, it's just Gerry (aka R. Steele, for my grandfather who took me for my first ride on a diesel in the city corp yard where we lived)
    and...
    Secondly, the "code" I posted was directly from the manual and it does precisely work as advertised, having nothing to do with delay of switches - it allows AI trains to blow their whistles. ( I think you are conflating some posts)

Using AutoPilot for an example is misleading. Autopilot was never intended as true autopilot...merely to speed up testing for activity creation. Nothing more. AFAIK, there is no true Autopilot function in OR. All sorts of goofy, non-prototypical stuff happens in Autopilot, but it surely speeds up activity testing.

In normal auto mode during an activity OR handles AI traffic far better than MSTS ever achieved - even factoring in all the ingenious hacks for MSTS (like inviso-cars).

Lastly, the manual section I quoted from, regarding (sec 10.16.2) AI Train Horn Blow will probably, at some point, be implemented in Goku's AE and maybe (sec 10.16.3 ) AI Horn Blow at Level Crossings should be Goku's RE.

Finally, maybe there is a logical case to make for OR using all the features offered by inviso-cars. Frankly, I don't know...I kind of see them as a curiosity of MSTS. I do keep them included in some activities.
    Last edited by R. Steele; Today at 03:13 AM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.