Thread: Where is the .sms file actually located?

Default Where is the .sms file actually located?

I hope this is the right sub-forum. I have Rudolf Richter's "Manual for .eng- and .wag-files of the MS Train Simulator 1.0" and I'm sure the answer is in there, but I'm really not ready to start modelling and my problem is not particularly serious.

I've recently been able to resolve a lot (over 100) of my "missing .sms" problems by downloading the proper sound packs, but I've still got half a dozen. I found instructions for editing the Sound() entry in the .eng and .wag files, but that's aroused my curiosity. Aliasing to a file in Common.sound or Common.snd makes sense to me because I'm familiar with that way of writing a path from Linux and DOS, but I'm puzzled by other usage. For example, if I change from using a sound which I don't have an .sms for (e.g. MC.SND files) to a default MSTS sound, I can use an entry like Sound( "GenFreightWag4.sms" ). So where is the actual .sms file located? The method worked at least for ending the error message from Route Riter, but I know the .sms file is not in the .wag file. Also, is there a list of the default MSTS sounds, or a folder that contains the .sms's?

In your root MSTS directory, there should be a "Sound" folder. I believe this is what you're looking for, yes?
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Those files found in the main MSTS SOUND folder seem to be an exception to the need for alias strings when defining a path to a file outside of that engine's sound folder

Ah, thanks. Now it makes sense. So if I want to use the sound from a particular wagon I'd still either have to copy it to the wagon I'm fixing (and create a SOUND folder there for it) or stick it in a Common.xxx file and alias to it. I wonder if putting it in the global SOUND folder would work. Have to experiment, but I suppose there are reasons it wouldn't work else smart people wouldn't have created Common.sound and Common.snd. Thanks so much for the help.

I suspect the reason people didn't put it in the main sound folder is to keep it from being cluttered, and to keep as much as they can in the TRAINSET folder, where you'd expect to find it

Quote Originally Posted by Procopius View Post
    ...I wonder if putting it in the global SOUND folder would work...
    Don't hold me to this...since I'm not a veteran user of MSTS ( those folks spent years digging into MSTS to figure how it works), but I think the global SOUND folder is coded into MSTS for certain aspects of the game. Putting a specific wagon or engine sound file in that folder will not alleviate the need to write a path to it.
    In windows you can alias to any folder you wish, but the assumption that the Common.Cab and Common.Snd folders were created to service the trainset and keep the global SOUND folder from being cluttered is probably a sound one. (is that a pun? - not a very good one)

If you understand how to create junction points, one Common.Sound or Common.Cab folder can be used for many mini-routes or OR profiles.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Hi Gerry,
    Putting a specific wagon or engine sound file in that folder will not alleviate the need to write a path to it.
    I'm sorry, but I must disagree with you here!

If the .sms file in the Sound line of a .wag or .eng file is not aliased (ie it's a plain file name only), the first place MSTS looks for it is in the vehicle's own SOUND folder; if it's not found there, it looks in the "Global" SOUND folder.

Note to Procopius : It's no good just putting a .sms file in the "Global" SOUND folder; it may also require its associated .wav files. The .sms file needs examining to check if the .wav files are aliased anywhere. If they're not, then they may be put in the same folder as the .sms file.

I hope this helps

Cheers,
    Ged

I'm glad you didn't hold me to it! So that was coded in MSTS...did Kuju intend all sounds to be in global SOUND or in the specific rolling stock folder?
    When I first joined TS I went through all the "ancient" threads about MSTS, trying to get a sense of the history and found one that talked about the innovation of the Common.Snd and Common.Cab folders. I can't find it now...was that apocryphal or was that an early hack by users?
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Hi Gerry,
    I don't know what Kuju's intentions were, but checking some of the 2002 downloads from this site showed that aliasing was being used in .cvf, .sms and .eng files. I haven't been able to find anything relevant in MSTS documents, so it must have been found to be possible by some early 'simmers. In those days, hard drive space was at a premium, so any way to reduce the amount used was to be very welcome!

Cheers,
    Ged