Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wellcar pack 2 - no empty containers?

Default Wellcar pack 2 - no empty containers?

I noticed you can't put empty containers on the wellcar pack 2 railcars. You can do it with the default intermodal cars, why not the new ones? Anyway, who would I report this to?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWRailfan View Post
    I noticed you can't put empty containers on the wellcar pack 2 railcars. You can do it with the default intermodal cars, why not the new ones? Anyway, who would I report this to?
    Not sure what you mean by this. All TOFC (pigs) and well cars now will show no trailers/containers if the load is empty and will show them if there is any load at all. You can adjust this for the whole train by selecting the lead engine and then selecting the load variable selection in the menu or individually by selecting each car or using the train tagger. If you create a new train with the TMU, I believe all cars default to empty and then have to be loaded.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

I noticed you can't put empty containers on the wellcar pack 2 railcars. You can do it with the default intermodal cars, why not the new ones?...
    Do you mean well-cars which are empty, i.e., they do not contain containers, or do you mean well-cars which contain containers but the containers themselves are not empty?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

If you want empty containers in well cars then when you make your train just use the tagger and set the weight to 1 lb. this should make the containers show up.
    Work Safe play hard

Quote Originally Posted by dab1068 View Post
    Not sure what you mean by this. All TOFC (pigs) and well cars now will show no trailers/containers if the load is empty and will show them if there is any load at all. You can adjust this for the whole train by selecting the lead engine and then selecting the load variable selection in the menu or individually by selecting each car or using the train tagger. If you create a new train with the TMU, I believe all cars default to empty and then have to be loaded.
    The default intermodal cars have containers if the "loaded" option is not selected, they'll just be empty containers (or as westerngy says, a 1 lb load.) I was making a repo train and noticed the new ones didn't have that, they appeared as baretables. Like he said, I could manually add the 1 lb load, but i'd be nice if the game would do it for me

The default intermodal cars have containers if the "loaded" option is not selected, they'll just be empty containers (or as westerngy says, a 1 lb load.) I was making a repo train and noticed the new ones didn't have that, they appeared as baretables. Like he said, I could manually add the 1 lb load, but i'd be nice if the game would do it for me
    I guess I don't understand because I spawned this train with the TMU and using only the default (original) well cars, they spawn as empty well cars without containers on them. I was able to set the minimum weight for the entire train using built in tagger system in the lead loco menu and get them to show empty containers while still registering them as empty cars, thus adding no appreciable weight to the train.

Empty default well cars as spawned per the TMU:

All well cars spawned empty per the TMU:

Minimum weight setting using the tagger function of the loco menu:

Showing well cars with mimimum weight setting as empties:
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

The issue with the way it USED to be done, is you could never have a bare table from an unloaded train (which is in many markets prototypical and either creates IM with some empties or complete bare table trains as shown above).

If you take a look at a container it has a GROSS, and TARE weight on it. I forget what the average tare is but it's actually over the 1 ton suggested. I think it's about 2 if memory serves me correctly (but I could be wrong on that one). Empty containers to my knowledge are often not shipped by rail but truck (again could be wrong on that one too). This is because rail is usually used to expedite movement vs truck. An abundance of empties if not exporting international get sent to the nearest port. As for domestic they get shipped by truck to the nearest depot in need of them.

Thanks

Sean

Sean railways move empty containers all the time. 199 ,101 and 115 to Roberts bank usually have a ratio of 65% empties to loads.
    Work Safe play hard

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    ..... Empty containers to my knowledge are often not shipped by rail but truck (again could be wrong on that one too). ...
    Well, I don't know what they do in Canada, Sean, but Down Here both full & empty cargo containers are transported between major centres by rail.
    Road transport is also used to move containers but not in bulk; trans-continental and interstate movement in large quantities is done by rail and that includes laden and unladen containers.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Come to think of it that makes sense when you mention trans continental. In Canada you have LOTS of traffic heading east transcontinental. So those empty containers have to be brought back (when they aren't filled with grain). The trains Dale mentioned I believe are the WB Salty Shuttles. If I recall majority of those trains are also international containers with a few domestic. I'll have to keep that in mind down the road in my planning, as I never really considered that aspect of IM transport.

Thanks

Sean