Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wellcar pack 2 - no empty containers?

Whatever the case may be, I know at least one, the IDITA in California is an empty container train. There are many others that come out of LA (a lot of domestic containers, like the Wellcar pack 2 cars). Is there any way we could report this to the devs, perhaps they could take a look at it? Otherwise, what's the point of having the "baretable" train type if you could just leave the "loaded" option unchecked on IM's?

From an operations standpoint I like the fact that these containers do empty when an applicable load is not available. The container gets moved on truck to it's destination. However as pointed out These containers do come back and get shipped by rail based on supply & demand.

Personally if people are concerned about running an empty container train, they should be as equally concerned about running a proper loaded train. This means that not everything is loaded 100% (ESPECIALLY IM CONTAINERS). Loads shouldn't be 1 size fits all for every car in the train. Also this fascination with loads at the front and empties in the back for every generated train is not true. Many trains are blocked by location both loads and empties.

The only trains where the 1 size fits all should apply would be loaded coal, grain, and a few other specific commodities requiring a unit train. In general IM trains in California required helpers in the sim, which IRL are not part of the consist because they are often much lighter than full capacity. Box cars also fall into the same class. Tank cars are often full capacity, however unless specific to the special commodity are often not accurate for all loads.

Thanks

Sean

Perhaps a future upgrade could include an option for empty well cars, empty containers and loaded containers and the loaded containers could always set random weights. I don't imagine that would be too hard to code.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

That's a good point too. Where can I send these ideas? Seems like it would be a simple fix.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWRailfan View Post
    That's a good point too. Where can I send these ideas? Seems like it would be a simple fix.
    Although Run 8 staff often visit these forums and will likely see your ideas, you can always send them to [email protected]. That will get your input directly to them for consideration.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

Quote Originally Posted by dab1068 View Post
    Perhaps a future upgrade could include an option for empty well cars, empty containers and loaded containers and the loaded containers could always set random weights. I don't imagine that would be too hard to code.
    I agree (wish there was a like button on the forum)

We have that ability already in the game. Empty the load in a coal car and the coal disappears.
    Load a refrigerated van and the cooler starts up.

I guess it could be added to a long list of tweaks.
    I would prefer to hear real sd45 sounds instead of aliased sd40 first though.

Still say it's a little more complicated then that. Coal, reefers, etc. only have 2 states (the load state is anything over the minimum).

With an IM your dealing with not only the load and empty state, but also the removal. If anything on an IM I'd like to see the containers become separate entities. Similar to the loads that come in the gondolas. The loads are tied to the car.

So if scrap is a visible commodity, then so to can a container. Like a different commodity of scrap, or pipes, etc. the container can be any kind of container that fits the bare table.

To me at least it's better than before by allowing the removal of the container to take place. Before it did exactly what you wanted, in order to get a bare table you had to replace the entire car.

Unfortunately right now the load or the container is associated with the car.

Thanks

Sean

I would prefer to hear real sd45 sounds instead of aliased sd40 first though.[/QUOTE]

I agree.