Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CN/Conrail/NS Detroit to Toledo

Some screenshots from a scenery go-around at the Ecorse/Wyandotte border. Test train used is out-of-place for this route but could be a look at this route's distant future...

CP Mill

Crossing the Ecorse River

Wyandotte residential neighborhood-one street, Riverbank Street, once crossed all four tracks at grade, but that crossing was closed in the 1980's

Nice route that you are working on this and keep up good work till the release of your route when you are ready to release in the near future.

John

Looks great so far! I'd leave the bridge in -- it's such a recent occurence, and I'm sure most people wouldn't even be able to say which bridge it is in the route.

Here's a few updates regarding the route.

First, I have begun creating custom objects in Sketchup, starting with this building located in between the Conrail Detroit Line and CN Flat Rock Sub in Wyandotte:

Next, after about two weeks, River Rouge Yard is 100% completed track-wise.

And a couple other important notes:

I have started considering releasing an alpha of the route, since it had gone untouched for too long and I didn't want to waste it further just only having me have it. Should this alpha be a closed one (sent only to selected people) or should I let everyone have at it? I also want to allow others to freely add on to the route (including further tracks) and send their additions to me, as I have a busy life.

Also, once the route is completed and released, I'm thinking of expanding it into a larger mega-route as a collaboration with people willing to work on it. What I'm considering is to have as much of southern Michigan's railroad network as possible, including the entire lengths of all three of the Michigan Services routes (so as to finally allow a route perfect for running TT's Amtrak Midwest Chargers), along with the possibility of extending west to Chicago and east to maybe both Cleveland (to allow plenty of room to run the Lake Shore Limited and Capitol Limited) and to London, Ontario (to allow for a connection to the Niagara Corridor route).

If anyone wants, I may possibly extend it further east to Buffalo, New York and Oshawa, Ontario (that way I may include the entire GO Transit train system). If anyone also wants, I could try to merge it into the Chicago-Minnesota mega-route that's being worked on by others on this forum.

Oh, please do extend it to Buffalo, or better yet, Rochester. Relatively simple double track main with mostly trees, but I'm working on a P32AC-DM that currently has no home, and the Empire Corridor between Buffalo and Penn Station is primarily where it runs - so even a small segment would be a great place for it. Progress looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberry Yogurt View Post
    Oh, please do extend it to Buffalo, or better yet, Rochester. Relatively simple double track main with mostly trees, but I'm working on a P32AC-DM that currently has no home, and the Empire Corridor between Buffalo and Penn Station is primarily where it runs - so even a small segment would be a great place for it. Progress looks great!

Anything beyond Buffalo is best more suited for someone local to that area. XD

But I am at least anticipating for when you get around to do a P42DC!

However, there was at least one recent instance when a P32AC stayed on a Lake Shore Limited consist all the way to Chicago, so the full mega-route would possibly be perfect for simulating that.

Thanks for your helpful tips. Around 277 MB, so it is large, but here's the first public alpha release:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18J7...ew?usp=sharing

1. This is a public alpha. Tons of tweaks still need to be done, which is why I'm releasing it for testing...
    2. A small fraction of scenery is done, so there's empty fields where buildings and trees should be...
    3. Feel free to modify this route as you wish (details are in the readme file in the "Docs" folder in the route directory
    4. Credits are in the "Docs" folder

Advance thanks for your collaboration to help this route grow.

Downloaded your alpha, and will be testing a few paths tonight .

Since you've mentioned the Amtrak Michigan services a few times, I was wondering if you knew anything about the Michigan Coaches (4455X car numbers). They were old Metroliners that had their cabs plated over, and apparently were made because they needed some cheap coaches for the service.

Quote Originally Posted by bobwdude View Post
    Downloaded your alpha, and will be testing a few paths tonight .

Since you've mentioned the Amtrak Michigan services a few times, I was wondering if you knew anything about the Michigan Coaches (4455X car numbers). They were old Metroliners that had their cabs plated over, and apparently were made because they needed some cheap coaches for the service.
    Let me know how your testing went. Did you spot any unnoticed errors?

And those Michigan Coaches, well, let's just say that I haven't yet determined how to differentiate them from the normal Amfleets, but I believe the Michigan Coach conversions were of unpowered Metroliners.

And back throughout the 1990's, the Metroliner cab car conversions were also too common on the Michigan services (as well as other routes radiating out of Chicago, and the old San Diegan before it was replaced by the Surfliner). These cab cars were in fact common on the Lake Cities back when it ran on the Detroit Line to Toledo until 1995, so it wouldn't be too difficult to recreate that run, you just need to create a path that includes both the Detroit Amtrak platform (or the Michigan Central Station lead tracks) and the platform tracks at MLK Plaza in Toledo.

New alpha has dropped!
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cIe...ew?usp=sharing

Changes since 04/19/2019 release:
    • Completed residential scenery in Wyandotte and part of Riverview
    • Added industrial sidings in Riverview
    • Added activity that uses the Riverview industrial sidings, which will require the SLI/TS NS Horseshoe Curve Train Pack (now defunct)

As for those kinks, it was a combination of following the rail lines as they were laid out on Open Street Map (those lines aren't 100% perfect) and trial and error to get tracks connected.