Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update 24.10.17

Default Update 24.10.17

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Two very minor and unimportant changes to signals.
    No changes to physics.

Z-z-z-z-z-z-z-z..........
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

But and it's a big but, Bruce.

You get a new reskin of the Class 66 into EWS livery.

Now don't that just beat all buddy.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    No changes to physics.
    At this point, anyone who purchases DTG's TS products expecting a realistic physics model must enjoy giving money away. Authentic operation has never been a priority for DTG (nor will it ever be), and there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

The real issue is that there is absolutely nothing redeeming whatsoever about TS/TSW after the visuals are considered. I could tolerate the arcade train handling if I could at least create scenarios and add AI traffic on a long, single-track mainline without wanting to gouge my eyeballs out. Instead, I must invest a ridiculous amount of time tediously varying timing parameters and testing the scenario manually, in real time, before it can be enjoyed. I should be able to whip up a consist, place some AI trains, and begin running. Simple opposite-direction meets via passing sidings should not present any issue whatsoever.

At the end of the day, DTG caters to those that are easily impressed by eye candy alone and that have considerable discretionary income (considering what they're getting for their money). After all, once the cheesy supplied scenarios that come with a route have been completed, the route itself is rather worthless. Not to worry, though, DTG will have pumped out another completely expendable DLC package shortly after you've finished with their previous offering.

This isn't intended to insult anyone who has picked up TSW or the latest DLC for TS, but merely to point out that it isn't the physics that are the problem - it's the physics and everything else (well, except the visuals).
    Last edited by SlackAction; 10-24-2017 at 11:40 PM.

By contrast, the latest OpenBVE seems to have brought significant improvements to the programme. It has always had a powerful ability to match routes and rolling stock, but maybe it's just my old eyes but the graphics appear to have greatly improved. Many of the UK trains created a few years ago have excellent physics performance, such as the Class 37 "thrash" version or the Class 56 and many more. I was having a run on West Midlands Network last night and pleasantly surprised how realistic it all seemed.

Unfortunately BVE and OpenBVE discussion has been located right at the bottom of the forums so very few people probably get to see the news and announcements, it needs elevating at least on a par with Trainz or Open Rails.
    Vern.

It's a farce still!!!! Had a go on the EWS Class 66, a night scenario, 6V04 21.12 Angerstein Wharf with 12 x HKAs, got into the cab, all fuzzy, had to wait about 5 seconds for it to rectify itself, turned on indicator lights for dials, tried the horn which worked once and then gave up, turned cab light OFF, slammed it into notch 4 and went outside, no tail lamp on the end of the train, went back to the loco, still no horn, went outside and noticed that the interior light was on so bright I could read the poster behind the driver's head, you can't drive with cablights on at night, double checked the switch in the cab it still showed off, so, I just ended the scenario.
    Went onto the Class 166, scenario 1P27 09.32 Oxford to Paddington, the horn worked fine, for a bit, then it packed up after about 5 minutes, first stop is at Slough 10 minutes away, slammed it into notch 8 and just sat there twiddling me thumbs, decided to take some screenshots at 90 mph, they all came out of course, BUT, everything is blurred apart from the train, you can't see diddly squat of the scenery, what a load of rubbish, so, I ended the scenario at Slough, and went back to TS2017, if this is the result of 4 years work by DTG, then, they all want sacking.

Cheerz. Steve.

Here's a screenshot, it makes my eyes water if I look at it long enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 10-25-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: re-edit - added screeny
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

You must have something turned on different to me Steve, as i don't get those fuzzy screen shots buddy.

Looks like motion blur to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    By contrast, the latest OpenBVE seems to have brought significant improvements to the programme......
    it needs elevating at least on a par with Trainz or Open Rails.
    It is certainly a more significant simulation than TSW is or will ever be.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    It's a farce still!!!! Had a go on the EWS Class 66, a night scenario, 6V04 21.12 Angerstein Wharf with 12 x HKAs, got into the cab, all fuzzy, had to wait about 5 seconds for it to rectify itself, turned on indicator lights for dials, tried the horn which worked once and then gave up, turned cab light OFF, slammed it into notch 4 and went outside, no tail lamp on the end of the train, went back to the loco, still no horn, went outside and noticed that the interior light was on so bright I could read the poster behind the driver's head, you can't drive with cablights on at night, double checked the switch in the cab it still showed off, so, I just ended the scenario.
    Went onto the Class 166, scenario 1P27 09.32 Oxford to Paddington, the horn worked fine, for a bit, then it packed up after about 5 minutes, first stop is at Slough 10 minutes away, slammed it into notch 8 and just sat there twiddling me thumbs, decided to take some screenshots at 90 mph, they all came out of course, BUT, everything is blurred apart from the train, you can't see diddly squat of the scenery, what a load of rubbish, so, I ended the scenario at Slough, and went back to TS2017, if this is the result of 4 years work by DTG, then, they all want sacking.

Cheerz. Steve.

Here's a screenshot, it makes my eyes water if I look at it long enough.
    Try pressing Ctrl plus F2 that alternates between motion blur on and off i think
    Last edited by theswitcher; 10-25-2017 at 08:45 PM. Reason: wrong key mapping

Quote Originally Posted by theswitcher View Post
    Try pressing Ctrl plus F2 that alternates between motion blur on and off i think
    Thank you very much, that did the trick.

I can't get used to these shocking camera angles though, I managed to complete that freight scenario on the 2nd attempt, however, the cab camera angle is absolutely dreadful, although, in real life the Class 66 locomotives are poor in design to drive in my opinion anyway and this is replicated in the game, I use my mouse to drive which affords me a bit of realism in doing things. but, to use the brake you have to look down at the little brake lever and you have to hold the mouse down to get a full application for several seconds, so, by default the camera is subsequently pointing at your toes and you've got no chance of looking out of the window at where you are going, especially, if you're watching the signals, it's impossible to garner any authenticism out of what you are doing.
    In TS2017 I enjoy driving some of the American diesels, especially the old Geeps and now I have the levers and switches sussed out in their cabs I can look at what I'm doing out of the window and use my mouse to brake and accelerate, I can see what I'm doing with the camera angle set up accordingly, we can push back the seat and set the FOV to 80/90 % it's so simple, it's enjoyable.
    I've given up with this TSW version now, leave it to the XBox gamers and us proper Railsimmers will carry on with TS2017. I even had another go with the CSX Heavy Haul, but, I just can't get used to the UE4 engine, the whole atmosphere seems wishy washy, far too much light and we can't control the contrast, however many times we twiddle and tweak with the brightness settings, et al.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 10-28-2017 at 04:57 AM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.