Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: B&O West End

Remember that yards full of cars may indicate that traffic is not moving, while yards with mostly empty tracks can mean there's lots of traffic out on the road. A well maintained yard with relatively few cars in it may indicate that they have efficiently dispatched all of their traffic, while a poorly maintained yard that is full of cars may indicate that there's been a serious downturn in business.

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate all the sincere comments. I'm leaning towards doing as much as possible given the limitations of Scalerail and my abilities. But I REFUSE to use dynamic track, so that means a lot of trial and error and accepting of MSTS track system limitations.

Just some info. In the 1940s and early 1950s, B&O has only three westbound and five eastbound scheduled freights - 94s and 97s. The difference being westbound was predominately empties, while eastbound was loads, so westbound trains could be longer.

However, most days saw an average of 24 or more trains in each direction operated as extras. Of the 24, 17 were tonnage coal trains moving eastbound. Trains length was anywhere between 45-65 cars depending on availability of helpers. Daily peak in the 1940s were almost 1,400 cars eastbound - meaning some 990 were hoppers - mainly due to WW2. After the war, this dropped by 50% and settled at that rate for most of the decade after WW2 until the massive shift away from coal as prime home heating fuel in the NE.

Keyser remained a sea of loaded and empty hopper cars into the late 1950s, as the photo shows. Local and intermediate tonnage trains would get reclassified at Keyser for movement to Baltimore harbor export, forwarding to NE cities via WM and Reading, or other railroads. So cars would sit for days until enough volume of a certain quality was ready for shipment. I've seen claims that up to 30% of all the coal hauled by the B&O was consumed by other railroads.
    Keyser_Early50aLookinfWest.jpg
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Well the early phase is complete - East Receiving Yard is done and successfully crossed tile boundary with 11 tracks!

KeyserEastReceivingYard.jpg

only west receiving yard and east/west classification yards to go, plus all the facilities
    Chris

I'm looking forward to this route, especially being retired from CSX I am fairly familiar with it
    in the current time frame. You apparently had some concern about a yard crossing a tile
    boundary. The trick here is to insure that no joint between track pieces, whether one of 10
    in a 10-track piece, or one of one in a single piece, is closer than about a few meters from
    the boundary. In my own case, I have deliberately staggered some tracks, for example
    if I was using a 4-track piece and I came close to a boundary, I might use 2 2-track
    pieces of different lengths to insure this. Yes, you put more objects on the tile but it
    would be unusual to put too many in most situations. I got real close in a couple of tiles
    of the MCOA2 route, Tacoma Yards.

In my case, I have 3 favorite railroads, the L&N and two others, Clinchfield and
    Milwaukee Road.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Quote Originally Posted by landnrailroader View Post
    I'm looking forward to this route, especially being retired from CSX I am fairly familiar with it
    in the current time frame. You apparently had some concern about a yard crossing a tile.
    boundary.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)
    This was especially interesting because I had to selectively move the location of switches because of the tile boundary without destroying the flow and purpose of the yard tracks.

Thanks for the support. I'm sure you will recognize some landmarks and not others as they have changed a lot over the years.
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Man - I guess the B&O does have some interesting steam power - just poking around - some brute - eh ?

Now we just need ORTS to allow swapping shape files for tender coal loads - I don't think they will work as is in a Vanderbuilt...

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by scottb613; 04-15-2019 at 11:27 AM.

I never understood how those huge 10 (driving) wheelers coped with curves? They look as if they'd just straighten them out!!!
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

No flanges on the middle drivers.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Chris,

Man - I guess the B&O does have some interesting steam power - just poking around - some brute - eh ?

Regards,
    Scott
    Unfortunately, Big Sixes, as the 2-10-2 class was nicknamed, didn't see much action of the West End except as the lead on a very few passenger trains and helpers on some merchandise extras. West End was mallet territory - EL-2/3/4/5/6 (2-8-8-0) and T-3 (4-8-2). Big Sixes were the standard power for Sand Patch and the route to Connellsville.

BTW, Allen did a beta version of a Big Six which is really nice. Needs some work on physics as it's too powerful as is.
    Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info - honestly though - we'll never have all the routes to run proper rolling stock - on their proper tracks - in their proper era... If it's a B&O route - and a B&O locomotive - that's probably good enough for me...

As you may have noticed - I've been delving pretty deep into ORTS steam locomotive physics lately and I have somewhat mixed feelings on them... I certainly greatly appreciate all the blood, sweat, toil, and tears the ORTS team has put into them... While it's nice they are greatly simplified - we've actually seemed to have lost access to many of the parameters we had in MSTS... There are very few parameters ORTS actually uses and you can prune like 75% of an MSTS ENG file out... Copperpen has been helping me a great deal as well... It would be a pretty easy job to set the power correctly on Allen's model - that part seems to work quite well...

Regards,
    Scott