Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: B&O West End

Quote Originally Posted by scottb613 View Post
    Hi Christopher,

OK - from your doc - no fish belly and I have the wrong trucks... I've been meaning to make them - I think they're Andrews - let's see how motivated I get... Also noted the small percentage in use in 1926... Wagon Tops and X26 - gotcha...

Regards,
    Scott
    Scott,
    If you can hang on for a week or so, I've ordered B&O Summary of Equipment from 1946/47. That will provide lots of details of the exact quantity for every freight and passenger car class. Certainly will share with you that data.
    Last edited by longiron; 03-16-2018 at 01:35 PM. Reason: clarity
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Scott: The little marking that says B&O 4-37 is the shop date -- often (but not always) when the car was painted.
    The B&O is supposed to be the code that represents the specific shop. Only problem is that the B&O didn't use "B&O. A complete list of symbols is here: http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/p...oinfomain.html
    Symbols most likely to be used on B&O cars:
    BW (Brunswick)
    BY (Barr Yard, Chicago)
    CU (Cumberland)
    DU (DuBois PA)
    GA (Garrett IN)
    GR (Grafton WV)
    KY (Keyser WV)
    LP (Locust Point, Baltimore)
    MC (Mount Claire, Baltimore)
    PA (Parkersburg WV)

Hi Neil,

Thanks so much...

Hi Chris,

No rush from me - I have plenty to peter around with... Honestly BLWZT I'm sure will have a mega set that will have far more cars than I can ever complete - like you - I just like to model my own to suit my tastes - and don't mind sharing... LOL - I think we were both building Mountains at the same time when I came across your acquaintance...

Hi Christopher,

Once again a huge thank you - I left all the lettering in "vector" so it's easy to change the nomenclature... I think we'll go with "GR" - LOL...

Regards,
    Scott

I will tell you that we (BLWZT) will NOT have the mather stock cars and won't focus on the steam era cars before WWII.
    At this point, I don't think we are going to do the M-26 and wagontop boxcars either (the mainstay of the fleet).
    I think we'll do practically every other B&O freight car type and diesel locomotive out there in the fifties.
    Christopher
    Last edited by conductorchris; 03-16-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Construction continues. Working hard around Bloomington, MD and into Westernport, WV as 17 Mile Grade comes to an end. Westernport is the site of a major paper mill and interchange with WM (formerly the WV Central). Will take a while to work through the really dense scenery and complex track work.
    Bloomington.jpg
    Chris

Default B&O West End

Quote Originally Posted by longiron View Post
    Construction continues. Working hard around Bloomington, MD and into Westernport, WV as 17 Mile Grade comes to an end. Westernport is the site of a major paper mill and interchange with WM (formerly the WV Central). Will take a while to work through the really dense scenery and complex track work.
    Bloomington.jpg
    Hi Chris,

Look’n good - keep on keep’n on...

Regards,
    Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know of Bloomington as the site of a very large dam in the Potomac River built by the Corps of Engineers. The plan at one point was to dam up the Potomac River all the way down. Public protest at the environmental loss stopped that plan.

The Bloomington dam had the effect of trapping all the acid run-off from the coal mines. I recall my dad saying it would be a bad idea to go canoeing in that lake because our aluminium Grumman canoe would disintegrate.

This was all stuff from my childhood (1970's).

Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    I know of Bloomington as the site of a very large dam in the Potomac River built by the Corps of Engineers. The plan at one point was to dam up the Potomac River all the way down. Public protest at the environmental loss stopped that plan.

The Bloomington dam had the effect of trapping all the acid run-off from the coal mines. I recall my dad saying it would be a bad idea to go canoeing in that lake because our aluminium Grumman canoe would disintegrate.

This was all stuff from my childhood (1970's).

Christopher
    That dam was constructed way after the time frame of the route. From a local newspaper in 1981...

The new dam at Bloomington, in addition to stockpiling a water supply, is expected to serve as a tourist attraction, with a campground and picnic area planned to draw visitors to the 11-billion gallon lake. Already, a boat ramp is in place.

There will be no swimming and no fishing in Bloomington Lake. The Potomac, polluted by acid seeping from abandoned mines, stings the eyes and kills aquatic life as far downriver as Cumberland.

With the ability to regulate the river flow will come some improvement in water quality below the dam, along with a $7 million annual reduction in flood damage. "Instead of a hot shot of acid coming down every three months and burning the bank, we'll bleed it off a little at a time," explained reservoir manager N. Russell Newman.
    Chris

Just an update. Construction continues in the Bloomington/Luke/Westernoport/Piedmont area.

A shot of the Bloomington Viaduct and the WIP construction in the area.
    BloomingtonViaductWIP.jpg

Another shot, this time of the Westernport area, I have a lot of models to build for the WV Pulp and Paper company. Special thanks goes to Dave N, who shared his Sanborn maps of the area so I could accurately portray a really important route element. It is also where the Western Maryland interchanges with the B&O.
    WesternportWIP.jpg
    Chris

The latest from Mosaic - with key locations highlighted
    BO_WestEnd_Track_042018.jpg
    Chris