Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Model for ORTS only diesel .Eng?

Default Model for ORTS only diesel .Eng?

Hi, I am trying to rework some F7 locos for ORTS only operation but am having trouble trying to figure out what from MSTS has to be kept and what can be deleted from the eng file and what new ORTS lines are needed?

The ORTS manual seems to have information spread all over the place which is most annoying. There needs to be an index and better control over how the manual is formatted.

Robert

Hi Robert, this thread (post # 17) should help a little.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...-train-physics

I sent you a PM.

Cheers, Gerry
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I'd like info on this as well, I'm trying to rework an MPIxpress MP40PH-3C to Open Rails values. This locomotive is powered by an EMD 710G.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Hi Robert, this thread (post # 17) should help a little.
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...-train-physics

I sent you a PM.

Cheers, Gerry
    Gerry...

How does this sound to you!?.... Why don't you take a locomotive from the file library here ( perhaps Tyler Bundy's GP10 ) and create what you believe to be the ideal .eng file for OR. No need to alter the Cabview or sound files, but all the other parameters like brakes, air, coupling, lights etc. etc.... this way we can all look at it in one place, rather than read a snippet here... a snippet there. Then upload it to somewhere that we can download it.

Are you up to it?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peterman View Post
    Gerry...

How does this sound to you!?.... Why don't you take a locomotive from the file library here ( perhaps Tyler Bundy's GP10 ) and create what you believe to be the ideal .eng file for OR. No need to alter the Cabview or sound files, but all the other parameters like brakes, air, coupling, lights etc. etc.... this way we can all look at it in one place, rather than read a snippet here... a snippet there. Then upload it to somewhere that we can download it.

Are you up to it?

Peter
    Yep, sounds like fun. But, you realize that Tyler's GP10's ( like all his most recent work since the SW1400's) are set up as OR engines in the OpenRails folder. In fact helping Tyler with the IC and ICG SW1400s enlightened me quite a lot about the ORTSDieselsEngines block.
    With both worked together, combining what we knew ( he considerably, more than me...mostly I knew from reading and studying the OR manual, OR threads and posts...he knew from experience) and he's been adapting the OpenRails file work to fit the newer stuff.

The only item I added was using OR's ".inc" file feature in a Common.Std folder. Exactly like a Common.Cab or Common.Snd folder, with path statements in the engine file found in the OpenRails folder. Makes it a lot easier to standardize things, brakes, couplers, engines. A change in one spot affects the whole fleet. Local changes can be made to mod one engine, of course.

If Tyler doesn't mind, I'm good to go. I would hope others would contribute, because there are quite a few ORTS parameters that I'm not familiar with, nor do I know how to construct them.
    One example would be the ORTSTractionCharacteristics Table. I've only seen one that I would trust, because it comes from Bob Boudoin's Burlington Shop Beta physics. There's also a bunch of ORTS brake parameters that I haven't used yet.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Yep, sounds like fun. But, you realize that Tyler's GP10's ( like all his most recent work since the SW1400's) are set up as OR engines in the OpenRails folder. In fact helping Tyler with the IC and ICG SW1400s enlightened me quite a lot about the ORTSDieselsEngines block.
    With both worked together, combining what we knew ( he considerably, more than me...mostly I knew from reading and studying the OR manual, OR threads and posts...he knew from experience) and he's been adapting the OpenRails file work to fit the newer stuff.

The only item I added was using OR's ".inc" file feature in a Common.Std folder. Exactly like a Common.Cab or Common.Snd folder, with path statements in the engine file found in the OpenRails folder. Makes it a lot easier to standardize things, brakes, couplers, engines. A change in one spot affects the whole fleet. Local changes can be made to mod one engine, of course.

If Tyler doesn't mind, I'm good to go. I would hope others would contribute, because there are quite a few ORTS parameters that I'm not familiar with, nor do I know how to construct them.
    One example would be the ORTSTractionCharacteristics Table. I've only seen one that I would trust, because it comes from Bob Boudoin's Burlington Shop Beta physics. There's also a bunch of ORTS brake parameters that I haven't used yet.

Gerry, Let us know which .eng file you end up using. Perhaps with the input of other members, a standardized .eng file that can be used by both freeware and payware developers can be had.

Peter

Go for it, Gerry! As you said before, the ORTS .eng files in my recent model releases are a "compliment" to the original MSTS .eng files. They only include the edited lines of the MSTS .eng file and the ORTS-specific additions. Consequently, they would not work if the MSTS .eng file was not present in the main locomotive folder. There are more ORTS parameters that could be added to my diesel locomotives, such as the brake pipe leak rate and the ORTSTractionCharacteristics. Some of the data is basically an educated guess, so I'm open to others crunching the numbers to find something better.

That said, I have no idea what exactly ORTS needs to read a "complete" .eng file. I like my method for my own new content because it allows the last few MSTS users to enjoy it as well. A user that does not have MSTS could still use the locomotive in Open Rails and the extra MSTS .eng file would be of little consequence unless they wanted to edit something and didn't know how the method worked.

I really like the idea of the Common.Std folder. I've been hoping for awhile now that someone would compile a physics package for ORTS, similar to Bob Bodouin's and Bill Prieger's physics packs for MSTS. That would probably require a concerted effort by a number of minds to pool resources and agree on what is "standard", as I haven't been able to decide on such standards yet alone.

Tyler

Howdy !!...

Something that I thought y'all might be interested in. Having read some threads and seeing some screenshots, it seems that the belief is that you can only use two sphere of light parameters ( some call it "cone" ) in the .eng file. Not so!!... presently, three parameters can be set up... Dim, Bright and Rear as seen ( hopefully ) in the following screenshots.

Dim

Open Rails - Dim.jpg

Bright

Open Rails - Bright.jpg

Rear

Open Rails - Rear 2.jpg

Flashing ditch lights can also be added, but you'd have to give up one of the other parameters.

Maybe one day OR developers will expand this feature.

Peter

While setting up ORTS eng files following the Coals to New Castle site I have come up with a question?

Is there any reason why all fuel related lines cannot be assembled like this?

Comment ( ********************************* Fuel *********************************
    Included in this section - Diesel, Coal, Water, etc
    ************************************************** ********************* )

IntakePoint ( -3.33 0.4 FuelDiesel )
    IntakePoint ( 3.33 0.4 FuelDiesel )

MaxDieselLevel ( 1200gal )
    DieselUsedPerHourAtMaxPower ( 93.1gal )
    DieselUsedPerHourAtIdle ( 3.2gal )

In otherwords if I move some lines of the .Eng file around will this cause ORTS to crash?

Robert

The two DieselUsed lines are in the ORTS Diesel Engines block, so the any in the block (in the OpenRails folder ) would replace the ones found in the parent eng file.

As far as crashing OR??? not much help, I know.