Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TSRE Google Maps Overlay

Default TSRE Google Maps Overlay

Hello all,

I've been meaning to ask around about the process of overlaying Google Maps satellite images onto terrain data in TSRE, similarly to how you can load map data into TSRE. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
    Jon Clark - Butler, Pa

Quote Originally Posted by bessemer View Post
    Hello all,

I've been meaning to ask around about the process of overlaying Google Maps satellite images onto terrain data in TSRE, similarly to how you can load map data into TSRE. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!
    I would also like to know if whether may l to do that but first I must see how the routes are made
    Last edited by 500emddie; 11-01-2017 at 11:40 PM.

Chasing NICTD on Michigan Streets

sumitsingh Guest

HiAFAIK, I had entered a Google static map key in settings.txt and there is option now in TSRE5 to save those overlay tiles.

Correct -- you need to get a Maps API key

Here's how you do it:

First, add this code to the settings.txt file:

Code:
    imageMapsUrl = http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/staticmap?center={lat},{lon}&zoom={zoom}&size={res}x{res}&maptype=satellite&key=AIzaSyD1EHD9PJZ16-wZR5jMj76xyIwn_6irN40
    Then, in the editor, go to Tools>Geo.

Click "Load Map", then click on the tile you want to load the satellite image for.

Select "Raster Images Z17" from the drop down window and press "Load". Give the program a minute to download the cooresponding satellite file. Once loaded, press "Save to Disk".

From here, you can either click "Show/Hide Map" to use this as an overlay or "Make Tile Texture from Map" to use the satellite image on the actual route. Press the tile and the texture now appears.

Hopefully this clears it up.
    Last edited by Train-a-Mania; 11-03-2017 at 07:13 PM.
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

Thats great you learned how Nick, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what you mean by select "Raster Images Z17" from the drop down menu. I don't see any drop down menu available under the Geo section, or any of the . I added that line of code under the last previous line in the settings.txt file, do you know if it matters where you place that line?
    Jon Clark - Butler, Pa

To see the drop-down, you have to click "Load Map" and then click the tile you want to load the Google satellite image for.

My bad, I left that out initially.
    Nick - Creator of the Virtual Railroading Review Show

I figured that's what you meant but I wasn't sure. For some reason, it's not loading a drop down menu for me using that code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Clark - Butler, Pa

I must have been using an outdated version of TSRE. I've redownloaded the program and I have google overlays working perfectly. Thanks so much for your help, gentlemen.
    Jon Clark - Butler, Pa

Default settings

Quote Originally Posted by sumitsingh View Post
    HiAFAIK, I had entered a Google static map key in settings.txt and there is option now in TSRE5 to save those overlay tiles.
    how to enter a google static map key in settings.txt