Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Deleting rolling stock

Default Deleting rolling stock

I was thinking of buying a new route, but the route comes with a lot of rolling stock. Is it possible to install the route without the rolling stock. I already have the rolling stock for 9 Maple Leaf Tracks routes plus about a dozen locomotives from Train Sim and 2 dozen Freight cars from Train Sim. So I have enough rolling stock. Any help would be appreciated.

You can delete the routes rolling stock - but,
    If the route also comes with activities (or add-on activities are available that you'd like to use), then you either:
    a) delete the activities and make your own using your preferred rolling stock, or
    b) keep the activities but use Route Riter, or another utility, to swap out the routes rolling stock with your preferred rolling stock

If you are wanting to delete the stock, why not zip/save the files off somewhere safe. You never know, later down the road you may enjoy increasing your trainset folder.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Hi Neil, I know I can delete the rolling stock after I have installed the route, but if I buy the route the rolling stock is part of the package. When I download a free route from Train Sim sometimes there is rolling stock included and I simply delete the rolling stock, activities folders. I sent an email some time ago to MLT asking them if I could buy the Cascade Route without the rolling stock but they never answered. I guess I'll just have to buy it and delete the rolling stock, I think it comes with 43 pieces of equipment.
    Anyway thanks for responding.

My own opinion is you can never have too much rolling stock! Of course your limit is disk size, but otherwise why delete it? In the real world, rolling stock is one big variety stew. But I can accept you might not agree.

Hi Conductor, I appreciate your opinion and normally I would agree you never have too much rolling stock. But I find it a pain to have to scroll thru a long list to find a certain type of boxcar or whatever. When I go to the Editor and try to make a mixed consist of 90 cars, if everything was in alphabetical order then it would be no problem but the rolling stock is not in order and I also have to try and remember what the file names represent or click on each one to see the picture of the car.
    Wally

So much of that MLT stock is outdated by today's standards. Its always healthy to weed out the old.

If you have a utility like Conbuilder, you can keep the stock out, but still save the activities if you go about replacing what's missing in the consists and loose consists. Conbuilder has testing functions that examine consists for missing material and gives you the opportunity to substitute. It also has a loose consist editor, so you can tell what stock in loose consists is missing and you can replace it.

Goku's new (free) consist editor: (http://koniec.org/tsre5/) makes it really easy to search your rolling stock. For example, enter reporting marks or car type or whatever. I almost never scroll through a list of rolling stock anymore. I understand what you are saying about not liking to. And nothing worse than accidentally adding crappy rolling stock that you forgot just how bad it was.

Quote Originally Posted by waalee View Post
    Hi Conductor, I appreciate your opinion and normally I would agree you never have too much rolling stock. But I find it a pain to have to scroll thru a long list to find a certain type of boxcar or whatever. When I go to the Editor and try to make a mixed consist of 90 cars, if everything was in alphabetical order then it would be no problem but the rolling stock is not in order and I also have to try and remember what the file names represent or click on each one to see the picture of the car.
    Wally
    Ever creator of items for MSTS (ORTS) Trainset has their own naming convention. If you want your rolling stock in alphabetical order wht you need to do is create your own convention (or use the one Geepsteer and I use: RR Type #s) then edit the Name line of each ENgine and Wagon. Also you need to use any of the Consist Editors other that the one in the MSTS AE. I prefer ConBuilder because it can also be used to test the consists and Activities for missing items.

As to "Long lists" then get Train Store to filter your Trainset database before creating consists.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by conductorchris View Post
    Goku's new (free) consist editor: (http://koniec.org/tsre5/) makes it really easy to search your rolling stock. For example, enter reporting marks or car type or whatever. I almost never scroll through a list of rolling stock anymore. I understand what you are saying about not liking to. And nothing worse than accidentally adding crappy rolling stock that you forgot just how bad it was.
    OK, that's a feature I really want. I just took a look at TSRE and don't see any place to enter that data. In fact I have a vague idea of how to work it, but I couldn't figure out how to see the contents of an existing consist. I've been putting off trying to study the thing because I haven't reached the point of building consists yet. I did have to build two for the LaSalle, Rockford and Central line, which did not include the consists for its activities, but I just used Route Riter's simple editor, which was intuitive. It would be wonderful to be able to identify cars by type -- flat, gondola, hopper, box, reefer, etc. Is there a tutorial anywhere for TSRE?

The search feature is called "filter" in TSRE. It's on the upper right.

I thought ConBuilder had a search function too?

There are instructions for TSRE on the website. Best advice is just to make time to sit down and play with it. I find it a vast improvement over route_riter's consist editor.