Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: So what is on the horizon?

Default So what is on the horizon?

Just curious since I'm not a member of certain clubs/forums what is coming down the pipe? I say that for the rest of us who have purchased and supported Run8 (for me since before day 1 of going public).

I would say I have about a dozen people give or take who will tell me rumors of what they have seen. Some get posted to Facebook groups, I guess private forums and conversations. Not sure what is rumor or fact.

Let's see what have I heard recently:

LA is coming out in December? (or whenever it's ready)
    Editors (something was mentioned about this)

But other than that the official website doesn't say much more of anything new.

Make no mistake I got my money's worth years ago with Run8, this isn't sour grapes. At one time we had other projects in CA mentioned such as Yuma (which personally I have no interest in, but that's ok at least it was something). I think Alaska was another one that was a bit odd, but mentioned too. Haven't heard much on that either for a long time.

Around here it's like crickets. I've seen the various new engine types, repaints, etc. That and the east expansion hasn't interested me. Last purchase I made was Waycross, and that has been well worth the price just on the hump alone.

Would love to see a new region, smaller route. But I guess I fall on the minority on that wish.

BTW I changed my signature to reflect what I'm really doing now. RTS car forwarding has ended, and a new "mo betta" version is being developed by a cool guy. He said he would give me some credit in inspiring him, and I gave him full support and wish him the best. It's being tested out I think on some servers now.

Anyways, all for now. Hope to hear from someone to shed some light out of the tunnel soon.

Thanks

Sean

Editor(s) would be the biggest boon IMO, since it would let the creativity of the community loose. Otherwise, I'm one of a seemingly large group -- fans of Eastern US mountain lines.

A Thanksgiving sale to catch up on some rolling stock and the Cajon route (pre LA release) would be nice... Having - according to my missus - blown my software budget for the next 10 years buying a new car.

LA will be a welcome addition but need assurance it will abut into either Mojave or Needles without needing to own Cajon - possibly via Soledad Canyon.

And I second or is that third the call for a route editor, even if required to pay a reasonable fee and circulate content via 3DTS. Somerset and Dorset or West Highland line even with US stock would be awesome!

Finally the usual plea for better variety of traction than endless EMD's/GE's - Alco's, Baldwins and FM units not to mention a couple of steam locos too.
    Vern.

Please no editors, it can lead to all sorts of compatibility problems and not to mention the need of constant searching for stock that is needed to run a particular route.

I left MSTS years ago for good reason.
    Run8 is currently one of the very rare pieces of software that just works out of the box.

I understand that the downside is slow(er) releases but I can live with that if they stay at the current standard which is very good.

Vern for 10 years of software purchases I would have told the missus that only a Rolls Royce would fit in the garage.
    Maybe a 911 or two. :P

Re Editors, obviously there is going to be a difference of opinion amongst users as to the desirability - I'm one of those who would be keen to "have a go". The downer would appear to be, if 3DTS wanted to do it and it was easy to accomplish without revealing the source code (apparently DTG's worry with TSW) they would have done so already.

But it is frustrating to see great North American routes which would make ideal subjects for the Run 8 treatment going untouched, because development is so limited.
    Vern.

Yeah that's the downside and I do understand it is frustrating a lot of people and keeping potential purchasers away.

If you let the Missus drive your car does your software ban get reduced accordingly (down to 5 years?) :P
    Thinking of options for you mate, you're in a compromised position.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_FX View Post
    Please no editors, it can lead to all sorts of compatibility problems and not to mention the need of constant searching for stock that is needed to run a particular route.

I left MSTS years ago for good reason.
    Run8 is currently one of the very rare pieces of software that just works out of the box.

I understand that the downside is slow(er) releases but I can live with that if they stay at the current standard which is very good.

I'm with you and am quite content to take this simulator wherever Run8 Studios wants to take it. Their vision of uniformity across ALL installations of their code is what makes everything work and work in the same fashion; regardless of platform.

I agree that having to sift through someone's modification to find all the content required is a HUGE drawback.

I'll wait and purchase each addition in its time. I eliminated my "budgeter" 30+ years ago so I could buy the big-boy toys I wanted.

[SIGH] Sadly though, I probably won't ever have a Porsche 911... but I do have a nice 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
    Eschew Obfuscation...

I have sent the creators of Run 8 a private email a couple of months ago. I love trails and have supported all of the simulators out there. I love what Run 8 has done. I purchased version 1 but never progressed with updates or add-ons. I love just being in the seat, operating trains. I am not a around the yard guy but a long haul type. I have absolutely no interest in the dispatcher part of Run 8 and that is what has kept me at bay. I would like to see something from Run 8 that allows me to drive trains but don't have to dispatch. Fix that and I'm sold!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_FX View Post
    .....Run8 is currently one of the very rare pieces of software that just works out of the box.

I second, third and fourth that sentiment.

Being from the generation which bought the product as a disk (or discs) in a box with a 200 page manual and there were no such things as editors (apart from mission creation in combat flight sims) or "updates", I can live without any editing suite at all for Run 8.

To put it in two words....it works.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by derickavery View Post
    I have sent the creators of Run 8 a private email a couple of months ago. I love trails and have supported all of the simulators out there. I love what Run 8 has done. I purchased version 1 but never progressed with updates or add-ons. I love just being in the seat, operating trains. I am not a around the yard guy but a long haul type. I have absolutely no interest in the dispatcher part of Run 8 and that is what has kept me at bay. I would like to see something from Run 8 that allows me to drive trains but don't have to dispatch. Fix that and I'm sold!!!
    That's an easy fix.

Either stop AI trains from spawning or what I do is, say I'm at San Bernardino and want to go to Seligman I start spawning at Seligman only and run all the westbound signals in fleet (solid green indication) and watch trains as they pass me by at a rate of knots.
    No need for any despatching at all. Sometimes I despatch and just watch trains.. V2 is pretty versatile.

For what it's worth I play the same way you do. i.e no interest in yards etc (yet) mainly because I don't understand it all correctly.