Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: So what is on the horizon?

I expect them to add weather effects at some point, at least rain. I don't need shaking trees with the wind or anything but rain drops please, omg :{

I agree. A more substantial weather model would be great. Although I don`t see one forth-coming for California.

I did hear someone mention "economy" model. This would be a good incentive to move things around, especially for all the bridge traffic. In the meantime I`m looking forward to the LA expansion if and when it comes.

For me personally weather, an economy model, better graphics, or even more engines and rolling stock is not important.

I've defended this sim many many times on here, and I still attest to the fact that by far this is the best train simulator on the planet. I also got my money's worth a long time ago. That being said since I've already got my money's worth moving on or limiting the amount of time I use Run8 is a no brainer for me.

They will fix the issues they are aware of as known issues such as hump etc. Once they do that my interest will probably come back up a bit, for now the way I operate (full prototypical operations at Waycross) is not realistic because of these issues. Again this is a known issue, so it will be dealt with eventually. Waycross is an awesome route, and worth every penny and for me has the most promise.

That being said all you have to do is read the about us paragraph on the official website. It's the one thing that hasn't changed in 6 years now. I'm paraphrasing but it goes something like being in this for the long run.

There are lots of rumors, but we shouldn't be getting rumors. Being able to address the entire community, not just the most popular sites, or parts of those sites. I want to see this grow, and I want them to get paid for their work. But when a product become stagnant, even with little to no competition people will eventually go elsewhere.

In 2016 there was a buzz about V2. In fact the first 4 years I believe there was some kind of buzz, or anticipation of something coming be it new routes, features, etc. I simply don't sense that buzz and it's great that you're happy with what you have and it continues to give you the entertainment you seek. I'll likely be running on a server myself tonight or Wednesday.

But in it's current form I can do what I did for the first several years and that is host a server under full operations. Yes V1 didn't have AI so that alone changed things. But when AI became a part of Run8 that raised the bar as to what Run8 is capable of. Unfortunately the bigger a region becomes, the more complex the operation is. That would be fine if the growth of servers actually matched it, but it's in the opposite. Servers are going up in numbers like days of old, but the numbers running them are down compared to even the peaks of V1.

Even the most popular server out there CAN NOT run all of CA and every AI train on a regular basis. It's not a point of if someone can run with AI to make it interesting etc. There are many ways people can and will run to enjoy it the way they want. For me what this sim needs is a better AI spawning system (what was shown as a screenshot before V2, and is rumored, but not confirmed). That alone will allow single player who wants to run scheduled services not be worried about spawning trains and starting up AI (it would do so automatically). The current AI spawner has random number flaws, is not prototypical, and appears lazy and toy like. Now what I would come to expect from a simulation that prides itself on being prototypically sound. But from there you have those still looking for editors (again rumored but not confirmed). Keep in mind some kind of editor was a goal of the team to be out by the end of YEAR 1 of V1 and it was scrapped.

Then you have the stuff we thought was coming but eventually quietly was no longer talked about. Alaska was once up on a list of the site, now gone. I believe Yuma Sub was another one though as big as CA region has got it's really not for me. Then there are all the other areas of not only the U.S. but the world. Nothing for Europe, not that I'm complaining about it but I'm sure it would be very welcome considering they did add ons for MS Train Simulator for this region.

This isn't about not seeing new things from time to time, we still get that. I just see plenty of people out there who want to see more. It's been a great run and for over 5 years either developing what I already had, or looking forward to what was coming kept me interested. Burn out happens from time to time, it's more than that. It comes down to resources and they are time and money. How much more of each do I want to put into something that appears to be slowly drifting into the past?

I may be the only person here posting about these concerns. But I assure you the numbers tell a story, that I'm not the only one who thinks this way. But I'm glad for many here, the best sim is keeping you happy. Doesn't mean I can't wish that it would get better.

Thanks

Sean

Hopefully they will give us some news in the New Year.

The other possibility (pure speculation!) is that they are beavering away on V3 and will spring that on us next year. It will feature TSW style walk around and career mode but retaining the award winning physics. A full AI despatcher will be available with intelligent routing to resolve conflicts with the player train. There will be Alco's, a nice Mikado or similar steam loco and the Moffat Tunnel or Kicking Horse Pass route along with a bonus Peruvian Central from Lima to Huancayo. And the Somerset and Dorset Line with 9F steam loco...

Vern now returning to Planet Reality...
    Vern.

haha

I know they are going to fix the known issues, that has been clear.

I'd just be happy with a more TD3 like spawning system. Being train master spawning train in while trying to run at 100% is only barely possible in the eastern routes.

For now I'm taking a well deserved break from Run8. I've downloaded the gracious xmas packs. I'll run a session from time to time, but my bigger plans can wait until Run8 catches back up to my small yet demanding requests.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    For me....weather, an economy model, better graphics, or even more engines and rolling stock is not important....
    .... this is the best train simulator on the planet. I also got my money's worth a long time ago. ...
    I agree wholeheartedly, Sean.

The emphasis is on the word simulator (it should be "simulation" but let's not split hairs).
    That is the essence of Run 8 and so long as the development team place that at the top of the pile then that's all that matters.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Actually one thing I would like to see, back on Planet Reality, is a slightly more sophisticated Save system. Almost finished my marathon run from Bakersfield to Seligman with BKDOU and the total time is coming in at just under 14 hours. However that is somewhat extended as resuming numerous times, on each occasion you are spending a minute or two restarting the train, then another two or three minutes getting back up to speed. That's probably the equivalent of an hour or more - so a save that loads the world with trains - including yours - moving exactly as they were would be a useful step.

One other thing would be adjustable sunrise and sunset. I know the difference is not so marked at SoCal and Arizona latitudes but it should still be light until 8 or 9pm in the summer with dawn at around 5am.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Actually one thing I would like to see, back on Planet Reality, is a slightly more sophisticated Save system. Almost finished my marathon run from Bakersfield to Seligman with BKDOU and the total time is coming in at just under 14 hours. However that is somewhat extended as resuming numerous times, on each occasion you are spending a minute or two restarting the train, then another two or three minutes getting back up to speed. That's probably the equivalent of an hour or more - so a save that loads the world with trains - including yours - moving exactly as they were would be a useful step.

One other thing would be adjustable sunrise and sunset. I know the difference is not so marked at SoCal and Arizona latitudes but it should still be light until 8 or 9pm in the summer with dawn at around 5am.
    Agreed.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850