Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Donated Danny Beck ATSF Set and BNSF SD70MAC sets

Default Donated Danny Beck ATSF Set and BNSF SD70MAC sets

Does anyone have Danny's donated ATSF set and his BNSF SD70MAC set
    "There's always light at the end of the tunnel."...Actually, I think that's a train.

As I explained to you via PM Ryan, I'm still hoping to have all Danny's sets (or at least the 14 I have) uploaded but as I also explained, there's a couple of things need to be clarified, one of which is whether Danny is still happy to have them hosted here. You said you were going to message him through Facebook and wait for his reply. Did you get a message back?
    Cheers!
    Pete

I did message him and it said it was seen by him, but no reply. I don't know why he wouldn't be happy if they're uploaded here. He donated them for a reason.
    Last edited by BNSF_777; 11-20-2017 at 01:28 PM.
    "There's always light at the end of the tunnel."...Actually, I think that's a train.

And apparently also removed them for a reason.
    Cheers!
    Pete

Moral of the story:

Repainters, always start your projects with the most recent, still-commercially available models as possible. Aside from supporting our vendors, you won't inadvertently trigger such a mad scramble for "free stuff" that's been available for 5 years by all the folk were too lazy to download it over those 5 years until 1 week after the magical distribution website goes offline. It's like a reverse cockroach infestation, man. Take the food away, and they all crawl out of the crevices. Well, maybe such lax organizational habits and failure to apply themselves are why they can never seem to afford the current models or that new screaming gamer PC anyway. #JustSayin'.

Two good "morals" there geepster... repaint on the newest available models and support our vendors.

Just in case anyone thinks I'm being difficult about releasing Danny's models, I'll clarify my situation. Don asked about the availability of these and Larry kindly offered to make them available. Having not uploaded before, I offered to assist Larry and we decided I'd do the upload. Friday night I spent a number of hours putting together engine files, NOT FOR THE UPLOAD, but just so I could put the locos on the tracks and take screenshots for Nels to use as thumbnails for the F/L. During that process I had some concerns and reached out to a number of people whose opinions and judgement I respect for clarification. As a result of those discussions I became aware of the backstory/history (whatever you want to call it) on Danny's models and one of the issues raised was that at one stage he had made them available here via a link which he later removed. This raised the question in a couple of people's minds whether he still viewed them as freeware and had just lost interest in how/when/where they were shared, or whether he'd changed his mind about sharing them and was there a way to clarify this?

If anyone can categorically state that these models are still free to be shared and the managers of this site are in agreement, I'll have them to Nels within 24 hours of that determination being made.
    Last edited by ossie; 11-20-2017 at 06:27 AM. Reason: clarity
    Cheers!
    Pete

I don't recall any specific reason for why they weren't uploaded to the library back in 2013. If there was drama, it was not on the forums here, and the only reason the "Donating" thread was closed down was that it turned into a huge gimme gimme discussion after 18 pages.

The files had been shared via ADrive, but they got rid of free accounts back in 2015, which was why the link went away.

There's not a license or readme file in any of the zips I have, and that's where someone would normally specify what rights they're retaining. Danny did say they could be shared freely, but he didn't explicitly say they could be added to one of the many file libraries available (here, ET, uktrainsim). That's the grey area.

Thanks Eric, grey it is.

A person has been kind enough to contact me overnight to tell me that (at least some of) the DB files were hosted at the Siskurail site and their recollection was that the terms for Danny's files at Siskurail were that people were free to download them but not to re-upload them to other sites. The person was clear that their recollection may not be completely correct so not to take it as gospel, but if that is correct, your point about file libraries is spot on.

I will send a message to Dale to try to clarify the situation, but as I understand it he has also left the hobby so I may hear nothing back.
    Last edited by ossie; 11-20-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: typo
    Cheers!
    Pete

As I pointed out, reinforced by others, in an earlier thread..... The vast majority of this "freeware" is very incomplete. Frankly much of it is still available in full form at TrainSimulations and with the re-jigging of their packs much of it can be bought "FULL, COMPLETE and Ready to Run" for less than you could earn in the time it would take to turn these into fully operational models. There's an old saying.... "There's no such thing as a free lunch"
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Geoff, maybe that is true for some of the newer content, but I can't locate the old BN locomotive pack in the store within a new package. The GP38-2 and SD40-2 from that pack are pretty integral in some of my older repaints in the file library. It's no sweat to me because I bought it long ago, but a newcomer is not as fortunate. They are as old as the hills, true, but hopefully not completely useless.

Pete, good luck on your quest for an answer. Regardless of the outcome, I REALLY hope you get some clarification.

Tyler