Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worse game performance?

How does it run at night? If it runs smooth at night, it's likely the shadows. I find sunrise and sunset to be the toughest times on my frame rates. Of course they can be adjusted, but when you have a taste of something, you like to keep it as high as you can.

Thanks

Sean

Hmmm I have just been sent a message that is very interesting affecting intel and a few ARM processors.

Since 2005 (Conroe/Merom) intel processors have used very aggresive prefetching (taking a calculated guess at the next command) and it has left it very vulnerable to the protected kernel memory.

The upshot to all this is the cpu is compromised and so is your computer (badly) so now the downside, this can be fixed and has been via software being rolled out by Miicrosoft Update. The real sting in the bum is that it will degrade performance and up to 40% has been seen.

There are two viruses one called meltdown and the other is sceptre. Meltdown is far more serious. Sceptre can be handled.
    There is some good news at the moment AMD doesn't use as aggressive prefetching as intel, therefore they are immune to meltdown but may be vulnerable to sceptre in some cases. Sceptre is considered pretty harmless.

So if you have an AMD or are thinking of upgrading your pc - think seriously about your choices.

For the rest of us using intel cpu's....um sh!t!

Not sure if you can remove the update and I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending you do. EDIT: After looking into this further definitely don't remove it. It seriously gets right in and can steal passwords but even worse encryption keys!!

Does that patch affect run8 performance? Who knows????

I'm seeing a performance drop and was chasing my graphics card. It's not drastic nor noticeable. I'm just seeing lower fps on the gauge.

EDIT. Make no mistake, Apple are caught up in this as well.

EDIT 2: It seems Spectre affects mobile devices, so phones and tablets. Hopefully that means the AMD desktop processors are unaffected for those lucky enough.
    Last edited by Aussie_FX; 01-08-2018 at 11:44 PM.

I'd like to point out.

Don't be panicked by these viruses, that's not an issue. Run an av scan.

It's more about cpu's performance loss, nothing more.
    So don't get frightened, that's definitely not the intention of my post above.
    Last edited by Aussie_FX; 01-08-2018 at 11:41 PM.

Aussie: we should probably take this discussion to another section for extended discssion, because it affects everything (not just Run8). In fact, it may affect games less than some other things - the real issue is how many system calls are made (so data centers hosting hundreds of web sites or big database operations are in trouble). MSTS probably is in trouble since it hits the disk so much.

The problem isn't just with processors since about 2005; the worst problem hits nearly all Intel chips since the 1990s (essentially, Pentium 4 era) that use "speculative execution" - when properly tweaked, it's possible for somebody to see data in the cache that they aren't supposed to have rights to see, or at least to infer what it is with a high degree of confidence. Such attacks have been around for a long time, but now a way has been found to do it fast enough to be useful to a hacker.

At this point, if your system is 5 years or more old, it will never be fixed. Windows and Linux have patches that mitigate the problem, but don't fix it. The fix requires changes to the system firmware and the processor microcode - Intel's only going to do that for the most recent chips, really. So yes, it does suggest a need (if you're properly paranoid) to get a new computer (probably AMD in the short term, which is probably immune to the worst ("Meltdown") attack and less affected by the other forms of it than Intel also). The real fixes, in the CPU itself, are only slowly rolling out, and *mostly* don't make much difference in low-level benchmarks and application tests (i.e. you won't notice in the real world) on the latest CPUs. *Some* benchmarks of the patches, especially those involving large or rapid disk operations, are noticeably slower, with the worst case in the 30% slower neighborhood (though again those are more of a worry for the data centers than for most home users).

Intel is the one affected by the worst problem ("Meltdown") because of the way its processor designs handle speculative execution. At least one ARM chip family also has the problem. Otherwise, the "Spectre" problem (of which "Meltdown" is really a subset) is more widespread - almost universal since practically all modern CPUs work the same way more or less. At least one troubling vector - javascript, which would allow anybody to look inside your computer - is mostly blocked by browser changes that have already occurred in Firefox and Edge/IE (coming very soon in Chrome and others), so the attack would require direct login access to your computer. And partial mitigation is already in place with Windows (Jan 3) and Linux (Jan 2) operating systems, coming soon in the others.

The way I see it, we will all (unless our current Intel-based computers are less than 2-3 years old) have to buy new computers to fix this, probably sooner than we really wanted to. However, given the limitations, if you keep up to date you probably don't have much to worry about right away. In the short term, don't buy Intel if you're buying new - the permanent fixes that also mitigate most of the performance effect probably won't arrive until the next processor model comes out later this year. In the short term, AMD looks like a better bet because it's less exposed (though not fully clear of issues) due to architectural choices they made. Basically, Intel made some questionable choices in how they handled speculative execution in their processor design, and they're now coming home to roost, but Intel's not the only one affected in some way by some form of "Spectre."
    Last edited by mikeebb; 01-09-2018 at 01:11 AM. Reason: spelchk doesn't catch right word used wrong...

Cheers Mike.

You know far more than I.

Thanks.

Looking a little further into this, there is really 3 exploits
    Meltdown. Affects all intel and a lot of ARM chips (phones) AMD unaffected.
    Spectre 1 Affects all intel and same ARM chips AMD Bulldozer only (zen [ryzen]) unaffected and Bulldozer family only if running Linux.
    Spectre 2 Affects all intel - no patch for any os yet and AMD unaffected.

Looks like I will be going back to AMD again or pulling an old chip out of the cupboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_FX View Post
    Looking a little further into this, there is really 3 exploits
    Meltdown. Affects all intel and a lot of ARM chips (phones) AMD unaffected.
    Spectre 1 Affects all intel and same ARM chips AMD Bulldozer only (zen [ryzen]) unaffected and Bulldozer family only if running Linux.
    Spectre 2 Affects all intel - no patch for any os yet and AMD unaffected.

Looks like I will be going back to AMD again or pulling an old chip out of the cupboard.
    Here's a demonstration of Meltdown:

From a programmer's point of view (me ), it seems strange that this only got discovered now (given that it affects all chips since 1995).