Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creating reversed locomotives

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    No, you don't need to do that just to flip one unit in a loose consist. You need to find out how to flip the unit directionally via the consist editor of your choice. No need to create a bunch of needless redundant wag files like we did in 2002 before we had the current tools.
    None of the CEs will do that. An AE might. BUT the easiest way is to open the ACT file in his Unicode editor, find the loose consist, and add the parameter Flip ( ) to the correct EngineData section.
    Charles

Example from an activity file to illustrate Charles's previous post

Code:
    			ActivityObject (
    				ObjectType ( WagonsList )
    				Train_Config (
    					TrainCfg ( ""
    						Name ( "Loose consist." )
    						Serial ( 4 )
    						MaxVelocity ( 29.05760 0.24623 )
    						NextWagonUID ( 12 )
    						Durability ( 1.00000 )
    						Engine (
    							UiD ( 0 )
    							EngineData ( A&M_RS1_22 AM_RS1_22 )
    						)
    						Engine (
                                                            Flip ( )
    							UiD ( 1 )
    							EngineData ( C420_46AI AM_C420_46 )
    						)
    						Wagon (
    							WagonData ( CGCX_CH_20368 AOSub_Hoppers )
    							UiD ( 2 )
    						)
    						Wagon (
    							WagonData ( KCS_CH_309569 AOSub_Hoppers )
    							UiD ( 3 )
    						)
    						Wagon (
    							WagonData ( FRISCO_CH_79767 AOSub_Hoppers )
    Works the same way in a con file.

**Despite what has been previously posted, Goku's CE (part of the TSRE package) will flip any eng or wag in either con files, or in loose consists in activity files. The built in AE will flip also.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 12-03-2017 at 05:55 PM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    None of the CEs will do that.
    Don't understand that Charles. I can do it with Conbuilder. Just create the consist and right-click on the unit to be reversed. Or am I missing something?

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by latimers View Post
    Don't understand that Charles. I can do it with Conbuilder. Just create the consist and right-click on the unit to be reversed. Or am I missing something?

Bob.
    In a consist file, yes...but not in a loose consist, which is what the OP was trying to do.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Conbuilder can create loose consists too. Here's an example:

[email protected]@@@@@@@@@JINX0D0t______

Train (
    TrainCfg ( temp
    Serial ( 1 )
    MaxVelocity ( 0.00000 0 )
    NextWagonUID ( 4 )
    Durability ( 1 )
    Wagon (
    WagonData ( $res90 res90 )
    UiD ( 1 )
    )
    Wagon (
    UiD ( 2 )
    )
    Wagon (
    UiD ( 3 )
    Flip ( )
    )
    )
    )

Quote Originally Posted by crstagg View Post
    None of the CEs will do that. An AE might. BUT the easiest way is to open the ACT file in his Unicode editor, find the loose consist, and add the parameter Flip ( ) to the correct EngineData section.

Or you can create a new loose consist, using the CE to flip whatever unit you want flipped (in Conbuilder, right click on the one unit you want to flip), save that consist (I preface my loose consists with LC, so I can easily spot and delete later since they are only temporary until placement in the act) and then when the AE is opened, delete the old loose consist, place the new one. Usually, when I'm busy placing loose consists, I'm not just placing one, or fixing one, or changing one. Procedure is to create all the loose consists before, creating a bunch of LC_ _ _ _.con files, Then go in the AE once, deleting any ones (those in an existing act I want removed or replaced), add all the new ones, save the act, and delete all the LC_ _ _ _.con files.

This way, the use of only temporary LC files does not represent a 'growing pollution' problem. It has to remain only until you place it using the AE. This is unlike using SFM to reverse shapes, where the oddball reversed locomotive just to appease one activity must remain on your system indefinitely until you no longer have that activity on your hard drive.

When it comes to opening raw ACT files, not everybody can 'go there' and come out clean.
    Last edited by geepster775; 12-03-2017 at 07:10 PM.

Note that flipping will not flip any freight animations.

You have to make reversed versions of the FAs in SFM and make a second .eng or .wag file to carry them.
    http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/80489/WWCo.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by latimers View Post

Bob.
    You can flip engines and wagons in CON files all day but that will not flip them in a loose consist that has been placed in an ACT file. Once the consist is placed in an activity the contents of the file is placed in the ACT file as it existed at the time you placed it. To edit a Loose Consist it has to be edited by editing the Activity not the CON files.
    Charles

Charles,
    I Opened the ACT File and Found the Unit I wanted to Flip. It Already has the Flip () Next to it. Does this Mean it will Appear in the Activity in the Flipped Position?
    DaveKfromUP

Quote Originally Posted by dkingsburg View Post
    Charles,
    I Opened the ACT File and Found the Unit I wanted to Flip. It Already has the Flip () Next to it. Does this Mean it will Appear in the Activity in the Flipped Position?
    DaveKfromUP
    It means that the shape as originally oriented will be flipped. BUT that may not guarantee that the cab is oriented the way you want it to be as some engine set creators included reversed engines in their sets. Particularly those creating Funit sets of A-B-B-A Funits so that the rear Aunit cab would be facing the opposite direction than the Aunit at the front. If you Flip a "reversed engine" it will be facing forward.

Your OP sounded like you had already observed the consist in the Sim and found it to be facing the wrong way. BUT if your observation of the consist was in ConBuilder's editor, remember that that representation is the display of a JPG file NOT the actual item. The JPG file does not "flip" so ConBuilder's display in the Consist Preview window will not show the engine flipped. However the icon in the editor display will show the cab flipped to the rear.
    Charles