Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need help spotting error

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Question:

Answer:

Which leaves me Attachment 73452

What don't like the experience of ....
    weather that actually changes throughout an activity?
    turntables that actually work?
    signal glow that you can see for three miles at night?
    well developed AI train logic?
    W i d e S c r e e n monitors? etcetcetcetcetcetcetcetcetcetcetcetc and et cetera [antiquated Latin, but very useful for and, the rest.]

I know procopius, with your love of antiquity you are a 1950's TV format fanatic with contrarian tastes.
    Ability to switch trains without having to phycially couple to them?
    Ability to render more complex route and trainset models?
    Ahh. to heck with it! BIN there done dat.
    I don't like TV either.

Hi Procopius,
    Well, I have installed MSTSBin 1.8.052113. What should I do? Uninstall it and try to reinstall it? The lack of the extended heads up display is not important to me

Sorry, mate, but if you don't get the write printing, you have NOT installed MSTSBin correctly! As Derek pointed out, Bin is essential as, without it, you'll keep getting "line ... " errors with your stock because so many locos use the enhanced lighting features. Yes, uninstall it, by double-clicking its Uninstall_MSTS Patch 1.8.0521 EN.exe file, then re-install it. It you don't have the uninstall file, that's another indication that you don't have Bin installed!!

The fact that Thames Trent route runs OK without the Bin patch is neither here nor there - you could come to a point later where the lack of it causes problems! Version 1.7 or 1.8 makes no appreciable difference (except, I believe, for some electric locos). Regarding New Roads v3.x /v4.x - you should follow the readme instructions - they are not created for fun, but your benefit, as the potential user.

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by Procopius View Post
    the author gives a list of 15 changes that have to be made manually, Now I'm getting train database error messages.
    Should I try modifying the folder names? Put an X in front of them?
    might be from my attempt to install the Discover America Part 3 activity in surfliner. I've been having weird problems ever since.
    What should I do? Uninstall it and try to reinstall it?
    Most of the train database errors I get now are from rolling stock the activity author forgot to include in the readme file.
    I got a missing extended shape error from the Thames-Trent route that I installed today, but that was because I had Newroads 3.x, and it needed 4.
    I did this installation after my hard drive crash.
    Meanwhile, I'm setting the problem aside and moving on to other problems.

Sounds like you are having one hell of an enjoyable MSTS experience in it's place.

The lack of the extended heads up display is not important to me -- almost all the information given is not useful to me.
    This is the same type of dismissive thinking that drove you away from the learning curve associated with Open Rails, and now, you are doing it again here with critical MSTS requirements. This "what I'm missing won't hurt me" theory of yours. Pretty soon, people who are helping here will find better things to do with their time.

I don't like TV either.
    rofl.jpg

That, I can understand.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Eh, I've been running MSTS for almost ten years now without MSTSBin installed at all and I've only ever had the occasional problem with headlight definitions in newer locomotives -- which, as I mentioned above, you can simply change to use standard MSTS values and everything runs smoothly.

Procopius, the two actual answers you've been given so far are correct: you can either install the most recent version of MSTSBin (and make sure it's installed properly), or alter the offending ENG files to use MSTS-default values. It's also true that OpenRails would likely handle these files without a problem, but presumably you wouldn't be asking this question if you were using OpenRails anyway. I say this as someone who also prefers plain old MSTS over OpenRails, Railworks, Trainz, EEP, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    Sounds like you are having one hell of an enjoyable MSTS experience in it's place.

This is the same type of dismissive thinking that drove you away from the learning curve associated with Open Rails, and now, you are doing it again here with critical MSTS requirements. This "what I'm missing won't hurt me" theory of yours. Pretty soon, people who are helping here will find better things to do with their time.
    Actually, I am having a very enjoyable MSTS experience, despite, or maybe because of, all the problems I have. Mostly I'm now able to install new routes and new activities and drive trains. I don't know much about real railroading, but I'm sure the sim experience is not realistic, which is OK for me -- I would not want to wait an hour or more for another train to clear the block before I can proceed, for example. I'm sorry if I phrased my hesitation badly. I did not mean to dismiss derek's suggestion, I was hoping for a little more clarity of how to proceed. Should I (try to) uninstall MSTSBin and then reinstall it? That seems like a scary/difficult task, and I said why I was not anxious to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi Procopius,

Sorry, mate, but if you don't get the write printing, you have NOT installed MSTSBin correctly! As Derek pointed out, Bin is essential as, without it, you'll keep getting "line ... " errors with your stock because so many locos use the enhanced lighting features. Yes, uninstall it, by double-clicking its Uninstall_MSTS Patch 1.8.0521 EN.exe file, then re-install it. It you don't have the uninstall file, that's another indication that you don't have Bin installed!!

The fact that Thames Trent route runs OK without the Bin patch is neither here nor there - you could come to a point later where the lack of it causes problems! Version 1.7 or 1.8 makes no appreciable difference (except, I believe, for some electric locos). Regarding New Roads v3.x /v4.x - you should follow the readme instructions - they are not created for fun, but your benefit, as the potential user.

Cheers,
    Ged

[/COLOR]
    OK, I followed your advice and it turned out to be easy. My anxiety was unwarranted, but I wanted some reassurance, which you gave me, that I wouldn't end up having to reinstall from scratch. I now get the white text when I press the <f5> key three times.

Actually, I am having a very enjoyable MSTS experience, .... I don't know much about real railroading, but I'm sure the sim experience is not realistic, which is OK for me...
    Just keep pluggin' away, you're doing okay. I'm light on railroad experience myself. Four going on five years a member here (and at ET), first month of so MSTS exclusively, then OR exclusively.
    Glad I started using it and gave myself time to learn it, now it's second nature and I'm used to it. Just like so many got used to MSTS since 2001 and going to OR was something of a shock.
    Now I think OR has become the norm, it certainly has eclipsed MSTS. By it's very nature of being open source, it will never be done...unless it is totally abandoned (I don't think that will happen). But it is easy to keep up with, now that I have some years of experience with it.
    I view MSTS as an entry level train simulator. (don't nobody go off the rails, I honor all the legacy MSTS content, and the talent and ingenious work that went into making it usable for all the years)
    What I do know about the forums is this:
    1. Try to teach yourself as much as you can, people don't mind helping, if they see you are trying to help yourself.
    2. When you do post a problem or question, always give all the relevant information. Members are really sick of having to go digging for the information...they got better things to do.
    3. Be prepared to engage some prickly individualists, however, from experience I know that all the members I've interacted with have good hearts and really enjoy this virtual hobby.
    4. Be prepared for some occasional griping, grousing, complaining, and general bellyaching...a tradition from model railroading when plywood layouts fell on peoples head when they were underneath repairing the wiring.

Other than that, have fun with MSTS, OR whatever.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 12-09-2017 at 01:11 AM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.