Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help spotting error

Default Need help spotting error

I'm trying to install the Innsbruck-St Anton activity in the Innsbruck route. I thought I had everything fixed -- the author gives a list of 15 changes that have to be made manually, but only about six or seven actually involve editing files. Now I'm getting train database error messages. First is a message that gives no filename, just says "Line 75." Then a message, "... SCAX-bdir-c\SCAX_dir_c_cab.eng <cr>Line 75." Same thing happens for "...SNDX_bdir_c\SNDX_bdir_c_cab.eng".

The thing is, I don't see anything wrong at line 75 in either file.

"Lights ( 3
    Light (
    comment( ILLUMINATION LIGHT )
    Type ( 1 )
    Line 75--> Conditions (
    Headlight ( 4 )
    Unit ( 2 )
    )"

Both files are the same. I had a tutorial doc on .eng and .wag files but it was lost in my hard drive crash. Would the problem be that there is more than one space between the keyword 'Type' and the parameter in parentheses? I remember it was characteristic of compilers to report errors on the line following the actual error. Sorry I can't tell you where these two engines came from. I don't remember downloading them and they weren't part of this installation. Should I try modifying the folder names? Put an X in front of them? See what that does? Well, I need to sleep on it, but any suggestions would be welcome.

ETA: Now that I think of it, they might be from my attempt to install the Discover America Part 3 activity in surfliner. I've been having weird problems ever since.

It sounds like the ENG files you are loading might require MSTS-BIN but you don't have BIN installed or it is not installed properly. Just a guess based on past experience.

Hi Procopius,
    Very often, when one gets line number errors like this, it's because the MSTSBin patch isn't installed. If that's true, the error is on line 76 - Headlight ( 4 ) isn't recognised by the default MSTS.

If you think you have installed MSTSBin, just start MSTS, go into Explore mode then press F5 three times - if you get white printing on the screen, then the Bin patch is correctly installed; if not, you haven't!!

Cheers,
    Ged

Thanks, trs666, you just beat me to it

As the others have said, this is likely an MSTSBin issue -- or, rather, a "lack of MSTSBin" issue. In the event that you can't or don't want to install MSTSBin though (for some reason), a quick fix would be to change all of the "Headlight ( 4 )" lines to "Headlight ( 2 )" and then create duplicate light definitions with "Headlight ( 3 )".

To explain, it seems that "Headlight ( 4 )" tells MSTS that a given light should be on for both the "Dim" and "Bright" headlight settings, but only if MSTSBin is installed. Therefore, I figure you can simply define the offending light twice -- once with "Headlight ( 2 )" for the dim setting and once with "Headlight ( 3 )" for the bright setting -- to achieve the same effect in a more portable way.

Why have you not gone to Open Rails?
    Cheers
    Derek

Quote Originally Posted by derekmorton View Post
    Because I don't like the experience with Open Rails.

Quote Originally Posted by 1john3 View Post
    As the others have said, this is likely an MSTSBin issue -- or, rather, a "lack of MSTSBin" issue. In the event that you can't or don't want to install MSTSBin though (for some reason), a quick fix would be to change all of the "Headlight ( 4 )" lines to "Headlight ( 2 )" and then create duplicate light definitions with "Headlight ( 3 )".

To explain, it seems that "Headlight ( 4 )" tells MSTS that a given light should be on for both the "Dim" and "Bright" headlight settings, but only if MSTSBin is installed. Therefore, I figure you can simply define the offending light twice -- once with "Headlight ( 2 )" for the dim setting and once with "Headlight ( 3 )" for the bright setting -- to achieve the same effect in a more portable way.
    Well, this looks worth trying. I have Bin 1.8 installed, but at least the F5 test does not work -- I don't get the advanced info in white text after pushing F5 three times. I think I'll try your suggestion before I delete the two engines. Meanwhile, I'm setting the problem aside and moving on to other problems.

Roger,

If you want to run MSTS, there are things that you MUST do.
    MSTSBin is one of those things, you will forever be getting errors.
    Cheers
    Derek

Roger,

If you want to run MSTS, there are things that you MUST do.
    MSTSBin is one of those things, you will forever be getting errors.
    Well, I have installed MSTSBin 1.8.052113. What should I do? Uninstall it and try to reinstall it? The lack of the extended heads up display is not important to me -- almost all the information given is not useful to me. I never use the HUD. I don't know of other ways to test if it's working or not. I don't get a lot of errors from activities that say they require MSTSBin to run, so most of its functionality must be present. Most of the train database errors I get now are from rolling stock the activity author forgot to include in the readme file. I got a missing extended shape error from the Thames-Trent route that I installed today, but that was because I had Newroads 3.x, and it needed 4. The author had even included the UKTS file number and once I installed that, bob's your uncle. Oh, his readme also says it requires MSTSBin 1.7 and it's running fine. I folowed the steps in the tutorial at steam4me, including installing MSTSBin when I did this installation after my hard drive crash.

Question:
    Answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by Procopius View Post
    Because I don't like the experience with Open Rails.
    Which leaves me headscratch.jpg

What don't like the experience of ....
    weather that actually changes throughout an activity?
    turntables that actually work?
    signal glow that you can see for three miles at night?
    well developed AI train logic?
    W i d e S c r e e n monitors? etcetcetcetcetcetcetcetcetcetcetcetc and et cetera [antiquated Latin, but very useful for and, the rest.]

I know procopius, with your love of antiquity you are a 1950's TV format fanatic with contrarian tastes.
    Ability to switch trains without having to phycially couple to them?
    Ability to render more complex route and trainset models?
    Ahh. to heck with it! BIN there done dat.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 12-07-2017 at 02:41 AM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.