Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your Current Hardware Specs For Run8

Default Your Current Hardware Specs For Run8

I am curious as to what everyone uses to operate Run8 in terms of their system specs, hardware and plans, if any, for upgrade. Maybe a note or two about why you like or dislike your current set-up.

Presently I am running on an older X58 Mobo (7 years old), 6 megs of ram with an I7 950 (Bloomfield) CPU. My GFX card is a 4 mb GTX 960. I average 30-40 FPS with medium traffic and semi-busy yards. My sound is a retired Bose (surround) under the desk. I use keyboard and mouse for UI.

I use two 29 inch monitors side by side. One is 4K (2560x1440) for cab view and the other (on the left) is older one (1920x1080) for dispatch screen. I have no problem running locals or mains while dispatching (External DS V11) in SP with this set up. The extra dedicated screen for DS makes all the difference.

So far I like the set-up I have although I think I could improve it with a new MoBo, CPU and GFX GPU upgrade. I can`t afford the latest and greatest hardware but tend to plot out a practical upgrade path as I go.

I am thinking of a new build for next year. The more raw CPU cycles the better.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ezra; 12-06-2017 at 04:53 PM.

See below. I could use an upgraded video card to help with frame rates at times but everything else runs great. Also, I don't have a solid state hard drive and that would help with loading things faster but it's not a deal breaker.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra View Post
    I am curious as to what everyone uses to operate Run8 in terms of their system specs, hardware and plans,....
    My specs are in my signature but I am planning an upgrade to a 486DX and an extra 4Mb of RAM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    My specs are in my signature but I am planning an upgrade to a 486DX and an extra 4Mb of RAM.
    DOS 6.2 lol

Quote Originally Posted by TurboBlower View Post
    DOS 6.2 lol
    Oh yes...I forgot about that.

Those specs are for the very first PC I ever owned....about 1988.
    Before that it was Commodore 64 and then Amiga stuff, which I used in parallel with the PC.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I'll have to get my old pc out, I wonder if it would start today??

The original IBM clone...Olivetti M28.
    Cost nearly as much as a house when I bought it.

I'm currently using an I7 3770 and Asus R9 290X 4GB and run everything on maximum, draw distance of 8000m and 13,000 units won't stop it.
    Will be upgrading to Ryzen soon, I've had enough of intel and their next to nothing upgrades for mega bucks.

Intel Core i7 7700HQ @ 2.80GHz
    Kaby Lake
    16GBRam
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 107
    1 512 Samsung 512GB 960 Pro SSD (Boot)
    1 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
    Jason Webb
    HyRail Simulations
    http://www.hyrailsimulations.net

My first pc Commodore 64. Programming that was lots of fun.

BTW I've been on 2 computers now on this forum and the Reply to Thread button seems off to me. I don't read general here, so wondering if anyone else has started having that issue.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    ....BTW I've been on 2 computers now on this forum and the Reply to Thread button seems off to me. I don't read general here, so wondering if anyone else has started having that issue.
    It's not inactive, Sean, but it now has a very narrow "window" in which the pointing finger symbol appears.
    On my display it is along the top and bottom edges of the Reply to Thread button....about 2 pixels wide. The area in the middle is dead.

There is also a little spot at the left, near the '+' symbol.

Yeah I should of been more clear, I found that too. Not sure how you would reply otherwise Oh never used the reply or reply with quote buttons to the right

Thanks

Sean