Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: .dds texture viewing questions

Default .dds texture viewing questions

Hello,
    I admit I know next to nothing about these files other than that they are more and more being used for OR train releases.
    I use XnView to view the textures, but wanted to understand - do these .dds textures have alpha channels, and if so, how do I know they do?
    Also, what is the best way to view the shapes that have .dds textures to see how my engine or wagon looks?

Thanks very much,
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

I use paint.net, and while I have yet to try it, it can view .dds textures directly, without modification. As to viewing them on a model, I don't know, since that's out of Shape Viewer's league

Does goku's CE view dds textures?
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Yes. You can use TSRE to view .dds and OR freightanims.

Quote Originally Posted by GokuMK View Post
    Yes. You can use TSRE to view .dds and OR freightanims.
    I only recently downloaded TSRE and will spend some time learning how it works during my holidays Goku, but does it have the facility to take thumbnail shots like RR, and if not, will you add that feature at some point in time?
    Cheers!
    Pete

i use a free program called DXTBmp its just like TGA tools in its operation where you open the DDS file and can send to your chosen drawing program, it also shows the alpha layers just like TGA tools as well

you can find it here http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm

link for download at bottom of the page, i can highly recomend it

Intel i5 2400, Mobo ASUS P8H67, Win 7 Prof 64bit, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX960 4GB, SB Audigy, 3.25TB HDD's.

Thanks Bernard, and the rest

Old habits...I am so used to clicking shape files to view my new engines/wags, that this .dds file stuff took the wind out of my sails when I received my recent Trainsimulations NS packs
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ossie View Post
    but does it have the facility to take thumbnail shots like RR, and if not, will you add that feature at some point in time?
    If you want to "shot" image of the rolling stock to clipboard, or disk, you can.
    If you are thinking about msts thumbnails used by MSTS AE, or other old MSTS tools then - no. TSRE will never allow for that, because TSRE uses realtime 3D preview - no need for ugly thumbnails, and no need to use old tools for MSTS, because you can use TSRE instead.

Using MSTS_Check v1.2 (msts_check.zip - Ged Saunders ) with TSRE CE will also provide many of the missing file tests provided by other consist utilities. Not as convenient, but very workable.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

TSRE CE has some tests for missing files.
    If there is need for more, I can add new functions, but no one requested it.
    ... oh, crstagg requested for more, but he didn't specifed what he wants.