Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gp40-2?

...errr just did a search in the library "GP40-2" and got 79 "hits"
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by tbundy1982 View Post
    Nice repaints! At one time, I had attempted to use the KLW GP40-2 as a stand-in for the IC GP40R, but the anti-cliimber on the front of the B&M unit was a deal-breaker.

Tyler
    Tyler, you know I have ways of the force in TSM, that's how I've done all my Pan Am repaints on the KLW model.
    http://i.imgur.com/wcbfygM.png
    Conductor/Engineer at Vermont Rail System

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    ...errr just did a search in the library "GP40-2" and got 79 "hits"
    Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

Just rechecked and there's STILL 79 hits! What am I missing in this thread?

Here's the first hit and a massive pack too.... earlycsx_emd4axleset2.zip
    Last edited by lateagain; 12-25-2017 at 03:07 AM.
    Geoff
    UK

I think what people are saying is, there are a lot of railroads with the GP40-2 series, heck even the original non dash 2 series of the GP40's. However I guess because it isn't from SLI/TS they aren't interested in the repaints or whatever?

I mean, personally I found the KLW model from Kurt was a fine fit for a lot of the GP40/-2 series I did, for Pan Am Railways/Guilford. I even worked with Kurt on some of the fine details and he was able to make the alpha parts as needed, such as the "orange" beacon that is on some of the former CR GP40's of Guilford/Pan Am, while others are not.
    Max Brisben did a set of Vermont Railway/Green Mountain GP40-2's and GP40's. Of which I do have, and have made the 301, 302, 304, and 305 into their current GMTX units.

However, there are a ton of railroads that still to this day use the GP40/40-2 series. CSXT, CPRS, NS, for the class ones, but there are also a ton of them floating around on the lease side of things such as LTEX, GMTX, LLPX, and even the "shortlines" such as New England Central/Buffalo & Pittsburg, etc. I think that is what a lot of folks are wanting and feel are missing.

I mean, this helps and I think is what people are trying to get at. We have tons of love for the GP38-2, SD40-2 families, but we always lacked that of the GP40-2 family.
    http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?mid=6

If I may,
    In retrospect, I could have been clearer in my original request in order to avoid this confusion.
    I posted without realizing at the time that SLI's Green River had a GP40-2 shape, which is the most recent and up-to-date type shape, with ditch lights, round wheels and nice detail. About the only thing missing are the safety chains on the front and back porch handrails.
    No knock on other creators efforts. Also, I much prefer a model with round wheels. I've converted 99% of my stock, and don't wish to add anything new without them. I simply don't look back once I've moved forward. Read this: My preference, my choice. Not preaching it's the only way, or that anyone else must feel the same way. Enjoy what you enjoy, that's all that matters.
    Now, that said - Shawn hit it spot on. Would love to see some leased units on this model!
    Last edited by qballbandit; 12-25-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    If I may,
    In retrospect, I could have been clearer in my original request in order to avoid this confusion. Would love to see some leased units on this model!
    Ahhhh! Gottcha! Comprende etc.
    Geoff
    UK

Neil,
    I thought of using that model for repaints, until I later realized it's doesn't fit the agenda without heavy modifications. So I scrapped the idea. Honestly most of what I look for in a model is, if the model fits close to detail of the road I'm looking at painting. Example, When I originally did the Maine Central GP38 set, I just started painting, later realizing, crap, these units had dual clasp brake shoes on the trucks, versus the single clasp shoes that I was original using as the base model. So from there I had to convert the paint over to the other model. Thankfully both from the same SLI package.

This later became a problem of mine, as most paints I do, are in need of dual clasp versus single. Then from there it's the other details such as doors, whether it's modeled as a non dash model, or a dash 2, or even 3. etc etc. Sadly the Green River model, doesn't fit any of the standards I've been looking for, and that alone is why I never bothered with it. Me being picky? perhaps, but now that I work for the railroad itself, sadly it has me looking into details even more, and now I'm never happy with my work.

Mainly why I started working with my fictionals more, the WMRC and KERC, because I can use whatever model I desire and not care if it's accurate or not, because it's a fictional. haha.

I can release the GMTX units I did of the GP40's if you are interested Neil, they are of the KLW model, or I can just send them to you. So far I have 3008(ex GMRC) and 3010(ex VTR).

I get what you are saying. Unless I spent time doing homework on the uniqueness of each roads version of a model, I'd never knows the differences, so don't know what I am missing. I can respect your need for detail when creating your stuff - that's the way it should be.
    Thanks for the offer on the GP40's, but I'm looking for dash 2's, specifically. That detail I do know
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    I get what you are saying. Unless I spent time doing homework on the uniqueness of each roads version of a model, I'd never knows the differences, so don't know what I am missing. I can respect your need for detail when creating your stuff - that's the way it should be.
    Thanks for the offer on the GP40's, but I'm looking for dash 2's, specifically. That detail I do know

Well, for the record, GMTX I believe will be taking some and turning them into "slug" units to tag a long with a "mother" unit. Alas, one of them is sitting and rotting away, which is whatever, GP40's are not that good compared to their -2 counterparts, unless of course they got upgraded to a -3, then it's really a hit or miss situation.

Sadly I haven't seen many lease units in my time that are -2's for the GP40 series. Though I guess you could count the MEC GP40-2W units, now that they are starting to be part of the GMTX family rather than Pan Am Railways family. I'll poke around and see what I can find.
    Though, changing the GP40 to a GP40-2 on the KLW model is as easy as a few paint details. It's mainly inside the cab that shows the big different on the back electrical panel.

Neil & Shawn I am interested in filling so GP 40 void space we have so email me with what we could use and I can see what i can work on to start filling the gaps.

Tyler a very Basic GP 40 would be great I know the C&O B&O had some basic units and it would be a change as we have enough newer up to date units with ditch lights and such and some want classic units I am not good at doing FA and I have my own GP 38's I can't even edit or know how to.