Thread: WHAT ever happened to the Sherman hill route?

Default WHAT ever happened to the Sherman hill route?

Just curious if this route was ever finished? I payed for the un-finished version almost two years ago and got tired of trying to keep track of updates. Was told (back then) all who payed for it would get a copy of the final route.

Hi trainman_47,
    As the last update was dated 11 November 2017, I'm sure now isn't time to start complaining! I don't know how near to completion it is, but any decent route can take years!! It is still for sale on the website, so please give Marc some breathing space; I'm sure he'll keep us updated if there are any problems.

Cheers,
    Ged

Quote Originally Posted by slipperman View Post
    Hi trainman_47,
    As the last update was dated 11 November 2017, I'm sure now isn't time to start complaining! I don't know how near to completion it is, but any decent route can take years!! It is still for sale on the website, so please give Marc some breathing space; I'm sure he'll keep us updated if there are any problems.

Cheers,
    Ged
    To put this into perspective the route project I was a VERY small part of in the UK took the Author 6 YEARS of constant work. That was with a team of beta testers checking each update for errors in signalling, paths, scenery issues etc.etc.etc.

Feather River was a long time coming ....but what an excellent route?

Patience IS required, hostility to questions is NOT helpful. The updates are all posted. Those who can't wait can be "RIGHT THERE"? ...those who want a finished route need patience?

ASK YOURSELF THIS ONE SIMPLE QUESTION .....WHO ELSE IS WORKING ON A PAYWARE ROUTE FOR MSTS/OR? ......ANYWHERE?

You might also ask who else has published a payware route for MSTS that comes within miles of the detail of Feather River?

Here in the UK ALL MSTS/OR Payware is dead ...defunct ...gone ...never to return? Your side of the pond there are still folk providing a lot of high quality add-ons for these old Sims.

Face it we're a small hobby section of the Rail Sim Hobby now. The Payware scene has moved on to DTG's, Run 8 and the likes of World of Subways. There's great freeware still being produced, especially routes (....with the exception of those churning out "so-called" routes every third month) and the ability to contribute rather than just consume is greater in this area of the hobby than anywhere else.

Waiting two years for ONE specific route seems like some folk are missing out a a whole heap of brilliant stuff????
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Quite how asking a civil question becomes "opening a can of worms here" is FRANKLY baffling FRANK
    When there is a forum dedicated to support of this route asking the question HERE rather that at the route's forum is the "opening a can of worms". Why post the question in this more public forum instead of the route's support forum or ask by email to the author unless the OP's objective was to embarrass the route author?
    Charles

Let's see in the period 2016 to present we've seen the release of following routes:
    Cripple Creek (NG)
    Buffalo Beta 2 with templates
    Conn River with templates ( + an update and a complete trainset from BLW_ZT)
    Surfliner 2.2
    Death Valley Railroad (NG)
    Claremont and Concord Railroad
    Cima Sub
    New York State Railroads Public Beta 1 (unfinished)
    Milwaukee Road, Coast Division
    Colorado Midland/C&S South Park (Std gauge & NG)
    Black Canyon addition to CM/C&S
    ATSF Emporia Sub ( re-release, in case anyone missed it 1st time 'round at MopHouse)
    Pacific Electric Southern District (beta with updates)
    Fantasii (fictional)
    RMD West
    Wellsville, Addison and Galeton RR
    Whitefish 10_X
    Black Canyon NG Line v2
    North Coast Railroad Route v3.2 Update
    Mountain City Railway (fictional)

Two of note still being worked on-----
    Sherman Hill (has some activities I tested for a payware provider)
    Vince is working on updating the mammoth PRR using TSRE (threads can be found, vince posts frequently) "tip-of-the-hat", sir.

Plus a whole TON of IR routes, acts, rolling stock... shout out to that community temper the enthusiasm with complete, better written instructions and ReadMe's please. Thank you gentlemen.

Looks like something for everyone. As has been mentioned, route building is a hard won craft, involving almost all aspects of virtual train simming. Couple that to the buggy horror show called MSTS-RE and it's a true wonder anything got built at all. A testament to those Route Creators for their patience, persistence, talent, and ingeniousness, ingenuosity? (whatever).
    Now with the new TSRE being learned by those some of those same folks and new people, there's a small probability that new routes will be produced.

To the OP - beside thinking about how you are affected by the supposedly indeterminate state of Sherman Hill. Try thinking about it from the route creator's perspective. He has put his well deserved reputation on the line. He's been around a while, so he knows how people can behave in the forum. Yet he is willing to move ahead.
    Note- you made a choice, (based on what reasoning, I don't know) to either wait and pay when released, or pay now and get access to updates when made available, live with it.

It's an open forum (with respect to the rules) so post what you want, better to think twice or thrice before doing so and being perceived by others as an ungracious knothead.

Frank's earned the right, in my book.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 12-16-2017 at 06:28 PM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Well said Gerry, but I was thinking of a different word than "knot".
    Charles

Since a few people have lost the spirit of the season, this discussion is over... Please visit the route update page on Marc's forum.
    Packerland Dev Release 2013-06 now available on Dropbox -- PM me for access...