Thread: Loading Tracks into TSRE

Default Loading Tracks into TSRE

Hello all. I'm trying to use the berm tracks used in the Monon route in a route that I'm working on, but I can't seem to locate the track files in the TSRE menus. Anybody have any ideas on how to get tracks from one route loaded into another? I really like this embankment effect. As information, I do not have access to a copy of the original MSTS CDs, so I'm limited to editing in TSRE rather than the original RE if that makes any difference.

Jon Clark - Butler, Pa

It looks like the embankments are independent of the track. If I had to guess, I would say those are Norbert Rieger's embankment pieces, but with custom textures. If that is the case, the shape should have an NREmb_ or similar prefix. It would be a matter of copying the shapes and textures into your route, and modding the .ref file to fit

USTracks are drop in replacements for Xtracks, which means you have to place the original tracks using the usual Xtracks pieces and then mass-change W files to get the DB/US shapes to display in-game. It is not a separate track system, just a bunch of replacement shapes for Xtracks.

Also be careful with the bermed pieces on curves, as of now they do not display when superelevation is turned on in OR.

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    It looks like the embankments are independent of the track. If I had to guess, I would say those are Norbert Rieger's embankment pieces, but with custom textures. If that is the case, the shape should have an NREmb_ or similar prefix. It would be a matter of copying the shapes and textures into your route, and modding the .ref file to fit
    Some of the embankments in the route are independent and some are not. The ones in my screen shot are part of the track shapes. But I will look that up, you are correct because their title prefixes for the shapes are “NR_Emb”.

I appologize because I’m very new to route building, but is there an easy way to add in those shapes to the route’s ref file beyond individually typing in each shape you want to use? Perhaps there is a route riter feature to accomplish this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Clark - Butler, Pa

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    USTracks are drop in replacements for Xtracks, which means you have to place the original tracks using the usual Xtracks pieces and then mass-change W files to get the DB/US shapes to display in-game. It is not a separate track system, just a bunch of replacement shapes for Xtracks.

Also be careful with the bermed pieces on curves, as of now they do not display when superelevation is turned on in OR.
    Alright, thanks. I need to look into how to use Xtracks. I’ve installed it previously as a requirement to run routes, but I know nothing really beyond that. What are W files? This is all really good info fellas thanks again for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jon Clark - Butler, Pa

Jon,

Odds are they're still in the original route's .ref file. If, not, the original download might be here, but is definitely at http://thetrain.de and http://dbtracks.com under the name NR_Bahntrasse_1. Ref entries will be in there, along with a ton of useful stuff

EDIT: If you're new to route-building, I also recommend checking out the route building guides at steam4me, and downloading Michael Vone's route building guide, available here. It never hurts to know your adversary
    Last edited by ebnertra000; 01-05-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Berms can be frustrating... I wound up building a .Net application to install berms automatically under my track sections, and spent hundreds of hours in Sketchup building berms to match every Scalerail piece used in my routes.

In the end, it was worth it for the overall appearance, but I had to invest a lot of time to make it happen.

I would recommend that you get a copy of the ConText editor and use that. If there is a .ref file entry for an item, just
    highlight it an copy it {ctrl+C}. Then open the new .ref file and paste in the new entry {ctrl+V}. Be sure that each entry
    you make has balanced () otherwise the .ref file won't be read in, even if the entry is the last one in the file. I try not to
    enter more than 5 or 6 items at a time just in case I have to hunt for an error.

landnrailroader