Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3D Berms Available

Default 3D Berms Available

I've just published a set of 3D berms for use with WorldFileHacker. These are the same that I've showcased in my IRM, UP Gila, and other routes, but this is the first time I've made the entire set available for download.

Because of the amount of work involved in creating the 300+ shapes, I'm only offering these thru my webstore.

As with all of the other items for sale, all proceeds go towards rail preservation projects at the Illinois Railway Museum.

DigitalRails.com Webstore
    Last edited by eolesen; 01-07-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Any links to screenshots?

In use on the UP Gila:

In use on the IRM:

On the CNW Chicago:

Last edited by eolesen; 01-07-2018 at 10:01 PM.

A few more...
    IRM:

CNW Chicago:

Looks very interesting and will be an auto-purchase based on your response to the query below.

It would appear that you've set this up for use with ScaleRail shapes. So I'm assuming that those references are already set up in the WorldFileHacker database (a text or cvf file?) If so, are the references in WorldFileHacker already set up for Xtracks and the default Kuju shapes as well, or is this something that the user must do himself?

Cheers,

David

No guarantees on how it would look with XTracks or default Kuju sections, as these are meant to float below the Scalerail profile. WFH can float it higher/lower based on an input parameter, but I can't say whether the width of the textures used for track shapes is wider than the cut on the berm.

From experience with conversions to Scalerail, I know there will be some shapes missing e.g. the 750D curves.
    Last edited by eolesen; 01-08-2018 at 02:36 PM.

There are over 400 shapes without Scalerail equals, thus they wouldn't be mapped in the included Bermplace file with the berms.

About 150 of those are bridge & tunnels sections, A7t to A10t sections, many of which probably aren't going to need berms.

Another 100 or so look to be straight sections with odd values that could be mapped to the next nearest meter with a little effort. Likewise for many of the pnt sections.

The biggest gaps are xovers and the following curve diameters: 164,190,300,375,750,4000,6000

Those would require new berms to be created, and that's not an insignificant undertaking.

XTracks without Scalerail Sections
    Packerland Dev Release 2013-06 now available on Dropbox -- PM me for access...

Eric,

I've already used Norbert's berms on a few routes; below are some screenies from Frank Thomas' NewUSA1 route that I converted. The main problem here is that Norbert, unfortunately and tragically, never got around to creating turnout and crossover shapes, as his life was cut short by cancer.

But in multitrack areas the berms become so wide that only on the edges do you see that turnouts don't have berms underneath them. And there are so many ScaleRail shapes that do have Xtracks equivalents that it just might be worth a go with your berms. The use of berms so enhances a route that once you try it it is very hard to go back to the flat ballast of default MSTS ...

Cheers,

David

One more question: I'm presuming that the berms can be skinned with any ace file you want; in other words you aren't limited by the gray textures seen in your shots?

Thanks,

David