Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to find the Soo Line route

Default Where to find the Soo Line route

Well, I thought I had gotten pretty good at using the File Library search engine, but this one beat me. Browsing through old theads, I found mention of "Dr Ian Allen's SOO route v 1.1." I also saw a reference to "the Soo Line." It seems it was an interesting line, because there are 89 rolling stock files in Soo Line livery, but when I search Routes all I get are files for the Chippewa Valley Railroad, which remark that the Soo Line also used to operate in that area. Did Dr. Allen withdraw the route from the library? I really shouldn't be spending time on it because I've got a bunch of interesting-looking routes and have found more activities for even the default routes. Main reason I'm interested is because when I was in high school I took a trip with a friend to Sault (pronounced Soo) St. Marie, in Michigan and that's a beautiful area.

The only Soo Line route in the file library by Ian Allen I came across is for Railworks. I found it by typing in "Soo Line" and all file sections when I did my search. Found it on page 2. The search engine can be a quirky gizmo sometimes!!!

I might give this route a try providing it'll run on TS2018.

Yes Dr Allen did pull his route. It was over at Morphouse. FYI: That route is based in primarily in Iowa, along the Mississippi River near Minnesota border. It was actually an old Milwaukee Road route, that came under Soo control, when they bought what was left of the Milwaukee Road. So it has nothing to do with Sault St Marie, or the UP of Michigan. ( I know, because I am a former Yooper, that grew-up right along the Main Line of the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic - DSS&A .) The best bet is the Lake Superior & Ishpeming - LS&I. Hope this Helps...

Quote Originally Posted by opskeeper View Post
    Yes Dr Allen did pull his route. It was over at Morphouse. FYI: That route is based in primarily in Iowa, along the Mississippi River near Minnesota border. It was actually an old Milwaukee Road route, that came under Soo control, when they bought what was left of the Milwaukee Road. So it has nothing to do with Sault St Marie, or the UP of Michigan. ( I know, because I am a former Yooper, that grew-up right along the Main Line of the Duluth, South Shore & Atlantic - DSS&A .) The best bet is the Lake Superior & Ishpeming - LS&I. Hope this Helps...
    Oh, yeah, that's great. We moved to a suburb of Detroit when I was 12, and I like Michigan except for the snow. And ice. And slush. And freezing rain. And ... well, anyway, I'm really interested to find out there's a route up there. Thanks a lot. Wish the Soo Line was available, though. My grandparents lived in Iowa.

The route was pulled at the AUTHOR's request...any public posting of it will be subject to Dr. Allen's permission and LEGAL entanglements.
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

Quote Originally Posted by frankoburns View Post
    The route was pulled at the AUTHOR's request...any public posting of it will be subject to Dr. Allen's permission and LEGAL entanglements.
    Frank, from my post #10 in this thread >>>https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...oo#post1926267

I have the SOO route ( I really like the route, very nice little gem, however, my only critique is Dr. Allen laid track like a drunken sailor on a roller coaster ride - (this is not a disparaging remark, the route can be a little bit of a roller coaster ride...but's it a charming gem!))
    I looked in the docs folder and there is a folder entitled "Permission" with the following README_FIRST.txt

THE SOO LINE v1.1

All objects placed in this route were NOT created by me.

You will need Scale rail, and scale road to run this route.

I would like to thank the creators of the freeware Cajon Pass, MONON-2,Chicagoland, Conrail indy and the fine people who uploaded their objects at train-sim.com
    their hard earned efforts in making great objects for placement made this route successful thank you. Once again I only placed objects they've created into my route.

This route is a stand alone and has been demexed, and mosaiced. It is highly accurate and detailed (NOT intended for lower end systems), as far as track placement, towns and such are concerned
    THIS ROUTE IS SUMMER ONLY!! until i can figure out how to make my mosaic tiles snow ready!!

I hope you enjoy this route as much as I do!!! Let me know what you think about it in the mophouse SOO thread.

There will be only 1 update from me in the near future with seasonal textures. Unless someone knows how, if thats the case they have my permission to update this route.
    ANYONE ELSE WHO WANTS TO EXPAND THIS ROUTE HAS MY PERMISSION, just make sure its scale rail and road please. I left a maker file in so that you can finnish the IAIS sub leaving davenport. 2 miles worth

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR SYSTEM IF IT BREAKS DOWN!!

Thank You,

Dr. Ian Allen
    My reading is this:
    Dr. Allen does not explicitly prevent anyone from uploading this route, nor does he give explicit permission, however, he does give explicit permission to update or expand the route.

Can someone update the route using TSRE, and release it again? I believe so -- of course with all credit to Dr. Allen.
    IMO since Dr. Allen does not explicitly deny permission to upload the route and gives permission to anyone to update or expand the route, he was, in effect, giving permission to share the route, or upload it to a library.

So Frank...what's the verdict???
    Last edited by R. Steele; 01-09-2018 at 03:04 PM. Reason: clarification
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

The readme was written PRIOR to the route being pulled. I agree, Gerry, that its a gem. I doubt since Dr. Allen has published his Railworks version, that he cares who uploads the route. Just beware of where you get it...One such site currently posting it is a BLATANT pirate site and that individual also has payware posted publicly...tells you something about his peanut sized intellect. I will check with "Doc" Allen and see if he minds if I post it publicly..if he says ok, I'll consider putting it on my server for download.
    I'm like an old SD9; It Growls, Howls & squeaks...but it will run forever!

The readme was written PRIOR to the route being pulled. I agree, Gerry, that its a gem. I doubt since Dr. Allen has published his Railworks version, that he cares who uploads the route. Just beware of where you get it...One such site currently posting it is a BLATANT pirate site and that individual also has payware posted publicly...tells you something about his peanut sized intellect. I will check with "Doc" Allen and see if he minds if I post it publicly..if he says ok, I'll consider putting it on my server for download.
    Frank, Thank you for the reply.
    Somehow, I got the notion in my head that Dr. Allen had passed away some years ago??
    I got my copy from dear departed Mophouse, so I know it is good.
    Best Regards, Gerry
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

The readme was written PRIOR to the route being pulled
    It's hard to re-stuff the pillow, so to speak, once you put something out as freeware.

Is it a "noteable" route?

By that I mean what are it's specifications ala Route Specification Forum?

Is there full scenery with good depth?

Where dos it start and end?

How era specific is it?

etc. etc. etc.

Anyone who has it care to upload some screenshots?

Not doubting anything here but there is a tendency in this community to become (dare I say....) obsessed with content that, for whatever reason, is no longer available ....regardless of quality

P.S. ....I assume that the answer to my question on start and end points is the same as the Railwork's version?
    Last edited by lateagain; 01-11-2018 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Additional
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK