Thread: Automatic refueling

Default Automatic refueling

As I play strictly single player I like to play little games with myself, such as running a section of track in the quickest possible time - sticking to the rules. Another little game of mine is fuel consumption which you can play around with a bit using dpu's.

However when I save the game and exit I might have say 20% left. Come back to that save and my fuel level is automagically 95%.

Not once have I genuinely needed to refuel in this game.

Ideally I would like to be able set my own fuel levels in a perfect world. That way I could purposely under-fill for the trip and need to play some tricks to get home.

This automagic refuelling is getting on my goat though.
    Last edited by Aussie_FX; 01-20-2018 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Too many drugs....

I couldn't come up with any predictable results on this one. I found that I would get the same fuel levels after exiting the sim, but they would be completely random if I were to delete and respawn a train without exiting the sim. The only thing I can suggest is trying to hit F2 to open the Host/Client server menu and under the Host tab, select manual loco servicing and see if that helps. That should prevent any refueling outside of the fuel racks even in single player. Hopefully, John G. will see this thread and maybe incorporate something into the sim that allows you to control / adjust fuel levels for just such challenges.
    Doug B.
    Eugene, Oregon, USA - Pacific Standard Time ( - 8:00 UTC )
    3.4 ghz Intel i7-3770 quad core processor, 8 gigs RAM, 2 gig AMD Radeon HD 7850

Quote Originally Posted by dab1068 View Post
    I couldn't come up with any predictable results on this one. I found that I would get the same fuel levels after exiting the sim, but they would be completely random if I were to delete and respawn a train without exiting the sim. The only thing I can suggest is trying to hit F2 to open the Host/Client server menu and under the Host tab, select manual loco servicing and see if that helps. That should prevent any refueling outside of the fuel racks even in single player. Hopefully, John G. will see this thread and maybe incorporate something into the sim that allows you to control / adjust fuel levels for just such challenges.
    The only problem with manual refueling, is that I found that apparently Selkirk/Mohawk does not have any points set for manual refueling. I think that part of the issue is that when you save a world, shut down Run8 and reload the same world later, that all of the trains are automatically spawned at the same place they were when the world was saved. That's why you have to restart the locomotives, etc. I get around that by running keeping Run8 going continuously on a server. When I reconnect the server, locomotives that were left running are still running, as well as fuel being conserved.

It might not be a bad idea to ask this question directly to the developers at [email protected]. If you do, please report the answer back to us!

Thanks for the replies fellas.

So I'm not alone.

Weird thing is, you can save and save with a decent amount of fuel and it will come back with the correct amount every time.
    However get down to something around 1000 gallons save and you will automagically have a ton of fuel next time.

I tried the pause trick and it got down to 500 gallons and I woke the computer one day and it threw a hissy fit and would run at 10fps.
    Just my luck....restat! - full tanks! haha.

Anyone ever run a loco dry? Do they go offline?

I should email John, we seem to get along pretty well and talk about things not train related.
    If someone else has then I won't bother him.

Yes, you can run out of fuel, and the prime mover will die.