Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: New Train Simulator aimed at good physics and graphics!Help needed!

Hello,

We got an update, the begin post is now wrong, we are going through a major change, we will no longer be using Unreal Engine as it is incapable for what we want to achieve, as unfortunately, Unreal Engine is too much aimed at FPS games.
    It is missing a lot of features we need, and also doesn't give us much control on everything that is not what Unreal is made for.(Non-FPS games)
    So we decided to Build our own engine.
    This allows us to fully control everything that is going on in the game, and will also result in better performance.
    There will be full support for PBR for content creators, and we will make an easy to use tool for converting your models to formats that our Sim can handle.(Meaning you can use any modelling tool you want, as long as it exports to FBX)
    This goes for everything from vegetation to Trains to Buildings.
    There will also be an route editor, allowing to create routes and the landscape around it.
    We hope people won't be scared away by the fact that we are not using Unreal Engine anymore.

Also we finally got a good understanding of the physics of a train, and we are able to have a train driving realistically.
    We are unsure about an release date as of now.
    and when the game itself is finished, we will need some content creators.
    BUT we are sure that will all work out when really got something to show.
    So we are finally getting somewhere!

Thanks all for your interest!

Have a good day!

I may be interested. I have to catch up on what you and others are doing.

Unreal I also looked into and for having editable worlds it just doesn't work for me either.

I haven't launched my own project as of yet. For me personally I have nothing to offer when it comes to graphics, or route building, but willing to learn.

My goals are first to do something other sims are not capable of doing to my own standards. RTS was a concept long before I latched on to a particular sim. Already programmed car forwarding software in Just Basic. But that software relied on a simulator and is now obsolete.

Anyways best of luck in your project regardless. I need to decompress for a little bit before jumping into anything, but like I said might be interested.

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    I may be interested. I have to catch up on what you and others are doing.

Unreal I also looked into and for having editable worlds it just doesn't work for me either.

I haven't launched my own project as of yet. For me personally I have nothing to offer when it comes to graphics, or route building, but willing to learn.

My goals are first to do something other sims are not capable of doing to my own standards. RTS was a concept long before I latched on to a particular sim. Already programmed car forwarding software in Just Basic. But that software relied on a simulator and is now obsolete.

Anyways best of luck in your project regardless. I need to decompress for a little bit before jumping into anything, but like I said might be interested.

Thanks

Sean
    Hi, if I am right, you were looking into creating a train sim too?

Unreal is indeed nice for pre-designed fps like games.
    But it is far from ideal for creating a Train Simulator.

I've already programmed a car forwarding system that uses waybills vs randomly picking industry tags for Run8. V2 came in with quite a bit of potential and has been lots of fun. But RTS was never developed further because running it within V2 though possible would require too much manual intervention (defeating the purpose of the built in AI spawning currently in Run8). Last night I ran what could be my very last Run8 session (depending on what they do with their program down the road).

Since V2 came out, we got AI trains which on their own run just fine following signals etc. The auto tagging though nice doesn't rely on probability or waybills and simply spits out tags at will even if set to blocked. As for the AI spawning well it does rely on at least probability, however those values are never really used because of issues with their random number generator calling. Basically the numbers are not seeded, and I've seen this issue come up even with RTS. For example 200 trains are available in the system and the same train gets called twice in a row, and I've even seen 3 times with a bigger pool. Last night was possibly the final straw for me when a train for SDG got called twice in a row, and I forget the other one I seen. For the most part I don't worry too much about the repeated symbols, however when it involves a unique train, it can drastically change the traffic pattern. In places like a yard such as Hobart cars are being tagged with a dominant string of tags over 24 hours producing 3 trains to the same location where others that also have daily service get little to none.

You said you don't want a simulator that repeats the same mistakes. That's good to know because I don't want to operate under those conditions again, even after 6 years of watching this sim grow and prosper. For me that is now in the past now. I'll always see what is new and coming out to see if these things get fixed, but I doubt it ever will at least not to my satisfaction. So now I'm looking forward.

Things on the plate for me that I never got to try was an external dispatcher, and AI dispatching. I'm also interested in AI switching. RTS itself will embrace that new direction by focusing on the data and logic that made RTS Beta special. I won't focus on what I'm not good at (that is graphics). My goal is to eventually have a stream of income, though I want to eventually test this on either an engine or simulation that I develop that is data driven. As much as I know how to code, I'm not that much into coding.

So I'm interested in what you come up with on the simulator side. As much as I love the physics of a Run8 it never had to be perfect for me just enough to convince me. It's the logistics and car forwarding that has disappointed me because it's no where close to reaching it's full potential. Running a server 2 nights a week is time I could spend on something better if I find the drive. If what I have interests your project I'd be more than happy to discuss further. Regardless, I'll be developing my end very soon.

Thanks

Sean

Best of luck. Hope you don't quit this one too.

Why don't you leave a genuine reply and show the mods what you had to say about me about winning bets on my YouTube video. What exactly have you given us Camel anyways? Your not interested in my luck, and bet on me to fail.

Thanks

Sean

Fine then I won't write in the third person. After watching you quit Barstow, quit Selkirk, quit The A-Line, quit Waycross, get diverted from Mojave to L.A. only to quit again. I didn't bet on you to fail. I only bet on when you would quit. I said it would probably only be a month before you'd quit L.A. Well, I'm happy to say that I won the bet. I'm sure that if you took of poll of the 10's of viewer on your channel they would tell you the same, its not the game, its you Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by SurvivorSean View Post
    I've already programmed a car forwarding system that uses waybills vs randomly picking industry tags for Run8. V2 came in with quite a bit of potential and has been lots of fun. But RTS was never developed further because running it within V2 though possible would require too much manual intervention (defeating the purpose of the built in AI spawning currently in Run8). Last night I ran what could be my very last Run8 session (depending on what they do with their program down the road).

Since V2 came out, we got AI trains which on their own run just fine following signals etc. The auto tagging though nice doesn't rely on probability or waybills and simply spits out tags at will even if set to blocked. As for the AI spawning well it does rely on at least probability, however those values are never really used because of issues with their random number generator calling. Basically the numbers are not seeded, and I've seen this issue come up even with RTS. For example 200 trains are available in the system and the same train gets called twice in a row, and I've even seen 3 times with a bigger pool. Last night was possibly the final straw for me when a train for SDG got called twice in a row, and I forget the other one I seen. For the most part I don't worry too much about the repeated symbols, however when it involves a unique train, it can drastically change the traffic pattern. In places like a yard such as Hobart cars are being tagged with a dominant string of tags over 24 hours producing 3 trains to the same location where others that also have daily service get little to none.

You said you don't want a simulator that repeats the same mistakes. That's good to know because I don't want to operate under those conditions again, even after 6 years of watching this sim grow and prosper. For me that is now in the past now. I'll always see what is new and coming out to see if these things get fixed, but I doubt it ever will at least not to my satisfaction. So now I'm looking forward.

Things on the plate for me that I never got to try was an external dispatcher, and AI dispatching. I'm also interested in AI switching. RTS itself will embrace that new direction by focusing on the data and logic that made RTS Beta special. I won't focus on what I'm not good at (that is graphics). My goal is to eventually have a stream of income, though I want to eventually test this on either an engine or simulation that I develop that is data driven. As much as I know how to code, I'm not that much into coding.

So I'm interested in what you come up with on the simulator side. As much as I love the physics of a Run8 it never had to be perfect for me just enough to convince me. It's the logistics and car forwarding that has disappointed me because it's no where close to reaching it's full potential. Running a server 2 nights a week is time I could spend on something better if I find the drive. If what I have interests your project I'd be more than happy to discuss further. Regardless, I'll be developing my end very soon.

Thanks

Sean
    Thanks for your reply, I will keep this thread updated with our progress.
    I am definitely interested in what you created, I personally haven't heard of you plugin before, but I don't really play run8 i and ii.
    Auto tagging is what I think the number mentioned on a train right?
    So the problem is that they just got a bad system of what train to dispatch, that should be not too hard to solve I think?
    My function is mostly graphics and game engine side, and a very tiny bit of physics, but mostly graphics and engine.

But let me just verify this, I am right your plugin is car forwarding, so you prepare trains to drive them(or let someone else drive) right?
    This is something we haven't started to think and worry about yet, we start with actually being able to sit in a train and drive it around a route.(Which is going the right way currently)

Currently, we haven't got to the point of car forwarding and complex AI yet, but I personally am interested.
    So if you want to tell me more about car forwarding or your project, I'd be happy to talk over PM.

Have a good night.

Tim

Hi Tim:

Actually if there is anything I'll be doing is likely going back to the modules I've wrote for Run8, and take what worked good back then. I'm more on the data end of things strength wise, so I'll likely focus on those aspects for the time being.

Whenever you get to that point of thinking about car forwarding feel free to look me up either PM or you can check out whatever I have going on at the links below.

Best of luck with your project.

Thanks

Sean