Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ghan

Default The Ghan

Last night (Sunday 9th. January 2018) the national SBS network Down Here ran a 3-hour, without commercials or breaks, trip on The Ghan....the longest passenger train in the world, with an average length of 1.1 kms, made up of between 38 and 44 cars hauled by two NR Class 4,000hp locos.

The journey starts in Adelaide, then 2900 kilometres north to Darwin...a trip which takes 54 hours in real time.

There were multiple camera angles - in-cab, front of loco, external fixed, external helicopter, under-train,.....you name it, they covered it.
    The cinematography was nothing short of brilliant.

This was/is a "must watch" for any train enthusiast and particularly for one contemplating a trip to Australia.

You can check out the train at:-
    http://greatsouthernrail.com.au/trains/the-ghan

....and the SBS programme at:-
    https://www.sbs.com.au/guide/article...-train-journey
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

2. Default

I saw a one on TV here about railway trips one was about the Ghan, not 3hrs though wow. I watched a slow tv channel on Netflix about salmon fishing I fell asleep. I do have a load of pictures of these was thinking about the set.
    Toronto Mainline Trains
    www.torontomainlinetrains.ca
    www.mapleleaftracks.com A Division Of Toronto Mainline Trains
    Subscribe Youtube
    Like Us On Facebook
    Follow Us On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoMainlineTrains View Post
    ...... I do have a load of pictures of these was thinking about the set.
    Please create it if you have the time and desire; I am sure that you will have plenty of Aussie enthusiasts who would appreciate the set.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Bruce, i watched a program about the Ghan on UK tv last week.

It was part of the Mighty Trains series.

I wish some one would create the whole route with loco's and rolling stock for TS2018.
    Remember always that a wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust

Or even better the old narrow gauge line which I believe took 36 hours to travel one way?
    Vern.

Now you know i don't do NG, Vern.

It would be good either way though buddy.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Now you know i don't do NG, Vern. ....
    It wasn't narrow narrow-gauge, Mike.
    It was the old 3'-6" gauge, which was the standard for South Australia (and still is in parts).

But Vern is correct....the one-way trip, which only ran as far as Alice Springs took forever back in the early years.

This line was replaced (completed in 1980) by a standard-gauge line which was then extended to Darwin, opening in 1984.

The operations were carried out by Commonwealth Railways (who also did the east-west Indian Pacific) and after privatisation (2004) The Ghan and the I-P came under Great Southern Railway's control.

Now look here young master Bruce, anything under 7ft 1/4inch is NG

Yeah good info Bruce, most of that was in the tv proggie i watched.

All you have to do now buddy, is get route building LOL

Well i didn't know the Australian rail network had been privatised Bruce.

I watched another tv series called Railroad Australia at the end of last year.

http://www.radiotimes.com/tv-program...oad-australia/

I wondered why i didn't recognise any of the liveries, like NSWR & VR etc.

No offence to our Colonial cousins, but i would find Australian railways more interesting than North American in TS20xx.

Mike.

Rushey Platt Junction, Darkest Wiltshire.

The Ghan is featured in episodes of Mighty Trains, Railroad Australia, and Chris Tarrant's Extreme Railways.

The wonderful thing about The Ghan is that, when the new train was introduced (on the new track to Darwin) the consist rarely saw more than a dozen cars behind the loco.
    Over the years since then the popularity of the trip has exceeded all expectations and at the height of the season (May through September....our cooler, drier months), the train usually runs at maximum capacity.

As for the Indian Pacific, although it continues to be extremely popular it never has a consist as long as The Ghan.

It's nice to know that Australia not only runs the longest mineral trains but also the longest passenger train.