Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scenery Object Question

Default Scenery Object Question

I'm trying to figure out how to make a scenery object that does not pivot around the Z axis when rotated, like a road or track section. I want to pivot it sideways and up/down, but not twist.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm using TSM.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently-talented fool.

That should be determined by how the object is used in the sim rather than how the shape is constructed (i.e. set up as a track or road object rather than just static

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    That should be determined by how the object is used in the sim rather than how the shape is constructed (i.e. set up as a track or road object rather than just static
    While I did not get success, to achieve what is being asked , I did have the following, work, with roadways.

Using all normal processes, once the (.s ) shape ready to load into the sim, I entered the shape in the REF file, in the "TrackObject" class.

Back to the Route Editor, I could "hinge" the road piece, to go up or down, and behave the same as a roadway ( TrackObject ) shape.

Once saved, in Route Editor, I then "edited"..., the world file, to change-back, only the object "class" , to the "Static) " world object "class".

While it worked with a roadway piece, the object could have been "anything", such as a building, that needs to be "tilted" along just once direction / axis.

Using Sketchup for modelbuilding, you can "rotate" the model, on only one axis at-a-time, if desired.

And use the "arrow keys", for positioning, on only one axis at-a-time. I would be "toast", if I did not have this modelbuilding feature !..'-).

This way, you can "Save", ( in your modelbuilding program ), a "pre-rotated" model, "as is" ( although the resulting "bounding box" will have a "weird" alignment ).

Jean Brisson ( MSTS-only ) Route Builder

Jean,

I tried your suggestion, but with no success. My shape will still pivot along the Z axis.

Here's what I'm trying to do.

I use the Object Alignment Utility to align things like electrical wires. I use road sections, placed at the base of a power pole, then raised to the top of the pole or the crossbar, and the road section aligned up and down/right and left to align with the same spot on the next pole. I then align the wires with the road section, making them fit nicely between the poles at the correct angle, etc.

The problem I have with using road sections is that at times placing/deleting a road section has corrupted the roads database to the point of it being unusable. I would rather use a static shape to do my alignments with instead of a road section, so I'm trying to figure out how to make a shape (long, flat, narrow like a road section) I can use that doesn't affect the roads database. I need a shape that will pivot right/left and up/down but not twist.

There must be some guidance somewhere on how to make a road section or track section...
    Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Just a heads up as I think you know I'm modding all the PRR Philadelphia Terminal area (6 tiles) tracks using the new TSRE editor.
    There is no need to do what you are attempting to do with the MSTS editor.

With TSRE, the new route editor you can use ANY object to align ANY other object. You can level terrain with dumb road pieces, no need to worry about corrupting any database files.
    There are still some minor issues, no gradient display for Dynamic Track for example but there are no 'show stoppers'. Much, much easier to use once you're up to speed on the controls.

What I did, in a 20 minute time period mind you, was to create a 6 tile route and proceeded to practice build, track, roads, car spawns, signals, platform & siding markers all with no database corruption. I built quite a kludge of track and roads for the two weeks it took me to get a basic understanding of the controls.

Only thing to remember when modding a route with interactives installed is this:
    "Never alter track (vector) between two JunctionNodes or between a JunctionNode and a EndNode if there are interactives on that track vector."
    Doesn't matter if the two nodes are miles apart;
    Any interactives on the vector (the track) between the two nodes MUST be removed before altering the track.[ [my emphasis]

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Thanks, Vince.

I've tried the new route editor twice, can't get it to work.

Note my signature...
    Jeff

Hi Jeff,

No problem, I'll get you going.
    The method of installing was changed a couple of weeks back to make it simpler. Now you just D/L the TSRE5_v0.6952.exe and when you run it, it downloads the rest of the data it needs. Here's how it's done:

1. Create a folder on your desktop. Name it TSRE
    2. Download TSRE5_v0.6952.exe to the just created folder.
    3. Open the folder.
    4 Double click on the TSRE5_v0.6952.exe file to run it. This will download more data to the folder.
    The folder contents will look like this:TSRE Folder Contents.jpg
    5. Open the Settings.txt file. Mine looks like this:

Code:
    consoleOutput = false

# main directory of your game data
    gameRoot = E:/Train Simulator-PRR 
    #gameRoot = E:/Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator 

# route directory name to load on startup by default
    #routeName = 1LIRR TSRE5 Edited 3-01-2017
    routeName = PRR EAST REG 

optional start tile
    #startTileX = -5306
    #startTileY = 14961
    startTileY = 14318
    startTileX = -11008
    #startTileY = 14360
    #startTileX = -10959

# route edit
    #createNewIfNotExist = true
    writeEnabled = true
    writeTDB = true
    #deleteTrWatermarks = true
    #deleteViewDbSpheres = true

# geo data
    geoPath = F:/hgst

# misc
    #systemTheme = true
    #colorConView = #FF0000
    #colorShapeView = #00FF00
    #toolsHidden = true
    usenNumPad = true
    tileLod = 2
    objectLod = 4000
    maxObjLag = 10
    allowObjLag = 1000
    #cameraFov = 20.0
    leaveTrackShapeAfterDelete = false
    #renderTrItems = true
    #useImperial = false
    #ortsEngEnable = false
    oglDefaultLineWidth = 5
    shadowsEnabled = 0
    mstsshadows = 1
    ignoreMissingGlobalShapes = true
    snapableOnlyRot = false
    imageMapsUrl = 
    #AASamples = 16
    #mapImageResolution = 2048
    cameraStickToTerrain = true
    #mouseSpeed = 0.1
    cameraSpeedMin = 15 
    cameraSpeedStd = 0.10
    cameraSpeedMax = 2
    +++ A hashtag '#' means text in the line following the # is a comment.
    If a Start Tile is not specified here, the Start Tile defined in the routes TRK file will be used. I use Optional Start Tile so the editor opens where I am working without having to change the route TRK file.

+++ gameRoot = E:/Train Simulator-PRR is the main Train Simulator folder.
    +++ routeName = PRR EAST REG Put a routename here so route loads by default when I start the editor.
    +++ The other values in the above settings are a combination of Goku's default settings and mine, specifically the camera settings so they work better for editing. Leave your camera setting at default, try it out, then try mine, The changes I made make the default camera movement nice and slow. To go somewhat faster I press SHIFT with pinky finger. To go super fast, press CTRL with said pinky.

The camera labels will confuse you if you try to figure out my logic. All I can say is try it. Just place a # in front of the existing camera statements and then copy mine in below the commented out default camera setting.

To run the editor, in the folder click on the TSRE5_v0.6955.exe file or create a shortcut to this.
    You will use this each time you run the editor.

I urge you to use the manual and create a small 1 or 2 tile route and practice a lot for at least two weeks. Seriously, please don't attempt editing on a route project you have going.The TSRE editor controls are NOT what you and I are used to using and it gave me some problems at first.
    It helped me greatly to have the Manual printed out before I ever attempted any editing. Good thing too! I screwed up plenty at first but I screwed up a quick made test route (20 minutes) so it's a good learning experience.
    Took me two solid weeks before I felt confident enough to take the plunge into all editing via TSRE . . . and I have never looked back.

Now before you get all soggy and hard to light think back to your first experience with the MSTS Route Editor . . .ahhh yes, thems wuz the daze . . . a really frustrating time you well remember. Took 6 damn months before anyone knew how to put a hole in the terrain for a tunnel, remember?

Well, TSRE is a bit like that except now you have a lot more support for your questions and a really MUCH greater return for your efforts. TSRE is to me a real joy to use where the utility tools you needed with MSTS are now built into TSRE.
    Enjoy!

regards.
    Last edited by Vince; 02-01-2018 at 11:35 PM.

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

And 3rd time's a charm... still can't get this to work. I've downloaded both the .6952 and 6955 versions, followed your directions to the letter, and still get the same results from both. See screenshots.

I've modified the settings to look at the route I'm working on, but it always asks for the Train Simulator folder. Even after selecting the route I want to edit I get this error.

It lets me select the route I want to edit, then crashes.

So what am I doing wrong?

Windows 7 SP 1 laptop, 4 Gb RAM, Mobile Intel 965 Express Video Chipset

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff

Right! Totally expected behavior . . . Ye Olde Rule says:
    If you install your MSTS into \Program Files\ or \program Files (x86)\ expect problems due to Microsoft Security.

It looks like your install went okay as I see the routes listed correctly.
    Make sure the TSRE settings are set up correctly. You'll have to read the manual for this of you can copy mine but you'll still have to point it to your install.
    regards,
    My TSRE Settings.txt file:

Code:
    consoleOutput = false
    # Means this lines following text line is a comment.
    # main directory of your game data
    gameRoot = C:\TSRE 
    #gameRoot = E:/Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator 

# route directory name to load on startup by default
    #routeName = 1LIRR TSRE5 Edited 3-01-2017
    #routeName = PRR EAST REG 

#optional start tile If not active then the routes start tile defined in the ROUTE.TRK file will be used 
    #startTileX = -5306
    #startTileY = 14961

# route edit
    #createNewIfNotExist = true
    writeEnabled = true
    writeTDB = true
    #deleteTrWatermarks = true
    #deleteViewDbSpheres = true

# geo data Pick a valid drive/folder on your system. See Manual
    geoPath = F:/hgst

# misc
    #systemTheme = true
    #colorConView = #FF0000
    #colorShapeView = #00FF00
    #toolsHidden = true
    usenNumPad = true
    tileLod = 2
    objectLod = 4000
    maxObjLag = 10
    allowObjLag = 1000
    #cameraFov = 20.0
    leaveTrackShapeAfterDelete = false
    #renderTrItems = true
    #useImperial = false
    #ortsEngEnable = false
    oglDefaultLineWidth = 5
    shadowsEnabled = 1
    mstsshadows = 1
    ignoreMissingGlobalShapes = true
    snapableOnlyRot = false
    imageMapsUrl = 
    #AASamples = 16
    #mapImageResolution = 2048
    cameraStickToTerrain = true
    #mouseSpeed = 0.1
    cameraSpeedMin = 15 
    cameraSpeedStd = 0.10
    cameraSpeedMax = 2
    Regards,

OK, I'll admit that I've seen no small amount of heartburn concerning installing MSTS in the Windows 7 Program Files (x86) directory; but I've not had a problem with it - it works fine on my computer.

Anyway, I have a second install on another drive, path is E:\Train Simulator. When changing the path in TSRE settings to that path I get the same error I pictured in my last post.

Where is this manual you keep mentioning? I cannot find it. It did not download with the TSRE software.

Thanks for helping me with this, I appreciate your patience (although I'm beginning to lose mine...). :-)
    Jeff